Alkaline water?

Options

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    The dude who came up with this alkaline water nonsense doesn't believe in germ theory. That ought to tell you everything you need to know.

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/ph-miracle-living-dr-robert-o-young-finally-arrested-but-will-it-stop-him/
  • paisiovich
    paisiovich Posts: 19 Member
    Options

If you want to get alkalized.... Drink wheatgrass. One shot a day will bitter done
  • kaikea
    kaikea Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    wellz6 wrote: »
    I'm a fan of structured water, but not alkaline water. Structured water is found in nature, alkaline water is not. Any time you stray away from what nature intended it can create problems. Drinking high ph water does not alkalize the body properly. Lemons are one of the most acidic foods on the planet but yet when it is digested it leaves alkaline ash which is healthy for the body.

Here are 7 reasons not to drink alkaline water from a good website on the properties of water:

LOL

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Tinabob777 wrote: »
    Also, I used to play Oregon Trail, and I'd always get the sad song and the warning when all there was to drink was alkaline water. My people would all be frowning around their wagon, and someone would always get cholera and die.
    OMG! Oregon Trail! YES!!!

That is my scientific source for not drinking alkaline water.

Now I wish I could find my old game.

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games
  • landfish
    landfish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Here is something to think about. Your stomach's natural pH is in the 2.0 range. If you are just drinking a little alkaline water, that will get neutralized to... wait for it... water.

If you were drinking enough alkaline water to have an appreciable effect on your stomach acid, your mouth and esophagus would have chemical burns.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ...and all this time I thought alkaline water was just, you know, what I drink normally. Since I live in an area where the soil is alkaline and full of minerals and I figured it was another name for 'hard' water. ^_^
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Is this the same for eating high alkaline foods as well? like regardless of what you eat the body is gonna regulate it anyway?
    Yes. A big debate on the forums is about food that people eat (clean vs dirty) and in reality the body does just one thing with consumed food or drink. It breaks it down to it's simplest form and absorbs macros and micros from them. What can't be absorbed (fiber for example) gets expelled.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• thatbarista
    Options
    I just drink the Blk alkaline water because it looks cool. I don't care about the alkaline.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Is this the same for eating high alkaline foods as well? like regardless of what you eat the body is gonna regulate it anyway?

Yes unless there's something really really wrong with you, in which case you need to be seeing a doctor.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    Also, I used to play Oregon Trail, and I'd always get the sad song and the warning when all there was to drink was alkaline water. My people would all be frowning around their wagon, and someone would always get cholera and die.

@Alyssa_Is_LosingIt‌

http://time.com/3656635/play-oregon-trail-ms-dos-games-free/

You're welcome :)

You, sir, are awesome.

I probably should wait to play this after work today...
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

I love these forums!

tumblr_nijryycRXx1qlgbzbo6_500.gif
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Holy s---. I can't believe this is a "thing" and that people actually would believe this bulls---. Oh wait... this is the internet... never mind...
  • TheAnayalator
    TheAnayalator Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of structured water, but not alkaline water. Structured water is found in nature, alkaline water is not. Any time you stray away from what nature intended it can create problems. Drinking high ph water does not alkalize the body properly. Lemons are one of the most acidic foods on the planet but yet when it is digested it leaves alkaline ash which is healthy for the body.

Here are 7 reasons not to drink alkaline water from a good website on the properties of water:

1) Alkaline water may hinder digestion. The first and the most obvious red flag regarding the consumption of alkaline ionized water is its potential impact on digestion. Since the digestive process begins in the stomach—an extremely acidic environment—a person must ask the question: What is the impact of alkaline water on the digestive process? Fifty percent of people over the age of 60 are hypochlorhydric. This means that they can no longer produce enough stomach acid for optimal digestion. For these individuals, the consumption of alkaline water presents a problem. You might be surprised to discover how many people who drink alkaline ionized water end up with digestive trouble—and they have no idea it was caused by the water. Many of those who promote alkaline water are aware of this issue . . . that’s why they suggest NOT drinking it before meals.

