Alkaline water?

Options
Does anyone drink alkaline water? I've recently started drinking Alkalife10 and I wanna hear from someone who has been drinking alkaline water for a while. What's the best brand? Is it better to have natural alkaline water or artificial?

Thanks for you help!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    It's pseudo science. The body regulates ph balance on it's own. Save your money.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • yansbans
    yansbans Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I buy my Alkaline water from Trader Joe's.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    yansbans wrote: »

Why do you disagree with Science?

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    No.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Don't quote me on this, but I've heard that squeezing a lemon into water and drinking that (hot or cold) can make the body more alkaline? Even though citrus/lemon is acidic the stomach tries to turn it alkaline, in turn creating a more alkaline environment. Probably bol*ocks though!
  • ughbrit
    ughbrit Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yansbans wrote: »

the-good-thing-about-science-via-ring-of-fire-radio.png?w=455&h=258
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The main problem with the concept is that it is impossible to alter the pH of a patient's blood without causing severe health concerns. Mammalian blood contains a vast number of different pH buffers which evolved to automatically raise or lower the blood pH if a deviation occurs.[4] These buffers heep the pH of human blood between 7.35 and 7.45. If the buffers become saturated and the pH of the blood is altered more than +/-0.4 pH, death will result.[5] It is commonly claimed by alkaline diet proponents that cancer cells are killed in an alkaline environment, which is true, but so are almost all other cells in the human body.

Proponents will attempt to disregard the above by reminding us that it is possible to alter the pH of urine by eating or drinking particular foods, which is also true, but is completely independent of the blood pH. This is based on the metabolites of certain food chemicals (referred to as "Ash") becoming concentrated in the urine.[6] As a (healthy) bladder is an independent receptacle in the body, the pH of the fluid contained therein also has no effect on the blood pH. A different attempt at disregarding this is the claim that blood pH is balanced not by buffers but by excess acid being dumped from the blood into the cytoplasm of cells, meaning that blood pH won't reveal that your cells are dangerously acidic; needless to say, this is false.

Another clue of the ineffectiveness of an alkaline diet is that whatever food you eat will (obviously) pass through your stomach. The acidity of the stomach is affected by things such as stress, amount of food eaten, or infections. Eating acidic or alkaline foods has no effect on stomach pH, in much the same way as it has no effect on the pH of blood.[7]
    More recently, proponents claim that the benefits arise from reducing acid load in the body. It is claimed that when acid load is too high, "alkaline minerals" such as calcium are reclaimed by the body from bones leading to conditions such as osteoporosis. Meta-analysis studies have shown this is not the case.[8]

Far from being healthy, alkaline diets could actually be harmful, as they recommend removing certain food groups altogether rather than reducing certain types within the groups. Examples would be removing all fats and oils from the diet which provide Essential Fatty Acids, and dairy products, which are excellent sources of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin D which is difficult to find in foods outside of dairy products.[9]
    A further theoretical problem comes from the definition of "acid/alkaline food" used by many proponents of the diet, which is based on burning the food in air and testing the pH of the resulting ashes and remains. The results of this uncontrolled oxidation have only the vaguest resemblance to the by-products created by the actual process of human digestion and respiration, which involves breaking down the food into its consistuent molecules and metabolising them separately.

[citation: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alkaline_diet ]

/thread
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Proponents do realize how poorly buffered pure water is right?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I was watching Property Brothers once where this crazy lady insisted on the brothers installing her insanely expensive and gawdy-looking alkaline water filter thingy in her renovated kitchen. They had to use up some of the budget just to install it in a place that wouldn't look stupid.

It's amazing the $$$ that people will spend on their woo.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    3x the price of regular bottled water for water with a little bit of baking soda added. Interesting. Wish I thought of it first.
  • wellz6
    wellz6 Posts: 81
    Options
    I'm a fan of structured water, but not alkaline water. Structured water is found in nature, alkaline water is not. Any time you stray away from what nature intended it can create problems. Drinking high ph water does not alkalize the body properly. Lemons are one of the most acidic foods on the planet but yet when it is digested it leaves alkaline ash which is healthy for the body.

Here are 7 reasons not to drink alkaline water from a good website on the properties of water:

1) Alkaline water may hinder digestion. The first and the most obvious red flag regarding the consumption of alkaline ionized water is its potential impact on digestion. Since the digestive process begins in the stomach—an extremely acidic environment—a person must ask the question: What is the impact of alkaline water on the digestive process? Fifty percent of people over the age of 60 are hypochlorhydric. This means that they can no longer produce enough stomach acid for optimal digestion. For these individuals, the consumption of alkaline water presents a problem. You might be surprised to discover how many people who drink alkaline ionized water end up with digestive trouble—and they have no idea it was caused by the water. Many of those who promote alkaline water are aware of this issue . . . that’s why they suggest NOT drinking it before meals.

