Ever eat an enormous number of cals at a restaurant without realizing? (aka the 1000 cal dessert)

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Shoot negro, that's amateur. I've eaten 3000 or more calorie meals at restaurants before. I do it about once a month and it is glorious.

Sorry, what???
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    And just for you Emilia...my eldest daughter and her friend in Costa in Eastbourne :)

image.jpg
    screen cap

Amazing! Looks like you were all having fun - I’m glad you can get some family quality time AND caffeine. I even caught a glimpse of their coffee mugs. Thank you for sharing this :smile:

@rhonderoo‌ Endless fries? Yeah I couldn’t handle that. I do occasionally crave fries, so I get a take-out order of the smallest size from somewhere like Five Guys and RUN.
  • Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    Tubbs, I was only in Guildford for a year, for my MA. I liked it there. We used to go to Old Orleans for happy hour :)
    It's been a long time since I lived there, but it was a pretty good place to grow up. I lived near the Uni - I guess that's where you were? Used to go to sports stuff and gigs there.
    I went away to Uni in Brighton and never really went back home again.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    This one got me.

fiestalimechicken_579x441.jpg

Grilled chicken breast, some rice. Sure there's a little cheese and some tortilla strips...

1310 calories.

That's crazy... Even at a glance would've guessed 850-900 TOPS.

Yeah seriously. HOW? I don’t get it.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Tubbs, I was only in Guildford for a year, for my MA. I liked it there. We used to go to Old Orleans for happy hour :)
    It's been a long time since I lived there, but it was a pretty good place to grow up. I lived near the Uni - I guess that's where you were? Used to go to sports stuff and gigs there.
    I went away to Uni in Brighton and never really went back home again.

Yeah, I lived on campus.

I did my PGCE in Brighton, but was living in Bexhill then, mortgage and everything lol. My placement schools were in Hastings and Bexhill.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Went out to eat at a place called Brother Sebastians where the waiters dress up in monk's robes and they play gregorian chant music while you wait to be seated, anyway after appetizers, bread, meal, wine and dessert I was soooo out of the ball park and miserable full. I think my total for just that meal was over 2000 and I had already consumed 800 before dinner. I tried to plan ahead and log ahead but I wasnt counting on the wine, bread and dessert. Eventhough I doubled my calories for the day I still started fresh the next morning and stayed on track. Every day is a new day.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    exstromn wrote: »
    Went out to eat at a place called Brother Sebastians where the waiters dress up in monk's robes and they play gregorian chant music while you wait to be seated, anyway after appetizers, bread, meal, wine and dessert I was soooo out of the ball park and miserable full. I think my total for just that meal was over 2000 and I had already consumed 800 before dinner. I tried to plan ahead and log ahead but I wasnt counting on the wine, bread and dessert. Eventhough I doubled my calories for the day I still started fresh the next morning and stayed on track. Every day is a new day.

For sure. No sense in beating yourself up. We learn from everything, after all. However, that place sounds absolutely hilariously awesome. I’ve never heard of anything like it.
  • Brolivia3D
    Brolivia3D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I worked at Pizza Hut through most of school, and made the mistake of checking the nutritional information of the food I ate almost daily because it was free and I was broke. It was bad. Like, I'd eat a whole meaty P'zone plus some breadsticks throughout the night, and whatever sugary concoction of a pop I would add flavored syrups into. To break down the bad news:

690 calories per serving (1,380 for a whole P'zone)
    260 calories from fat (520 cal)
    11 g saturated fat (22 g)
    70 mg cholesterol (140 mg)
    1490 mg sodium (2,980 mg)
    32 g protein (64 g)

Again, I'd eat something like this every time I worked, which was anywhere from 2-7 days a week. Or go in when a manager I liked was working and get food to go because again, I was broke. Just thinking about all the grease makes my stomach hurt.

