Ever eat an enormous number of cals at a restaurant without realizing? (aka the 1000 cal dessert)

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    Anything you eat all of at P.F. Changs.

Full order of dumplings and spring rolls comes in around 500 cal ....

The appetizer. ok.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Went to Applebees the day I started calorie counting. Got a quesdilla burger. Under assumed calories. It was like 1200 calories ALONE.

Yeaaaaaaah
    No.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    You guys are pals. It’s no big deal, but I appreciate it a lot. :blush:

Anyway, I’m completely fine with making mistakes, and I posted this because I figured it’s worth discussing and recalling that it’s always a good idea to be careful with eating out. It can be done, but prior research really helps.

Worthwhile point is worthwhile. I"ve been logging for almost 3 years now and I still blew through my calories last weekend when I went to Applebees because I didn't check the calories before I ordered. I should have known better, but I had a huge calore allowance and didn't think I had a prayer of hitting it...

Crazy - it baffles me how easy it is to do that! It happens and it’s not the end of the world, but it’s definitely a learning experience :smile:
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me...but when I was younger, going out to eat was basically an event...it was special.

5 times in a year
    1) Parent's anniversary
    2) Dad's birthday
    3) Mom's birthday
    4) My birthday
    5) Sister's birthday

That's about it. 5 times in a year.

Same went about for buying new clothes. Birthday, summertime, beginning of school year and during festival.

Yep, pretty much. And maybe take out pizza once every few weeks or so.
  • nicoleyg
    nicoleyg Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Applebee's food has really high calories also. Even a half of a portion is outrageous. But the food is so yummy...... damned if I do, damned if I don't. lol....
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Rachechols wrote: »
    I learned my lesson with salads. Once at Longhorn and the other at O'Charleys. I have discovered that most restaurant salads are deceptive and aren't anywhere near as healthy as you think. Even for the half portion it was almost 1000 calories. A freakin salad.

Combined with the rolls it was no wonder I wasn't losing any weight.

Very, very good point. Salads can really kill, those dressings are often super calorie dense. Add some croutons or bacon bits or whatnot, and it really adds up. Plus, salads never fill me up anyway, which makes it practically annoying.

You all make some really fantastic points!

@jkwolly‌ : Nomnom is all I have to say.
    @raisealittlehell‌ : You definitely have the right idea. That’s pretty much what I try to do, with the occasional transgression :smile: .
    @jacksonpt‌ : I literally don’t understand how that is even possible. I’d have thought a steak would be good protein for decent cals!
    @LifeInTheBikeLane‌ : That’s insanity, what went into that burger?! Yikes.
    @Sabine_Stroehm‌ : Appetizers are another thing that can really screw things up. When I was growing up, we’d always eat two courses: soup and the main dish. I think it’s fair to say this is why I was always on the chubby side (especially as I ate loads of bread throughout heh).

Also, eating out did use to be a treat, eh? I wonder when/how/if that changed.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the mistake is in assuming that a hot fudge brownie Sunday would be UNDER 1000 calories...

Well, brownie + 1 scoop vanilla ice cream + whipped cream doesn’t *have* to equal 1000+ cals. The issue was serving size, I think. I should have eaten half of half. The brownie part was bigger than a deck of cards, which I think is too big.

We live and learn I guess.

Also, cheesecake sounds yum.

so you thought it was too big, but then under assumed the calories?

Don't be a dick, man. She tried to compensate for not knowing the calories by eating half. She's admitting she made the mistake of underestimating the calories. Why badger her about it? What are you hoping to get out of your line of questioning?

I'm all for slamming people who blame their lack of goal achievement on everything but their own inaccurate logging, but that's not what's going on here.

well usually when I get a dessert and think to myself "holy crap" that is a lot of food, I automatically assume that the calorie count is about 100% higher than what I normally think....as opposed to he opposite view of "wow that is a big dessert it must only be 600 calories"....
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    the mistake is in assuming that a hot fudge brownie Sunday would be UNDER 1000 calories...

Well, brownie + 1 scoop vanilla ice cream + whipped cream doesn’t *have* to equal 1000+ cals. The issue was serving size, I think. I should have eaten half of half. The brownie part was bigger than a deck of cards, which I think is too big.