2) Alkaline water does not balance the body’s pH. One of the arguments used in favor of alkaline water, supposes that its consumption will alkalize the body and negate the buildup of acids caused by our modern diet and lifestyle. If consuming alkaline food and alkaline water negated an acidic cellular environment, then eating well-cooked meat (known to be alkaline) would overcome acidity. Eating cooked meat does the exact opposite. By the same token, eating a lemon would contribute to acidosis — but lemons are known to be one of the most alkalizing foods. Obviously, balancing acidity in the human body is not as cut and dried as some would like to think. The consumption of acids or bases (alkaline), does not necessarily balance cellular pH. And while drinking alkaline water sometimes increases urine pH, it is not an indicator that the body’s pH is in balance. When measuring the fluids of the body, (particularly saliva and urine) several factors should be interpreted together to get an accurate picture. Equally important measurements of these fluids are: resistivity/conductivity, specific gravity, and rH2. One measurement without the others can be misleading. Measuring the pH of urine (a reflection of what the body is letting go of) is an oversimplification. Increased urine pH could also mean that the body is having to get rid of excessive alkaline minerals that are not in a form the body can utilize. When it comes right down to it, the body prefers to receive minerals in an organic form (in food). In this way, alkalizing minerals are linked with organic acids. This is the reason lemons contribute to alkalinity– they contain an abundance of alkalizing minerals yet they are balanced with organic acids so that the body can recognize and utilize them. All raw plant foods are acidic (with the exception of a few herbs). They are made of organic acids combined with organically-complexed minerals. This is the reason raw food tends to balance the body’s pH in a way that alkaline water cannot.

3) Ionization damages water’s life force. Another reason NOT to drink alkaline ionized water has to do with the molecular structure of water. Nature creates liquid crystalline (structured) water using movement and weak electromagnetic fields. Those who sell ionizers believe that the strong electric current used during ionization produces the same kind of water. It does not. Although electric currents cause water molecules to become more organized, strong electric currents (like those used during ionization) have a damaging effect on the electromagnetic field around water molecules. Ionized water is not coherent and it is not capable of maintaining long-range molecular organization. The water loses its structure when it is removed from the electric field. Water that has been treated in this manner is aggressive. It is no longer capable of carrying the finely-tuned signals and other vibratory information that water is intended to carry within the human body.

4) Alkaline ionized water contains minerals in an inorganic form that contribute to arterial plaque and joint disorders. During ionization, water molecules are split (ionized). Positively-charged water ions (H+) are attracted to negatively-charged mineral ions (phosphate, chloride, sulfide, iodide, etc.) to form a variety of acidic compounds in the acidic stream of water. Negatively-charged water ions (OH-) are attracted to positively-charged mineral ions (calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium) to form numerous alkaline compounds in the alkaline stream of water. The most common alkaline mineral compounds that form in alkaline ionized water are calcium hydroxide (lime), sodium hydroxide (lye), potassium hydroxide (caustic potash), and magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia). And because of the strong electric forces used during ionization, these compounds are not easily broken down. The alkaline minerals are not available for use in the body. If a person’s kidneys are functioning well, these inorganic mineral compounds will be excreted in urine. If not, they may end up as arterial plaque or as mineral deposits in joints and other tissues.

5) Alkaline water is imbalanced. Water ionizers separate water into two streams. The alkaline stream is consumed by those who drink ionized water. The chemistry of life is dependent on the balance between acids and bases. One without the other, for an extended period of time, is an invitation for trouble.

6) Alkaline ionized water may cause cell death and fibrosis of the heart. While alkaline ionized water has been in use in Japan for over 50 years, its use (until recently) has been restricted to clinical settings where the water was used in controlled amounts for short periods of time. There are no long-term studies to identify potential problems with either the extended or the exclusive use of this type of water. In the absence of controlled human studies, rats (with a shorter life span) have been the subjects of investigation. Three separate studies have shown that long-term consumption of alkaline ionized water produces cell death (necrosis), fibrosis, and other complications in the heart muscle in rats. Read abstract #1 Read abstract #2 Read abstract#3 Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi, a cardiac surgeon and Director of the Water Institute in Japan, was one of the scientists who conducted early research on alkaline ionized water. His work determined that the benefits of alkaline ionized water were due to hydrogen in the water. Ultimately, he renounced the use of ionized water in favor of other methods to produce hydrogen-rich water.

