Significant other's thoughts on your weight loss

Options

Replies

• Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    When I was married, my hubby used to sabatoge me... he did not like when I was smaller and fit because he did like the attention I got (all in his mind). Later I found that part of the reason was because he was afraid I would cheat on him because he had a guilty conscience.

Now that I am happily single, my older children are my only issue because they LOVE pizza, and I cannot seem to turn down a piece of pizza if it's offered.... :wink:

It sounds like your ex husband and my ex bf might be brothers!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive as he can be he doesn't understand it quite since him and his family are all rail thin but he tries to be supportive! I'm trying to stay confident and he's always like your fine to me but if this is what you want go for it sweety!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Shwiiiiing!

Yep. This.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    My husband has finally figured out that being supportive means just agreeing with whatever I say. :laugh:

Ok, not really, but when I lost some weight a few years ago he went full-on FOOD POLICE and it sucked. We've both matured since then, though. It didn't occur to me until I was reading this thread that I'm smaller than I was when we first started dating. That's weird. And I'm about the same size I was when we got married, but a totally different shape since that time I lost weight through a starvation diet and that's not really the look I'm going for now. Plus, two kids and thirteen years will change you no matter what you do.
  • KtotheD78
    KtotheD78 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The only thing he noticed was that he can now feel my hipbones *lol*
    I've lost 13 pounds so I think for him - he didn't really notice or care. Other than that he's happy that I am happy *lol*
    He is good as long as my boobs don't disappear when I lay down ;)
  • taylan14
    taylan14 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My husband does not like thin girls in the least. Lucky for me - I am not thin at all...LOL - My goal has always been to look young and cute - so far- I'm doing okay. I SHOULD lose about 80 or so pounds - but no way would he be happy with that. I am thinking I will be happy with about 65 total pounds gone. We will see when I get there. But he already misses some of my curves..........
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    My husband thinks I'm a hot chick. I think he likes that I can still fit into the same clothes I wore when we met 12 years ago. On my worst days he still thinks I'm adorable and I think he's crazy for it. He wears rose-colored glasses just for me, so I look good no matter what. :smooched:

P.S. He supports pretty much whatever I want to do, so I know he's always got my back when it comes to gaining or losing. :drinker:
  • oliviabog
    oliviabog Posts: 101
    Options
    He thinks the weight loss is great but wouldn't want it to go too far. He doesn't like women that look too thin, i.e ribs showing etc. That's fine with me as i like my food.

I'm really into long distance running and he worries more that I'll hurt myself and tells me that before i go out. So, overall i think he's happy for me to be fit and healthy but while maintaining a balance. So I'm trying not to go crazy on runs every day.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My husband wouldn't want me to get "too skinny". He likes my curves. But, he likes my curves to be firm and fit (not extra padding). We are in agreement on my fitness goals. He helps me with my confidence and he supports me in my dedication to fitness.
  • perfkdrug
    perfkdrug Posts: 24
    Options
    I don't talk about weight loss or anything like that around him, but he did notice as I started to lose weight. I think he's really happy and is quite supportive in that he *does* notice (kind of amazing, he's not normally one to notice anything or say much you know?) and on top of that he is happy that I have substituted some lighter options into his regular meals.
  • loves03
    loves03 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My husband has been 100% supportive. He even cooks for me (lots of grilled chicken and shrimp :)).

I'm the kind of person who can't tell I'm losing weight (unless I take before and after pictures) but he always lets me know when he notices a change. First it was my butt looks smaller, then my waist, just the other day he said my legs were skinner. I love when he compliments me, it makes me feel good and it lets me know he can see the difference. We both joined bootcamp and are losing a lot of inches. He still needs to work on his eating, but I noticed now that I'm eating healthier he is eating a lot more healthier too.

I have been small, med, large, and Xlarge and he has always told me I'm beautiful.
  • beckieboomoo
    beckieboomoo Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    My bf is very supportive but also says i look good how i am am 5"4 and weigh 195 pound :L he does like us bigger girls with fat
    curvs :p but has also said he will like me at my healthy weight ;) and his happy cuz of ive always had junk in the trunk and big boobs even when i was 145 lb :)
  • NJD2885
    NJD2885 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My husband is so supportive. He married me at my heaviest and has always acted like I am the most beautiful person in the world, and he is always encouraging me and telling me how great i'm doing. he also watches the kids so i can workout. i've lost 18 altogether got another 63-68 lbs to go :)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    at first, when I first found MFP, he thought i was obsessing about logging every single bite. He came around. By the time I posted my one year blog with before and current pics, and he saw the change in the photos as a drastic change instead of seeing me every day, he is totally supportive now.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    In the 2 years I've been here, I only lost 1 pound...that i keep gaining back.
    So my boyfriend is always nagging that I need to work out. I gained some weight at the same time as I did while I was pregnant. So i thought he was overweight too. He got his measurement taken and he's totally in shape. :mad:

And I am a class 1 obese.:sad:
  • sidewinder76
    sidewinder76 Posts: 287
    Options
    SO hates my weight loss, hates the gym, hates me running, and hates that I love it. I really don't care what she or anyone else thinks. Just trying to be healthier, happier, live longer....wonder why that bothers her...oh well :)
  • Jokenmit
    Jokenmit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    mine likes big girls and always has. that's just who he is. and although he supports me its to a limit...he has asked that I stop before I lose all my "cuggles" lol ...for him I will. I never wanted to be skinny...just happy and healthy :)
  • Saucy_lil_Minx
    Saucy_lil_Minx Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    My husband is supportive when he wants to be, and not when he is moody. I learned last year I will do what I need to do for me, and my son's health. He now goes along with it mostly because our son is now directly affected by poor diet decisions (high cholesterol), and he really does not have a choice if he wants to eat... lol. He still has his moments, and I ignore the baby fits, and keep on truckin!
  • nahiluoh
    nahiluoh Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My wife is pregnant so she hates it! lol She joked the other day that every pound I lose she gains.

My wife is pregnant too and she is supportive. She insisted I keep going to my trainer twice a week despite the expense.

The tough part was when we recently passed each other in weight -- me going down, her going up (obviously). That little moment was a bit of a bummer for her since we're eight inches apart in height.

But I assure her all will get back to normal post-baby (it is our third so she knows what to do).
  • crisbabe81
    crisbabe81 Posts: 170
    Options
    My husband is very supportive of me losing weight. He has started to be healthier as well. 80% of the time he is at the gym with me! I'm happier and more confident and that makes him happy!! He doesn't like the fact that I hate leaving the house (fear of cheating). But we've compromised... been having friends over a lot more.