• troutrouter
    Options
    If you eat out only occasionally (I eat out once every month or two), then I say the hell with calories for that night and resume counting the next day.
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    my worst was a longgg time ago when I wasn't as good planning & logging and didn't have as much knowledge as I do now. I ordered an egg white omelet at a pancake place thinking it would be okay, it looked kind of big but I thought the egg whites just puffed up more. Nope, it was over 1000 calories for an omelet! I would have been better off with the pancakes
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    I always assume whatever I eat at a restaurant is going to be at least twice the calories of what I normally eat in a meal. I plan for it, enjoy my meal and move on.

^This^

I pretty much assume that anytime I walk into a restaurant, 1000 calories will be a minimum. As many have already posted, for that reason I try to limit eating out to actual occasions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Carl's Junior. And I skipped the fries!

Boston Pizza's salads are dangerous! Some of their heart-healthy half-size pasta orders are better.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    This one got me.

Grilled chicken breast, some rice. Sure there's a little cheese and some tortilla strips...

1310 calories.

That's crazy... Even at a glance would've guessed 850-900 TOPS.

Rice = 200
    Chicken = 200
    Cheese = 100 maybe?
    There's a creamy dressing under that cheese. Let's give it 150.
    Oil/butter in rice (at least a tablespoon) = 119
    Oil/butter to grill chicken = 119
    Tortilla Strips - Probably 300 (looks like 2 servings)
    Salsa - 50

= 1,138.

The difference can easily be a half tablespoon more oil in the rice, on the chicken or something in the creamy sauce.

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue to overcome has been the fact that I was always told to clean your plate as a kid. That translated to me feeling bad about not finishing a meal in a restaurant! I've been getting over that, and I have since found ways to feel better about not finishing my meal. One of which is to eat the protein first, then veggies, then whatever else. Usually, by the time I get to the veggies, I'm not really hungry anymore and that limits what I eat. I figure the protein is most of what you're paying for, so I don't feel like I'm wasting money. It's not a perfect solution because I still have to be careful what meal I get, but doing that and asking for no sauces on things does help a lot.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    So, I had to share this. I was at Swiss Chalet the other night (love their chicken, not gonna lie) with the bf and the kitchen was backed up because of a new employee. Long story short, we were offered a complimentary dessert to make up for the long waiting time. Silly naive souls that we are, we ended up getting the hot fudge brownie sundae, as we figured it can’t be that bad if you split it with someone.

Yeah, no. I ate slightly less than half, simply because it was so rich, and we took bets on the calories (he said 600, I said 730). We then looked it up on the inter web, and behold: 1090 calories, 130 g of sugar (lord, that’s sweet).

Moral of this story: always look up calories before you order. The rest of the meal was pre-planned and worked out fine.

Did anything like this ever happen to you?

my small DQ blizzard this past sunday. it wasn't a scheduled stop. i figured the small might have 400 calories or so.... nope. over 700!

lol
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    This one got me.

1310 calories.

Oh- applebees- was going to say chili's- they are insanely high.

I kind of do the best I can but I assume I blow it when I got out. just a fact of my life.
  • rachellsayer
    rachellsayer Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden has a nutrition info menu you can get. I can eat there and be in within my goals with no problem. I really like the garlic rosemary chicken!
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    @Francl27 Those creme brûlées must be either giant or overloaded with sugar (or both). I distinctly recall having this in Paris when I was studying abroad and it came in a tiny 2” diameter 1/2” tall ramekin: it was the perfect portion size, and not overly sweet. I wish more restaurants in North America reduced serving sizes, especially for desserts. This ties in with what @DawnieB1977‌ is saying. And @CrabNebula‌ .

I've seen a newer chain of restaurants (at least, only been in Texas for a few years) called Seasons 52 that has seasonal and local foods on the menu. All menu items are under a certain calorie limit (450ish I think), and you can get multiple courses (we usually split an appetizer before the main course) and not feel quite so bad. And deserts come in a shot glass. It's the perfect amount to get the satisfying flavor but not enough to stuff yourself after your first two courses.

I was actually going to post about Season's 52 dessert shot glasses before I saw your post. Those were my restaurant shocker--they're literally about 3 bites of dessert, which seems like a very reasonable portion. Except almost all of them max out their 450 calorie max! It just seems like a lot for a couple of bites. Now when I go there I just ask for some fresh berries and a dollop of whip cream in the shot glass.