Ever eat an enormous number of cals at a restaurant without realizing? (aka the 1000 cal dessert)

Options

Replies

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    Rachechols wrote: »
    I learned my lesson with salads. Once at Longhorn and the other at O'Charleys. I have discovered that most restaurant salads are deceptive and aren't anywhere near as healthy as you think. Even for the half portion it was almost 1000 calories. A freakin salad.

Combined with the rolls it was no wonder I wasn't losing any weight.

Very, very good point. Salads can really kill, those dressings are often super calorie dense. Add some croutons or bacon bits or whatnot, and it really adds up. Plus, salads never fill me up anyway, which makes it practically annoying.

You all make some really fantastic points!

@jkwolly‌ : Nomnom is all I have to say.
    @raisealittlehell‌ : You definitely have the right idea. That’s pretty much what I try to do, with the occasional transgression :smile: .
    @jacksonpt‌ : I literally don’t understand how that is even possible. I’d have thought a steak would be good protein for decent cals!
    @LifeInTheBikeLane‌ : That’s insanity, what went into that burger?! Yikes.
    @Sabine_Stroehm‌ : Appetizers are another thing that can really screw things up. When I was growing up, we’d always eat two courses: soup and the main dish. I think it’s fair to say this is why I was always on the chubby side (especially as I ate loads of bread throughout heh).

Also, eating out did use to be a treat, eh? I wonder when/how/if that changed.

When I first gained weight in my late 20s it was related to a job where we'd either get to order in food (from pretty high quality restaurants through a service the employer used) when staying late, as was quite common, and where eating out was a common part of the job (traveling-related, and taking out clients). Although I was getting restaurant food up to 5 times per week, I'd treat it as if it were a special occasion and get the appetizer (soup or salad, but still) and often dessert as well as the entrée. (And when actually at the restaurant (not when ordering in at work), typically a couple glasses of wine too.) And yet when I first started thinking about how to lose weight I genuinely thought I didn't eat that much. Until I thought about it a little.

I hear you completely. It all adds up really fast. It’s so easy to build habits that affect weight negatively without even realizing it.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with having an app and entree and dessert in principle, but the portion sizes should be way reduced for that to be within caloric intake goals. I remember this one time a friend’s grandparents treated us to a dinner at a fancy French restaurant. We all ordered 4 courses, and the serving size for each was absolutely tiny: some of them just a few bites. I didn’t even feel overly full by the end. (mind you, it was still probably loads of calories, especially with all the rich sauces, but still)
  • Emilia777
    Options
    @auddii That sounds SO perfect! I wish that was more commonplace. It would really gap the bridge between standard restaurants/fast food and juice bars/smoothie places (which are not my thing - don’t get me started on calories in Booster Juice!)

@DawnieB1977‌ I lived in the UK for two years and love Costa! It was definitely expensive to eat out though, especially for someone coming from Canada so that the exchange rate was less than favourable.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    @auddii That sounds SO perfect! I wish that was more commonplace. It would really gap the bridge between standard restaurants/fast food and juice bars/smoothie places (which are not my thing - don’t get me started on calories in Booster Juice!)

@DawnieB1977‌ I lived in the UK for two years and love Costa! It was definitely expensive to eat out though, especially for someone coming from Canada so that the exchange rate was less than favourable.

My kids love Costa (they're 5 and 3. My 10 month old obviously doesn't know where we are lol). They always ask to go there. Caffe Nero is good too, but it doesn't do babyccinos. Where in the UK did you live?
  • Emilia777
    Options

My kids love Costa (they're 5 and 3. My 10 month old obviously doesn't know where we are lol). They always ask to go there. Caffe Nero is good too, but it doesn't do babyccinos. Where in the UK did you live?

I was in the Middle-of-nowhere in East Sussex, aka in the countryside close to Hailsham. My school has a campus there. This is about 2 hours south of London, which is where I’d spend most of my time. I also spent a year in St. Andrews, Scotland. Suffice to say I love the UK :smile: And your kids sound adorable. I even had a Costa card at the time. I am still sad that I forgot to buy one of their awesome giant mugs. There were way more nice coffee-type chains there than there are in Canada. Whereabouts are you?
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Wow, I live in East Sussex :). Bexhill.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the mistake is in assuming that a hot fudge brownie Sunday would be UNDER 1000 calories...