7)Alkaline ionized water is aggressive and unnatural. One of the biggest arguments in favor of alkaline ionized water is that its strong electron potential neutralizes free radicals. While it is true that alkaline ionized water has a strong electrical potential (evidenced by negative ORP values), the rH2 value (hydrogen potential) is a more accurate representation of electron potential than ORP alone. It measures the reducing power of a substance without the skewing effects of pH. Understanding rH2 measurements and Biological Terrain Analysis helps in the realization that water with a strongly negative ORP value is out of balance for the human body. It may initially contribute to a reduction of the free radical load however, continued consumption and the aggressive neutralization of oxygen radicals upsets cellular redox balance which plays a pivotal role in immune function and metabolic homeostasis. Oxygen radicals serve as signaling molecules. Medical research verifies that their absence is equally as harmful as their overabundance. The ongoing consumption of alkaline ionized water tips the balance and it opens the way for other metabolic consequences.

Sorry im new to this app and im just now seeing all of these replies lol. Thank you for your detailed reply. I was wondering if the alkaline from my water would be messing with my stomach acid. Where do you get your structured water from?

Also to all the people saying alkaline water is more expensive its really not. I get my alkaline water for 1.19 a liter at whole foods which is a lot cheaper than dasani or any of those other brands.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I get my alkaline water from my well...for the cost of the electricity to run the submersible pump and the control valves on my iron filter and water softener.

We have a low TDS in our water too. It's beyond fantastic.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    anayapaya wrote: »

1) Alkaline water may hinder digestion. The first and the most obvious red flag regarding the consumption of alkaline ionized water is its potential impact on digestion. Since the digestive process begins in the stomach—an extremely acidic environment—a person must ask the question: What is the impact of alkaline water on the digestive process? Fifty percent of people over the age of 60 are hypochlorhydric. This means that they can no longer produce enough stomach acid for optimal digestion. For these individuals, the consumption of alkaline water presents a problem. You might be surprised to discover how many people who drink alkaline ionized water end up with digestive trouble—and they have no idea it was caused by the water. Many of those who promote alkaline water are aware of this issue . . . that’s why they suggest NOT drinking it before meals.

2) Alkaline water does not balance the body’s pH. One of the arguments used in favor of alkaline water, supposes that its consumption will alkalize the body and negate the buildup of acids caused by our modern diet and lifestyle. If consuming alkaline food and alkaline water negated an acidic cellular environment, then eating well-cooked meat (known to be alkaline) would overcome acidity. Eating cooked meat does the exact opposite. By the same token, eating a lemon would contribute to acidosis — but lemons are known to be one of the most alkalizing foods. Obviously, balancing acidity in the human body is not as cut and dried as some would like to think. The consumption of acids or bases (alkaline), does not necessarily balance cellular pH. And while drinking alkaline water sometimes increases urine pH, it is not an indicator that the body’s pH is in balance. When measuring the fluids of the body, (particularly saliva and urine) several factors should be interpreted together to get an accurate picture. Equally important measurements of these fluids are: resistivity/conductivity, specific gravity, and rH2. One measurement without the others can be misleading. Measuring the pH of urine (a reflection of what the body is letting go of) is an oversimplification. Increased urine pH could also mean that the body is having to get rid of excessive alkaline minerals that are not in a form the body can utilize. When it comes right down to it, the body prefers to receive minerals in an organic form (in food). In this way, alkalizing minerals are linked with organic acids. This is the reason lemons contribute to alkalinity– they contain an abundance of alkalizing minerals yet they are balanced with organic acids so that the body can recognize and utilize them. All raw plant foods are acidic (with the exception of a few herbs). They are made of organic acids combined with organically-complexed minerals. This is the reason raw food tends to balance the body’s pH in a way that alkaline water cannot.

3) Ionization damages water’s life force. Another reason NOT to drink alkaline ionized water has to do with the molecular structure of water. Nature creates liquid crystalline (structured) water using movement and weak electromagnetic fields. Those who sell ionizers believe that the strong electric current used during ionization produces the same kind of water. It does not. Although electric currents cause water molecules to become more organized, strong electric currents (like those used during ionization) have a damaging effect on the electromagnetic field around water molecules. Ionized water is not coherent and it is not capable of maintaining long-range molecular organization. The water loses its structure when it is removed from the electric field. Water that has been treated in this manner is aggressive. It is no longer capable of carrying the finely-tuned signals and other vibratory information that water is intended to carry within the human body.

