Not so nice "support"

Options
I lost FIFTY pounds and recently gained about five back. I have stopped logging calories but remain mindful of my eating and continue to workout (cardio and weight lifting) five days a week. I feel like the gain is likely muscle and TOM this week. I have been at maintenance since October. 5'4" and 134 lbs

Tonight my husband has made some mean spirited comments and I am about ready to explode. First he says my arm muscles are big but were more cut before. Later he said something about how my but looked larger when my middle was smaller and more defined. Apparently my but is old and flat. Even later, I went to the cabinet to make a bean burrito with non fat refried beans, wheat tortilla and low fat cheese for dinner and he said he can't believe that those even made it home. After that, I left the house and cried. I had no idea what to do so I headed for the gym for another thirty minutes of cardio.

I admit that I have been encouraging my skinny fat guy to work out with me and eat better but nothing as mean as this. I am about his health he seems to be focusing on my fat.

What gives, I am working so hard and I am actually to the point of anger over the negative comments right now.

Replies

• SexyKatherine73
    SexyKatherine73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have no answer but I offer you a HUG
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think you need to ask him, not us.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You look amazing. I'll swap bodies. He's got issues.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hit Strong Curves by Bret Contraras and turn that booty into a dream.

He sounds a bit scared that he might lose you! Tell him he's pushing you away by saying that stuff. He may be unconsciously undermining you, do you want that? Sometimes getting our bodies back reveals some emotional things we may have been hiding from.

I know that by emotional eating and have a mediocre body, life was much easier. Now I'm single and have a great body I get to date hot young guys and deal with my anxious attachment issues. I've cried more in the last three years about this than my entire previous 41 years!
  • denvoyager
    denvoyager Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    It would be awfully easy to just say -' ditch the eedjit!' , but it's not easy to do. Before you approach your hubby with your concerns, take yourself off to a nice quiet place,and take a pencil and a pad. Have a cup or thermos with you, to enjoy a drink on your own.
    Then, like Robinson Crusoe, draw a line down the page and write down different aspects of yourself that are: a) enjoyable or 'feelgood'. ....and b) problematic or 'non feelgood'. Like youself,old Robbo seemed to be alone,and was trying to sort himself out, to deal with his life by looking at it in black and white.
    You may find some things are out of proportion, like ' I like people' to ' I like tea' !, but I'm sure you get my drift.
    You can do this for other aspects of life, over a period.
    Decide to change/emphasise something small, easy to do , and you will have achieved the following:
    I have identified what the problem is.
    I've started to deal with it!
    I hope this helps you. Please feel free to write back. It'll come good again, don't worry,Den
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    bstetson1 wrote: »
    I lost FIFTY pounds and recently gained about five back. I have stopped logging calories but remain mindful of my eating and continue to workout (cardio and weight lifting) five days a week. I feel like the gain is likely muscle and TOM this week. I have been at maintenance since October. 5'4" and 134 lbs

Tonight my husband has made some mean spirited comments and I am about ready to explode. First he says my arm muscles are big but were more cut before. Later he said something about how my but looked larger when my middle was smaller and more defined. Apparently my but is old and flat. Even later, I went to the cabinet to make a bean burrito with non fat refried beans, wheat tortilla and low fat cheese for dinner and he said he can't believe that those even made it home. After that, I left the house and cried. I had no idea what to do so I headed for the gym for another thirty minutes of cardio.

I admit that I have been encouraging my skinny fat guy to work out with me and eat better but nothing as mean as this. I am about his health he seems to be focusing on my fat.

What gives, I am working so hard and I am actually to the point of anger over the negative comments right now.

How long have you been encouraging him and how often? If it is like, ask him a couple of times in the last months if he wants to go out with you for a run, then there is no excuse for his behaviour. If you have been regularly criticising his eating choices, or if you have told him to his face he is skinny fat or not fit enough etc, then it was inevitable that at some point he would decide it is his turn to be mean.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    1) I think you look amazing - look at you in that legging shot - you have a body to be bloody proud of !