2) Alkaline water does not balance the body’s pH. One of the arguments used in favor of alkaline water, supposes that its consumption will alkalize the body and negate the buildup of acids caused by our modern diet and lifestyle. If consuming alkaline food and alkaline water negated an acidic cellular environment, then eating well-cooked meat (known to be alkaline) would overcome acidity. Eating cooked meat does the exact opposite. By the same token, eating a lemon would contribute to acidosis — but lemons are known to be one of the most alkalizing foods. Obviously, balancing acidity in the human body is not as cut and dried as some would like to think. The consumption of acids or bases (alkaline), does not necessarily balance cellular pH. And while drinking alkaline water sometimes increases urine pH, it is not an indicator that the body’s pH is in balance. When measuring the fluids of the body, (particularly saliva and urine) several factors should be interpreted together to get an accurate picture. Equally important measurements of these fluids are: resistivity/conductivity, specific gravity, and rH2. One measurement without the others can be misleading. Measuring the pH of urine (a reflection of what the body is letting go of) is an oversimplification. Increased urine pH could also mean that the body is having to get rid of excessive alkaline minerals that are not in a form the body can utilize. When it comes right down to it, the body prefers to receive minerals in an organic form (in food). In this way, alkalizing minerals are linked with organic acids. This is the reason lemons contribute to alkalinity– they contain an abundance of alkalizing minerals yet they are balanced with organic acids so that the body can recognize and utilize them. All raw plant foods are acidic (with the exception of a few herbs). They are made of organic acids combined with organically-complexed minerals. This is the reason raw food tends to balance the body’s pH in a way that alkaline water cannot.

3) Ionization damages water’s life force. Another reason NOT to drink alkaline ionized water has to do with the molecular structure of water. Nature creates liquid crystalline (structured) water using movement and weak electromagnetic fields. Those who sell ionizers believe that the strong electric current used during ionization produces the same kind of water. It does not. Although electric currents cause water molecules to become more organized, strong electric currents (like those used during ionization) have a damaging effect on the electromagnetic field around water molecules. Ionized water is not coherent and it is not capable of maintaining long-range molecular organization. The water loses its structure when it is removed from the electric field. Water that has been treated in this manner is aggressive. It is no longer capable of carrying the finely-tuned signals and other vibratory information that water is intended to carry within the human body.

4) Alkaline ionized water contains minerals in an inorganic form that contribute to arterial plaque and joint disorders. During ionization, water molecules are split (ionized). Positively-charged water ions (H+) are attracted to negatively-charged mineral ions (phosphate, chloride, sulfide, iodide, etc.) to form a variety of acidic compounds in the acidic stream of water. Negatively-charged water ions (OH-) are attracted to positively-charged mineral ions (calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium) to form numerous alkaline compounds in the alkaline stream of water. The most common alkaline mineral compounds that form in alkaline ionized water are calcium hydroxide (lime), sodium hydroxide (lye), potassium hydroxide (caustic potash), and magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia). And because of the strong electric forces used during ionization, these compounds are not easily broken down. The alkaline minerals are not available for use in the body. If a person’s kidneys are functioning well, these inorganic mineral compounds will be excreted in urine. If not, they may end up as arterial plaque or as mineral deposits in joints and other tissues.

5) Alkaline water is imbalanced. Water ionizers separate water into two streams. The alkaline stream is consumed by those who drink ionized water. The chemistry of life is dependent on the balance between acids and bases. One without the other, for an extended period of time, is an invitation for trouble.

6) Alkaline ionized water may cause cell death and fibrosis of the heart. While alkaline ionized water has been in use in Japan for over 50 years, its use (until recently) has been restricted to clinical settings where the water was used in controlled amounts for short periods of time. There are no long-term studies to identify potential problems with either the extended or the exclusive use of this type of water. In the absence of controlled human studies, rats (with a shorter life span) have been the subjects of investigation. Three separate studies have shown that long-term consumption of alkaline ionized water produces cell death (necrosis), fibrosis, and other complications in the heart muscle in rats. Read abstract #1 Read abstract #2 Read abstract#3 Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi, a cardiac surgeon and Director of the Water Institute in Japan, was one of the scientists who conducted early research on alkaline ionized water. His work determined that the benefits of alkaline ionized water were due to hydrogen in the water. Ultimately, he renounced the use of ionized water in favor of other methods to produce hydrogen-rich water.

