Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    mscheftg wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    nywhaley wrote: »
    This is my first week of starting this program. Its certainly been challenging preparing all the food that I have to eat through out the day. Its more volume than quantity I must say. Is there anyone else out there that is doing the 21 day fix?

I have been thinking about it. Even using myfitnesspal I find myself making bad choices. 21 day fix is the only program I've seen that focuses on a healty balanced diet. I'm thinking it's a great program for beginners to learn. Personally I would definitely commit to it long term not just 21 days. Hope you will post updates :)

So a plan that gives you color-coded Tupperware is going to fix (ha ha ha) making "bad choices"? What are these bad choices you speak of? Do you never plan on going out to eat? Going out with friends where there is a buffet of food not properly portioned in the pretty and colorful little containers?

Having a bunch of Tupperware that you have to add to a cabinet doesn't fix bad habits.

What works for one does not always work for the other. There are people who benefit from the structure of the program. I personally don't think I could do it. However, the program allows those who don't have a balanced diet eat a more balanced diet.

If you don't like it, that's fine. You can have that opinion, but you don't have to pick on the people who use it and get results that work for them.
    That's a bunch of malarky!!!!!

How is tupperware suppose help you eat healthy and lose weight, it's just over price plastic ware!!! LOL

ETA: People fall for anything, no wonder the diet industry is a billion dollar business!!!
  • Hungry_Annie
    Hungry_Annie Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Seriously? All she asked for was others experience with the program. Who gives a *kitten* if you disagree with it, it's her choice and is looking for fellow MFP'ers who are also doing it. She didn't ask why she should or should not do it. She's not asking about a 1200 calorie diet, god forbid.
    Good luck OP. I hope you have success. I've done the workouts and liked them.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I like Tupperware

I have a thing for storage

I can't believe how sad that sounds

But needful things :)

I don't understand how the 21 day fix works though, what does it fix and how?

my basic understanding is that you portion your food out into the Tupperware and only eat that, and it works out to like 1200 to 1500 calories a day?

they basically sell you overpriced Tupperware and say put 200 calories into six and eat that and you will lose weight...

I swear, I am in the wrong business...

what burns me is that you can do the same with MFP for free....

So it's just real food but in plastics boxes ...sounds like my work lunch :)

I assume there's a decent recipe book
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Seriously? All she asked for was others experience with the program. Who gives a *kitten* if you disagree with it, it's her choice and is looking for fellow MFP'ers who are also doing it. She didn't ask why she should or should not do it. She's not asking about a 1200 calorie diet, god forbid.

and she got answers as to the program, both positive and negative.

last time I checked it is still an open forum....right?
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    I lost weight the old fashion way, eating at reasonable deficit and workout equal to 121 pounds weight loss!!.....and it's sustainable!! Been maintaining now for almost 6 months. ;)

Diets never work.

You couldn't have said this any better! When will people learn that eating at a deficit is what promotes weight loss?! Not dieting.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I like Tupperware

my basic understanding is that you portion your food out into the Tupperware and only eat that, and it works out to like 1200 to 1500 calories a day?

they basically sell you overpriced Tupperware and say put 200 calories into six and eat that and you will lose weight...

essentially yes..

here is a snipet from their website:

It's not another diet. In fact, it's EXACTLY the opposite. 21 Day Fix lets you EAT! Only in just the right portions, so you don't feel miserable and deprived - but you CAN finally start losing weight.

What's the secret? Our seven exclusive containers. Each one is color-coded for a different kind of food, and pre-measured for the precise portion. You'll never have to "eyeball" your measurements again—if it fits in the container, you can eat it!

Combine this eating plan with one 30-minute workout a day. That's all. It's that simple!

so basically take some food, put it in Tupperware, and then pay beachbody...genius business model...I will admit.

OR

you could buy a ten dollar food scale and weigh/log all your food into MFP for free..
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    But what do we always say about measuring cups? They're innaccurate right? Or is it like grapes go in one colour and porridge oats in another

Maybe they're just funky food oriented measuring cups that approximate more closely to a scale huh?
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I will repeat something I posted previously, if OP wanted to discuss with individuals who had similar experiences without any negative feedback, she should have taken to a 21-Day Fix Group. Not the forums.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I like Tupperware

essentially yes..

here is a snipet from their website:

It's not another diet. In fact, it's EXACTLY the opposite. 21 Day Fix lets you EAT! Only in just the right portions, so you don't feel miserable and deprived - but you CAN finally start losing weight.

What's the secret? Our seven exclusive containers. Each one is color-coded for a different kind of food, and pre-measured for the precise portion. You'll never have to "eyeball" your measurements again—if it fits in the container, you can eat it!

Combine this eating plan with one 30-minute workout a day. That's all. It's that simple!

so basically take some food, put it in Tupperware, and then pay beachbody...genius business model...I will admit.

OR

you could buy a ten dollar food scale and weigh/log all your food into MFP for free..

With the tupperware you can keep stuffing more in it, people are to lazy to do the weighing of food.
  • fabulousmomma
    fabulousmomma Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Best advise I could give anyone is listen to the ones that have lost a significant amount of weight, because they are doing it the right way.....eating at a deficit. Plain and simple, calories in vs calories out! Doesn't matter if it's a pizza or fried chicken.....as long as it's under your calorie goal!
    As for your 21 day fix......the title says it all. Best of luck to you:)
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    If it helps you figure out portion sizes..... go for it... that is what it sounds like this is.
    After doing the containers and exercising you get an idea of the proper amount of veggies,meat,fruit you should eat. then a form of exercise.
    Another learning tool. I haven't read much about it but have heard others doing it.
    Keep it up and Good Luck !!!!

p.s. you will get a lot of comments.. good or bad you can learn from them. I have. Do not take them personal.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    But what do we always say about measuring cups? They're innaccurate right? Or is it like grapes go in one colour and porridge oats in another

Maybe they're just funky food oriented measuring cups that approximate more closely to a scale huh?

who knows....