Don't be a dick, man. She tried to compensate for not knowing the calories by eating half. She's admitting she made the mistake of underestimating the calories. Why badger her about it? What are you hoping to get out of your line of questioning?

I'm all for slamming people who blame their lack of goal achievement on everything but their own inaccurate logging, but that's not what's going on here.

well usually when I get a dessert and think to myself "holy crap" that is a lot of food, I automatically assume that the calorie count is about 100% higher than what I normally think....as opposed to he opposite view of "wow that is a big dessert it must only be 600 calories"....

Oh, I get what you're saying and it's a valid point. Just because your point is valid, though, doesn't mean you need to take the A Train to Dickville to make it, especially in this case. The OP understood your point, too, before she made the thread. She even stated the moral she learned right in the beginning. Again, what's the point of continuing to attack her mistake after she's admitted she made it and stated she will learn from it going forward?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me...but when I was younger, going out to eat was basically an event...it was special.

5 times in a year
    1) Parent's anniversary
    2) Dad's birthday
    3) Mom's birthday
    4) My birthday
    5) Sister's birthday

That's about it. 5 times in a year.

Same went about for buying new clothes. Birthday, summertime, beginning of school year and during festival.

Yep, pretty much. And maybe take out pizza once every few weeks or so.
    Haha same here!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Oh, I get what you're saying and it's a valid point. Just because your point is valid, though, doesn't mean you need to take the A Train to Dickville to make it, especially in this case. The OP understood your point, too, before she made the thread. She even stated the moral she learned right in the beginning. Again, what's the point of continuing to attack her mistake after she's admitted she made it and stated she will learn from it going forward?

well, I am sorry that you took it that way. I was just making a point about portion sizes, which you seem to agree is a valid one....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    nicoleyg wrote: »
    Applebee's food has really high calories also. Even a half of a portion is outrageous. But the food is so yummy...... damned if I do, damned if I don't. lol....

They do have the "have it all" items, which can be handy in a pinch.

http://www.applebees.com/menu/under-600-calories

If I'm going to a restaurant and I'm not sure, I aim for the steak and two veg or grilled fish and two veg. (steamed veg)
  • tincanonastring
    Options

well, I am sorry that you took it that way. I was just making a point about portion sizes, which you seem to agree is a valid one....

'S'cool, man. I don't usually white knight, but this one just didn't deserve your normal blunt approach.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    When I eat out it's rarely at chain restaurants, so I have to do my best to estimate calories in a dish. I try to individually log the ingredients based on best guess and then I always add at least 200 quick calories just because I know I am probably underestimating!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    But but but...that's why they taste soooooooo good!
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I always assume whatever I eat at a restaurant is going to be at least twice the calories of what I normally eat in a meal. I plan for it, enjoy my meal and move on.
  • LokiDokiArtichoki
    LokiDokiArtichoki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm always weary of restaurant calories. I ask for no oil/butter, replace my fries with veggies (though it seems to be challenging to the people in the kitchen to understand that French fries aren't veggies, since I've still been given fries many times, esp at Applebee's/Chili's). The best thing I've learned works wonders for me is to ask my waiter to have 1/2 my meal boxed up before I get my food. That way I get it at the end of the meal or have it set aside and out of reach from my nibbling.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    You mean like a 950calorie key lime pie slice? No, never. o:)
  • minizebu
    minizebu Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    Ever eat an enormous number of cals at a restaurant without realizing?

I need more coffee this morning. I read that as "cats".
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    minizebu wrote: »
    Ever eat an enormous number of cals at a restaurant without realizing?

I need more coffee this morning. I read that as "cats".

Well, have you ever eaten an enormous number of cats at a restaurant without realizing?
  • OtekahSunshield
    OtekahSunshield Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Last time we went out to eat, we split a meal at Olive Garden (between myself, my husband and the toddler). I've learned that even the lunch portions of food is far too much and I'm almost always uncomfortably full when I've eaten the whole thing. Splitting helped mitigate some of the damage, but it was still a lot of calories.