Ever eat an enormous number of cals at a restaurant without realizing? (aka the 1000 cal dessert)

Options

Replies

• Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    B dubs will kill you. Didn't realize their small portion of the boneless wings was 1200 calories, not including fries!! I had that after my mozzeralla apps. Let's just say, I ran a lot that week.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    OP, I ordered fish tacos the other day, then checked their website for the calories. I had 1100 left to spend for the day. The fish tacos were 1290.

Fish tacos!

When the server came back, I said I just wanted the fish tacos, not the cheese and sour cream that came with it.

Then I ate a wheelbarrow full of garlic Parmesan cheese fries.

Priorities, amirite?
  • DeWoSa
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    Went out to eat at a place called Brother Sebastians where the waiters dress up in monk's robes and they play gregorian chant music while you wait to be seated, anyway after appetizers, bread, meal, wine and dessert I was soooo out of the ball park and miserable full. I think my total for just that meal was over 2000 and I had already consumed 800 before dinner. I tried to plan ahead and log ahead but I wasnt counting on the wine, bread and dessert. Eventhough I doubled my calories for the day I still started fresh the next morning and stayed on track. Every day is a new day.

BEST RESTAURANT IDEA EVER
  • coffeeshopangel
    Options
    The crazy thing is that even Subway (where I work) has some extremely high calorie foods - one of the subs is over 1000 calories alone, without sauces and cheese! But I'm vegan so whenever I go out to eat I always end up getting the garden salad without dressing (blech!) so I'm safe!
    It's just when I get home and see that damn peanut butter jar that I tend to go over :neutral_face:
  • DeWoSa
    Options
    Alidecker wrote: »

I agree on this, people go out and order a salad thinking it is low cal, and it may be compared to other items on the menu, but they still end up incredibly high.

I was listening to a McDonald's commercial the other day, and they were talking about their kids meal having health friendly apples or some crap like that, and I thought:

Who goes to McDonald's to get healthy food? Isn't the whole point of McDonald's to be a treat where you can get something you can't otherwise make at home?

Cooking. The struggle is real.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    shooters/shot glass desserts just make me stabby- who wants that. that's not a dessert- that's a snack.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    @Francl27 Those creme brûlées must be either giant or overloaded with sugar (or both). I distinctly recall having this in Paris when I was studying abroad and it came in a tiny 2” diameter 1/2” tall ramekin: it was the perfect portion size, and not overly sweet. I wish more restaurants in North America reduced serving sizes, especially for desserts. This ties in with what @DawnieB1977‌ is saying. And @CrabNebula‌ .

I've seen a newer chain of restaurants (at least, only been in Texas for a few years) called Seasons 52 that has seasonal and local foods on the menu. All menu items are under a certain calorie limit (450ish I think), and you can get multiple courses (we usually split an appetizer before the main course) and not feel quite so bad. And deserts come in a shot glass. It's the perfect amount to get the satisfying flavor but not enough to stuff yourself after your first two courses.

I was actually going to post about Season's 52 dessert shot glasses before I saw your post. Those were my restaurant shocker--they're literally about 3 bites of dessert, which seems like a very reasonable portion. Except almost all of them max out their 450 calorie max! It just seems like a lot for a couple of bites. Now when I go there I just ask for some fresh berries and a dollop of whip cream in the shot glass.

Hm, I guess I didn't realize they were that bad (the seem so small). I went for the carrot cake, which is only 270 calories according to their website. Although, now that I think about it, for 290 calories, I think I'd rather have one of these:
    trader-joes-inside-out-carrot-cake.jpg?w=590&h=369
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    DeWoSa wrote: »

I agree on this, people go out and order a salad thinking it is low cal, and it may be compared to other items on the menu, but they still end up incredibly high.

I was listening to a McDonald's commercial the other day, and they were talking about their kids meal having health friendly apples or some crap like that, and I thought:

Who goes to McDonald's to get healthy food? Isn't the whole point of McDonald's to be a treat where you can get something you can't otherwise make at home?

Meh. My kids go to McDonalds for the crappy toys in the Happy Meals. They insist they actually like the food... but really they just want to see what chotchkie they are offering this week. Most of that junk ends up in a drawer, which I periodically sweep right into the trashcan...

But actually what my kids eat at McD's are chicken nuggets and apple slices. Neither of them eat more than a couple of fries. Which is fine for me - if I'm eating with them, I order a McDouble and just eat one of their happy meal fries, which is about 100 cals.

• kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    So, I had to share this. I was at Swiss Chalet the other night (love their chicken, not gonna lie) with the bf and the kitchen was backed up because of a new employee. Long story short, we were offered a complimentary dessert to make up for the long waiting time. Silly naive souls that we are, we ended up getting the hot fudge brownie sundae, as we figured it can’t be that bad if you split it with someone.

Yeah, no. I ate slightly less than half, simply because it was so rich, and we took bets on the calories (he said 600, I said 730). We then looked it up on the inter web, and behold: 1090 calories, 130 g of sugar (lord, that’s sweet).