7)Alkaline ionized water is aggressive and unnatural. One of the biggest arguments in favor of alkaline ionized water is that its strong electron potential neutralizes free radicals. While it is true that alkaline ionized water has a strong electrical potential (evidenced by negative ORP values), the rH2 value (hydrogen potential) is a more accurate representation of electron potential than ORP alone. It measures the reducing power of a substance without the skewing effects of pH. Understanding rH2 measurements and Biological Terrain Analysis helps in the realization that water with a strongly negative ORP value is out of balance for the human body. It may initially contribute to a reduction of the free radical load however, continued consumption and the aggressive neutralization of oxygen radicals upsets cellular redox balance which plays a pivotal role in immune function and metabolic homeostasis. Oxygen radicals serve as signaling molecules. Medical research verifies that their absence is equally as harmful as their overabundance. The ongoing consumption of alkaline ionized water tips the balance and it opens the way for other metabolic consequences.
  • zchastain
    zchastain Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I had no idea alkaline water was a thing.

I like the chilled/filtered water from my fridge. Sometimes I drink straight from the tap. It's refreshing, hydrates my body, and is essentially free.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Also, I used to play Oregon Trail, and I'd always get the sad song and the warning when all there was to drink was alkaline water. My people would all be frowning around their wagon, and someone would always get cholera and die.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    wellz6 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of structured water, but not alkaline water. Structured water is found in nature, alkaline water is not. Any time you stray away from what nature intended it can create problems. Drinking high ph water does not alkalize the body properly. Lemons are one of the most acidic foods on the planet but yet when it is digested it leaves alkaline ash which is healthy for the body.

Here are 7 reasons not to drink alkaline water from a good website on the properties of water:

1) Alkaline water may hinder digestion. The first and the most obvious red flag regarding the consumption of alkaline ionized water is its potential impact on digestion. Since the digestive process begins in the stomach—an extremely acidic environment—a person must ask the question: What is the impact of alkaline water on the digestive process? Fifty percent of people over the age of 60 are hypochlorhydric. This means that they can no longer produce enough stomach acid for optimal digestion. For these individuals, the consumption of alkaline water presents a problem. You might be surprised to discover how many people who drink alkaline ionized water end up with digestive trouble—and they have no idea it was caused by the water. Many of those who promote alkaline water are aware of this issue . . . that’s why they suggest NOT drinking it before meals.

2) Alkaline water does not balance the body’s pH. One of the arguments used in favor of alkaline water, supposes that its consumption will alkalize the body and negate the buildup of acids caused by our modern diet and lifestyle. If consuming alkaline food and alkaline water negated an acidic cellular environment, then eating well-cooked meat (known to be alkaline) would overcome acidity. Eating cooked meat does the exact opposite. By the same token, eating a lemon would contribute to acidosis — but lemons are known to be one of the most alkalizing foods. Obviously, balancing acidity in the human body is not as cut and dried as some would like to think. The consumption of acids or bases (alkaline), does not necessarily balance cellular pH. And while drinking alkaline water sometimes increases urine pH, it is not an indicator that the body’s pH is in balance. When measuring the fluids of the body, (particularly saliva and urine) several factors should be interpreted together to get an accurate picture. Equally important measurements of these fluids are: resistivity/conductivity, specific gravity, and rH2. One measurement without the others can be misleading. Measuring the pH of urine (a reflection of what the body is letting go of) is an oversimplification. Increased urine pH could also mean that the body is having to get rid of excessive alkaline minerals that are not in a form the body can utilize. When it comes right down to it, the body prefers to receive minerals in an organic form (in food). In this way, alkalizing minerals are linked with organic acids. This is the reason lemons contribute to alkalinity– they contain an abundance of alkalizing minerals yet they are balanced with organic acids so that the body can recognize and utilize them. All raw plant foods are acidic (with the exception of a few herbs). They are made of organic acids combined with organically-complexed minerals. This is the reason raw food tends to balance the body’s pH in a way that alkaline water cannot.

3) Ionization damages water’s life force. Another reason NOT to drink alkaline ionized water has to do with the molecular structure of water. Nature creates liquid crystalline (structured) water using movement and weak electromagnetic fields. Those who sell ionizers believe that the strong electric current used during ionization produces the same kind of water. It does not. Although electric currents cause water molecules to become more organized, strong electric currents (like those used during ionization) have a damaging effect on the electromagnetic field around water molecules. Ionized water is not coherent and it is not capable of maintaining long-range molecular organization. The water loses its structure when it is removed from the electric field. Water that has been treated in this manner is aggressive. It is no longer capable of carrying the finely-tuned signals and other vibratory information that water is intended to carry within the human body.