4) Alkaline ionized water contains minerals in an inorganic form that contribute to arterial plaque and joint disorders. During ionization, water molecules are split (ionized). Positively-charged water ions (H+) are attracted to negatively-charged mineral ions (phosphate, chloride, sulfide, iodide, etc.) to form a variety of acidic compounds in the acidic stream of water. Negatively-charged water ions (OH-) are attracted to positively-charged mineral ions (calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium) to form numerous alkaline compounds in the alkaline stream of water. The most common alkaline mineral compounds that form in alkaline ionized water are calcium hydroxide (lime), sodium hydroxide (lye), potassium hydroxide (caustic potash), and magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia). And because of the strong electric forces used during ionization, these compounds are not easily broken down. The alkaline minerals are not available for use in the body. If a person’s kidneys are functioning well, these inorganic mineral compounds will be excreted in urine. If not, they may end up as arterial plaque or as mineral deposits in joints and other tissues.

5) Alkaline water is imbalanced. Water ionizers separate water into two streams. The alkaline stream is consumed by those who drink ionized water. The chemistry of life is dependent on the balance between acids and bases. One without the other, for an extended period of time, is an invitation for trouble.

6) Alkaline ionized water may cause cell death and fibrosis of the heart. While alkaline ionized water has been in use in Japan for over 50 years, its use (until recently) has been restricted to clinical settings where the water was used in controlled amounts for short periods of time. There are no long-term studies to identify potential problems with either the extended or the exclusive use of this type of water. In the absence of controlled human studies, rats (with a shorter life span) have been the subjects of investigation. Three separate studies have shown that long-term consumption of alkaline ionized water produces cell death (necrosis), fibrosis, and other complications in the heart muscle in rats. Read abstract #1 Read abstract #2 Read abstract#3 Dr. Hidemitsu Hayashi, a cardiac surgeon and Director of the Water Institute in Japan, was one of the scientists who conducted early research on alkaline ionized water. His work determined that the benefits of alkaline ionized water were due to hydrogen in the water. Ultimately, he renounced the use of ionized water in favor of other methods to produce hydrogen-rich water.

7)Alkaline ionized water is aggressive and unnatural. One of the biggest arguments in favor of alkaline ionized water is that its strong electron potential neutralizes free radicals. While it is true that alkaline ionized water has a strong electrical potential (evidenced by negative ORP values), the rH2 value (hydrogen potential) is a more accurate representation of electron potential than ORP alone. It measures the reducing power of a substance without the skewing effects of pH. Understanding rH2 measurements and Biological Terrain Analysis helps in the realization that water with a strongly negative ORP value is out of balance for the human body. It may initially contribute to a reduction of the free radical load however, continued consumption and the aggressive neutralization of oxygen radicals upsets cellular redox balance which plays a pivotal role in immune function and metabolic homeostasis. Oxygen radicals serve as signaling molecules. Medical research verifies that their absence is equally as harmful as their overabundance. The ongoing consumption of alkaline ionized water tips the balance and it opens the way for other metabolic consequences.

Sorry im new to this app and im just now seeing all of these replies lol. Thank you for your detailed reply. I was wondering if the alkaline from my water would be messing with my stomach acid. Where do you get your structured water from?

Also to all the people saying alkaline water is more expensive its really not. I get my alkaline water for 1.19 a liter at whole foods which is a lot cheaper than dasani or any of those other brands.

When they say it's more expensive, they mean it's more expensive than water from, say, your tap. Which is perfectly healthy to drink and is usually regulated more heavily than bottled water anyway. If you're worried about drinking it straight, get a filter for your tap, drink filtered water from your fridge, or use a Brita pitcher. No reason to buy bottled water, alkaline or otherwise.

Plus it's better for the environment.
  • TheAnayalator
    TheAnayalator Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Holy s---. I can't believe this is a "thing" and that people actually would believe this bulls---. Oh wait... this is the internet... never mind...

Well can you explain why its bull? I was only asking a question.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    anayapaya wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »

Well can you explain why its bull? I was only asking a question.

Have you not read the replies in this thread. They clearly show why it's bull.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    Worry about if your water is clean or not, not if it's alkaline or not. You will die very quickly from drinking dirty/contaminated water.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this post. I had been getting the alkaline water from TJs, too. I was having leg cramps every night and was trying to get more magnesium in my system. I also got new workout shoes at the same time, and now I'm wondering if the cramps went away because of the shoes. guess I'll try going without the water and seeing what happens. fingers crossed that I'll be able to save $5/week! thanks, again, y'all! :)