Moral of this story: always look up calories before you order. The rest of the meal was pre-planned and worked out fine.

Did anything like this ever happen to you?

my small DQ blizzard this past sunday. it wasn't a scheduled stop. i figured the small might have 400 calories or so.... nope. over 700!

lol

I got a freaking mini blizzard at DQ a while ago. I figured maybe 300. Nope that tiny thing packed 450 calories.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    @Francl27 Those creme brûlées must be either giant or overloaded with sugar (or both). I distinctly recall having this in Paris when I was studying abroad and it came in a tiny 2” diameter 1/2” tall ramekin: it was the perfect portion size, and not overly sweet. I wish more restaurants in North America reduced serving sizes, especially for desserts. This ties in with what @DawnieB1977‌ is saying. And @CrabNebula‌ .

I've seen a newer chain of restaurants (at least, only been in Texas for a few years) called Seasons 52 that has seasonal and local foods on the menu. All menu items are under a certain calorie limit (450ish I think), and you can get multiple courses (we usually split an appetizer before the main course) and not feel quite so bad. And deserts come in a shot glass. It's the perfect amount to get the satisfying flavor but not enough to stuff yourself after your first two courses.

I was actually going to post about Season's 52 dessert shot glasses before I saw your post. Those were my restaurant shocker--they're literally about 3 bites of dessert, which seems like a very reasonable portion. Except almost all of them max out their 450 calorie max! It just seems like a lot for a couple of bites. Now when I go there I just ask for some fresh berries and a dollop of whip cream in the shot glass.

Hm, I guess I didn't realize they were that bad (the seem so small). I went for the carrot cake, which is only 270 calories according to their website. Although, now that I think about it, for 290 calories, I think I'd rather have one of these:
    trader-joes-inside-out-carrot-cake.jpg?w=590&h=369

Pfffft....! Carrot... that's not a cake! ;)
  • nickatine
    nickatine Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bloomin onion outback steakhouse need I say more.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options

Actually, McDonalds is probably your best bet as far as chains go if you're watching your calories. A cheeseburger, small fries and a diet coke will only set you back 520 calories - not bad for a meal. They also have snack wraps, which despite the name are probably big enough of a portion for a meal, that check in at 260 calories. An Egg McMuffin is only 300 calories. The salads with grilled chicken are also around 300 calories.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    anytime we go out to eat to like a chain restaurant i KNOW I'm basically gonna a get a days worth of calories. From the alcoholic drinks to the appetizers to the desserts. Hey if I'm gonna go out to eat and enjoy life so be it. one day isn't going to completely ruin progress. As long as it isn't often I'm good.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    peter56765 wrote: »

Actually, McDonalds is probably your best bet as far as chains go if you're watching your calories. A cheeseburger, small fries and a diet coke will only set you back 520 calories - not bad for a meal. They also have snack wraps, which despite the name are probably big enough of a portion for a meal, that check in at 260 calories. An Egg McMuffin is only 300 calories. The salads with grilled chicken are also around 300 calories.

Eh, for the amount of your cheeseburger meal, I'd rather have the fried chicken breast, mashed potato w/ gravy (or corn) and a cookie at KFC. Only works if you get original recipe, though. Extra crispy adds on about 170 cals.

Other options are 3 fried chicken strips, side of corn and a biscuit at Church's. Think there's a similar meal option at Popeyes.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree.. god i love fried chicken. and out of all the fast food KFC rarely makes me upset I ate it.. like that damn crispy chicken and gravy is something I can never regret haha.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    OP, I ordered fish tacos the other day, then checked their website for the calories. I had 1100 left to spend for the day. The fish tacos were 1290.

Fish tacos!

When the server came back, I said I just wanted the fish tacos, not the cheese and sour cream that came with it.

Then I ate a wheelbarrow full of garlic Parmesan cheese fries.

Priorities, amirite?

Right on! Haha.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    my favorite story is buying one (1) cookie at Whole Foods one day, I looked at the calories, 250. Not bad considering it was somewhat larger than the average store bought cookie, but not what I would call a "big cookie". Went home, ate my cookie, looked at the package again and noticed the serving size...this one (1) cookie had a serving size of 4. So the whole cookie was 1,000 calories. Mind you this was not a big cookie, I could see maybe half the cookie being one serving, but a quarter was barely a bite. Damn, though, that was a good cookie.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I keep meaning to go there but then you see that your entree comes without sides, and you have to add them up... so it's pretty easy to end up eating 1000 calories there too... when I checked I don't even think they had plain veggies as a side!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I keep meaning to go there but then you see that your entree comes without sides, and you have to add them up... so it's pretty easy to end up eating 1000 calories there too... when I checked I don't even think they had plain veggies as a side!

Personally, I wouldn't bother. Been there once, was not all that impressed with the food. I'd rather go somewhere else I like and just be more careful about what I eat.

Lately, I've been liking Torchy's for tacos - and you can get a bowl if you don't want the tortilla, which I'll do every now and again.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah, I go in with the theory that I will eat two things or at least split an appetizer.