I guess you pay them and find out?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

There are different colors for different food groups. One color/size for proteins, one for veggies, one for grains, etc. Based on your stats, you determine how many of each container you eat for the day, so it's a pretty wide range of calories depending on gender and size. It's a gimmick, but honestly I think it's a meh alternative for people who refuse to use a food scale. Some people need something fun or gimmicky or whatever. It's 21 days because that's how long it takes to go through one circuit of the workouts. You are expected to do it for as long as you want/need to.

OP, I never used the eating plan so I have no idea how well that works. Honestly it's nothing you can't do on your own with a food scale, but to each their own. I loved the workouts, but I would strongly suggest following the modifier the first time through. Some of the moves are strenuous and going all out when your unfamiliar could hurt!

Beachbody products in general are kind of pricey and make some ridiculous claims, so they don't get much love here. I still pay for the workouts anyway because I really enjoy them.

I would strongly suggest weighing and logging your food instead of the containers, because measuring by volume rather than weight can be really inaccurate. One way or the other, good luck!
  • katiejo2011
    katiejo2011 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I finished my first round of 21 day fix and lost 10lbs and 11 inches. I was consistent with the meal plan and with the exercise program. I am not sure that I ate all the food that I was allowed and it did not restrict my calorie count so low that I felt hungry all the time.

I have been on MFP for a few years and I know that some people say it doesn't matter what you eat as long as you eat at a deficit and that may be true if you are just working on your weight, but if you are working on your overall health than it does matter what type of food you are eating.

I was one of those people that just needs a structure to follow. it makes planning easier for me. I know not everyone is like this, but it works for me so now I am following the meal plan and have stepped up the work out to T25
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Is this the one with all the tupperware containers? Why don't you just weigh and measure your own food?

i'll answer this on behalf of no one but myself.

i DO weigh and measure every morsel. it has helped immensely with monitoring caloric intake and macronutrient intake, but i still feel like my diet is way off because myfitnesspal doesn't distinguish between the sugar i just ate from my strawberries and the sugar my kid ate from her ice cream. one of them, obviously, is more nutrient dense than the other.

i tried writing down the volume of each of the containers and got kind of confused. a large part of that is having disabling depression, so FOR ME, it was a total fail.

the coloured containers will give me an easy way to identify if i've had enough or too much of each category. if i determine that my caloric intake should be 1500-1600 (which is what my dietician has ordered) i simply look up on the chart what that entails. so i need 3 green containers a day - that is, 3 cups of non-starchy vegetables per day. my husband will need 6. so i can count everything up easily and figure out how much food i need to buy in a week - which hopefully will both save me money and save me from turning to crappy easy food when it's a bad day.

when i do the 21 day fix (i've just ordered it, hasn't arrived) i will STILL weigh and record every morsel, but i'll be better able to tell whether or not i ate all my fruits and veg, which is a challenge for me, and whether i've had too much starch, or too big a serving of nuts, etc etc.

hope this helps.

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »
    Is this the one with all the tupperware containers? Why don't you just weigh and measure your own food?

i DO weigh and measure every morsel. it has helped immensely with monitoring caloric intake and macronutrient intake, but i still feel like my diet is way off because myfitnesspal doesn't distinguish between the sugar i just ate from my strawberries and the sugar my kid ate from her ice cream. one of them, obviously, is more nutrient dense than the other.

i tried writing down the volume of each of the containers and got kind of confused. a large part of that is having disabling depression, so FOR ME, it was a total fail.

the coloured containers will give me an easy way to identify if i've had enough or too much of each category. if i determine that my caloric intake should be 1500-1600 (which is what my dietician has ordered) i simply look up on the chart what that entails. so i need 3 green containers a day - that is, 3 cups of non-starchy vegetables per day. my husband will need 6. so i can count everything up easily and figure out how much food i need to buy in a week - which hopefully will both save me money and save me from turning to crappy easy food when it's a bad day.

when i do the 21 day fix (i've just ordered it, hasn't arrived) i will STILL weigh and record every morsel, but i'll be better able to tell whether or not i ate all my fruits and veg, which is a challenge for me, and whether i've had too much starch, or too big a serving of nuts, etc etc.

hope this helps.

I dunno. It seems like twice the work, since MFP can do all that for you too if you log all your food.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    mykaylis wrote: »

hope this helps.

I dunno. It seems like twice the work, since MFP can do all that for you too if you log all your food.

that was my thought...

and the sugar in your fruit is the same sugar that is in your ice cream..so in all honesty it does not matter where your sugar comes from, what matters is the total dosage in your diet.
  • kikkipoo
    kikkipoo Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    In terms of teaching people about "balance" the 21 day fix is AMAZING. I have done every diet known to man. The fix is not a diet, or a fad, or anything but teaching someone with years of bad habits how to begin portioned, balanced, and eliminating processed and artificial foods out of your diet. I did it for a while, and also did 21 day fix extreme and have come back to MFP for long term sustainability, but I still follow the guiding principle behind it to keep my macros at 40% carb/30% protein/30% fat and eat clean 80% of the time. Feel free to friend me if you want to learn more.
  • Dawny8423
    Dawny8423 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 21DayFix Extreme. I'll be on day 4 tomorrow and so far I love it! I've been sore since day 2, so something must be working lol.
  • bertha_48832
    Options
    I'm doing the 21 day fix. I'm on day 3. I am so sore. I know its working cause of how I feel. It was the best exercise that had a chunky girl doing the exercises with u. Reason why I bought it.