Well, brownie + 1 scoop vanilla ice cream + whipped cream doesn’t *have* to equal 1000+ cals. The issue was serving size, I think. I should have eaten half of half. The brownie part was bigger than a deck of cards, which I think is too big.

We live and learn I guess.

Also, cheesecake sounds yum.

too big for you- fork it on over here.
    I'll eat it.

Fat kid is fat.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    This one got me.

fiestalimechicken_579x441.jpg

Grilled chicken breast, some rice. Sure there's a little cheese and some tortilla strips...

1310 calories.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options

I was in the Middle-of-nowhere in East Sussex, aka in the countryside close to Hailsham. My school has a campus there. This is about 2 hours south of London, which is where I’d spend most of my time. I also spent a year in St. Andrews, Scotland. Suffice to say I love the UK :smile: And your kids sound adorable. I even had a Costa card at the time. I am still sad that I forgot to buy one of their awesome giant mugs. There were way more nice coffee-type chains there than there are in Canada. Whereabouts are you?
    I lived in Brighton and Burgess Hill before moving to Canada 12 years ago!
    When we go back, we love to eat in pubs. Kids aren't allowed in pubs in Canada, so our teens think it's cool to be able to. Also, lots of curries!!
    But it is SO expensive!
  • las07s
    las07s Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    In college, my roomie and I used to go out to dinner at Chili's for our favorite salad. Quesadilla Explosion salad, I believe it is called. I have NO idea what they did to that salad, but over a year later, we looked up the calories and it was 1100+! A SALAD!

.... and out went my innate trust of green restaurant food.
  • fit_mama_sarah
    fit_mama_sarah Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I did!!! At Boston Pizza I usually order the walnut salad and it's 900+ calories! Holy crap!
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

When we go back, we love to eat in pubs. Kids aren't allowed in pubs in Canada, so our teens think it's cool to be able to. Also, lots of curries!!
    But it is SO expensive!

My grandparents used to live in Burgess Hill.

I grew up in York, went to uni in Canterbury (and lived in France for a year), did my MA in Guildford, then worked just out of London for 2 years, but met my hubby down here through a friend and moved here. I did my teacher training at Brighton uni. I love being by the sea

image.jpg
    image uploading

Yeah, it's normal for kids to eat in pubs, although obviously there are some pubs I wouldn't take my kids into!
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    las07s wrote: »
    In college, my roomie and I used to go out to dinner at Chili's for our favorite salad. Quesadilla Explosion salad, I believe it is called. I have NO idea what they did to that salad, but over a year later, we looked up the calories and it was 1100+! A SALAD!

.... and out went my innate trust of green restaurant food.
    Agreed. I also tend to think it's a waste of a treat to go out and eat a salad. I'll usually go for a steak if it's an option.
  • Tubbs216
    Options

But it is SO expensive!

I grew up in York, went to uni in Canterbury (and lived in France for a year), did my MA in Guildford, then worked just out of London for 2 years, but met my hubby down here through a friend and moved here. I did my teacher training at Brighton uni. I love being by the sea

image.jpg
    image uploading

Yeah, it's normal for kids to eat in pubs, although obviously there are some pubs I wouldn't take my kids into!
    No way! I grew up in Guildford!
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Totally awesome that there are people here living/who have lived in East Sussex. Small world! Pub grub is so wonderful. I love me some fish and chips :smiley:

There is also an emerging pattern of killer salads :open_mouth: What trickery is this?!
  • Emilia777
    Options

But it is SO expensive!

image.jpg
    image uploading

No way! I grew up in Guildford!

Whaaaat. Awesome! Also, that photo is just beautiful - thanks for uploading!!
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    This one got me.

fiestalimechicken_579x441.jpg

Grilled chicken breast, some rice. Sure there's a little cheese and some tortilla strips...

1310 calories.

That's crazy... Even at a glance would've guessed 850-900 TOPS.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    And just for you Emilia...my eldest daughter and her friend in Costa in Eastbourne :)

image.jpg
    screen cap
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    There are some at Red Robin that top out at over 2000 calories... burgers that I used to eat, along with the "endless" fries.
  • DawnieB1977
    Options
    Tubbs, I was only in Guildford for a year, for my MA. I liked it there. We used to go to Old Orleans for happy hour :)