2) what else is going on with him? ... is he normally this much of an *kitten*?
    - only you can say if this is his normal modus operandi or if something else is up (it sounds to me like he's lashing out for some reason)

3) tell him what an *kitten* he is, tell him how upset you are.. he needs to know that whatever is troubling him he can't just become a fountain of negative ire .. but seriously you're only resolution for this is talking to him
  • Lissa_Kaye
    Lissa_Kaye Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    awe, not cool, dont let it get you down girl
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Sorry you let him make you feel this way.

I will love to have your physique. You should love it too.
    Just about when I hit 40, is when I stopped giving an 'F' what other people thought of me and what I look like. Being happy and healthy is more important to me, than making someone else happy. Also, I control my happiness and sadness for the most part.

Blessings to you.
  • burnsgene42
    burnsgene42 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I admire your spirit. When you were feeling down and dismal you went and worked out. You didn't go to the Ice Cream shop or St@rbucks. Way to go!!!!
    Have pity on your poor husband (- Sounds like he may have been having a bad day.
    Personally I have to keep counting my calories or I will gradually slip back into old habits.
    But as you know you are in charge of you. Looks to me like you're doing a great job.
    Stay with it. (;
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Time to have a chat with your husband and not a bunch of internet strangers.

• Datarn
    Datarn Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

Good words!
  • theboys020409
    Options
    Greetings! 9 times out of 10 he did not mean what he said! He is talking crazy because he is afraid he will lose you because you are looking and feeling good inside and out!!! He is afraid another man that works out and eats like you do will steal you away! Just assure him that you love him and only him and keep up the good work! At the end of the day he will respect and admire all your efforts! Hang in there and always remember the old saying for every obstacle and situation! This to shall pass!!! :)
  • alaynavee
    alaynavee Posts: 148 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    1) I think you look amazing - look at you in that legging shot - you have a body to be bloody proud of !

2) what else is going on with him? ... is he normally this much of an *kitten*?
    - only you can say if this is his normal modus operandi or if something else is up (it sounds to me like he's lashing out for some reason)

3) tell him what an *kitten* he is, tell him how upset you are.. he needs to know that whatever is troubling him he can't just become a fountain of negative ire .. but seriously you're only resolution for this is talking to him

This ^^^ ...you've worked very hard to make yourself look near perfect and his comments are HURTFUL, and by walking away without saying anything, you are taking them in and by default accepting them. It takes guts, but I learned to stand up to negativity and criticism in my marriage by putting on a self-protective "shield" and absolutely refusing to take any comment that did not make me feel good about me. Someone said this already, your guy has issues with himself that he may be taking out on you. I hope things get better!! Hugs to you (O)
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Maybe he doesn't want you to get a big ego so he's tearing you down.
  • Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just break up.

Or you know. Be aware he has no self confidence and talk things out with him rather than the internet.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »

This. We cannot tell you why your husband acts the way he does and what his reasoning is or what is going through his head at that point. Definitely talk it out with him, getting angry and not dealing with the issue isn't good.
  • FabsolutelyMe
    FabsolutelyMe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please don't get discouraged by his comments. It reads to me that he is a bit threatened by this new sexy mama you've become. Not just in appearance, but also in confidence. I'd definitely let him know how hurtful he's being and then try to reassure him that your doing this for you and that you need him to be more supportive. If that doesn't work then take that frustration out in the gym and give him something to worry about!! Just joking..but just let those words wash off of you. He'll come around and realize there's nothing to worry about. If not and it continues, then let him know he is pushing you away and that he is making it harder to look to him for support in more ways than one. Good luck to you!! Be strong and know you are doing the right thing for your health!!!
  • NatJ522
    NatJ522 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You need to talk to him and let him know he is really hurting your feelings. By the way, you look amazing!