4) Alkaline ionized water contains minerals in an inorganic form that contribute to arterial plaque and joint disorders. During ionization, water molecules are split (ionized). Positively-charged water ions (H+) are attracted to negatively-charged mineral ions (phosphate, chloride, sulfide, iodide, etc.) to form a variety of acidic compounds in the acidic stream of water. Negatively-charged water ions (OH-) are attracted to positively-charged mineral ions (calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium) to form numerous alkaline compounds in the alkaline stream of water. The most common alkaline mineral compounds that form in alkaline ionized water are calcium hydroxide (lime), sodium hydroxide (lye), potassium hydroxide (caustic potash), and magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia). And because of the strong electric forces used during ionization, these compounds are not easily broken down. The alkaline minerals are not available for use in the body. If a person’s kidneys are functioning well, these inorganic mineral compounds will be excreted in urine. If not, they may end up as arterial plaque or as mineral deposits in joints and other tissues.

5) Alkaline water is imbalanced. Water ionizers separate water into two streams. The alkaline stream is consumed by those who drink ionized water. The chemistry of life is dependent on the balance between acids and bases. One without the other, for an extended period of time, is an invitation for trouble.

6) Alkaline ionized water may cause cell death and fibrosis of the heart. While alkaline ionized water has been in use in Japan for over 50 years, its use (until recently) has been restricted to clinical settings where the water was used in controlled amounts for short periods of time. There are no long-term studies to identify potential problems with either the extended or the exclusive use of this type of water. In the absence of controlled human studies, rats (with a shorter life span) have been the subjects of investigation. Three separate studies have shown that long-term consumption of alkaline ionized water produces cell death (necrosis), fibrosis, and other complications in the heart muscle in rats. Read abstract #1 Read abstract #2 Read abstract#3 Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi, a cardiac surgeon and Director of the Water Institute in Japan, was one of the scientists who conducted early research on alkaline ionized water. His work determined that the benefits of alkaline ionized water were due to hydrogen in the water. Ultimately, he renounced the use of ionized water in favor of other methods to produce hydrogen-rich water.

7)Alkaline ionized water is aggressive and unnatural. One of the biggest arguments in favor of alkaline ionized water is that its strong electron potential neutralizes free radicals. While it is true that alkaline ionized water has a strong electrical potential (evidenced by negative ORP values), the rH2 value (hydrogen potential) is a more accurate representation of electron potential than ORP alone. It measures the reducing power of a substance without the skewing effects of pH. Understanding rH2 measurements and Biological Terrain Analysis helps in the realization that water with a strongly negative ORP value is out of balance for the human body. It may initially contribute to a reduction of the free radical load however, continued consumption and the aggressive neutralization of oxygen radicals upsets cellular redox balance which plays a pivotal role in immune function and metabolic homeostasis. Oxygen radicals serve as signaling molecules. Medical research verifies that their absence is equally as harmful as their overabundance. The ongoing consumption of alkaline ionized water tips the balance and it opens the way for other metabolic consequences.
    acb.jpg
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    Also, I used to play Oregon Trail, and I'd always get the sad song and the warning when all there was to drink was alkaline water. My people would all be frowning around their wagon, and someone would always get cholera and die.
    OMG! Oregon Trail! YES!!!

That is my scientific source for not drinking alkaline water.

Now I wish I could find my old game.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Is this the same for eating high alkaline foods as well? like regardless of what you eat the body is gonna regulate it anyway?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Is this the same for eating high alkaline foods as well? like regardless of what you eat the body is gonna regulate it anyway?

Yep. Nothing that you eat or drink is going to change the overall pH of your body.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The Acid/Alkaline Theory of Disease is Nonsense

slideaway1 wrote:
    I've heard that squeezing a lemon into water and drinking that (hot or cold) can make the body more alkaline? Even though citrus/lemon is acidic the stomach tries to turn it alkaline, in turn creating a more alkaline environment.
    The stomach is much more acidic than lemon juice, so no, it would not be able to turn anything alkaline.
    Once food moves into the first part of the small intestine, the environment becomes rather basic thanks to bile.
    lemons are known to be one of the most alkalizing foods
    Ionization damages water’s life force ... Water that has been treated in this manner is aggressive. It is no longer capable of carrying the finely-tuned signals and other vibratory information that water is intended to carry within the human body
    Nope. Nonsense.
    Positively-charged water ions (H+) are attracted to negatively-charged mineral ions (phosphate, chloride, sulfide, iodide, etc.) to form a variety of acidic compounds in the acidic stream of water
    There is so much wrong with this.
    H+ is not a "water ion", it's a hydrogen atom. A "water ion" would be a water molecule with a missing or extra electron, causing either a positive or negative overall charge.
    pH is a measure of acidity, a measure of how many free/extra hydrogen ions are running around loose in a solution.
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    It's so unbelievably annoying how so many people believe anything they read. How about using your actual brain and not just buying into all this gimmicky rubbish.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    OMG! Oregon Trail! YES!!!

That is my scientific source for not drinking alkaline water.

Now I wish I could find my old game.

@Alyssa_Is_LosingIt‌

http://time.com/3656635/play-oregon-trail-ms-dos-games-free/

You're welcome :)