what is a food you have cut from your diet with some success?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Cauliflower.

Seriously, I refuse to eat it.

I felt this way until I had it deep fried at a Mediterranean restaurant (well, not battered, just cooked in a lot of oil until crispy) . It actually tasted good.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Cauliflower.

Seriously, I refuse to eat it.

I felt this way until I had it deep fried at a Mediterranean restaurant (well, not battered, just cooked in a lot of oil until crispy) . It actually tasted good.

LIES!! Don't try to rustle my jimmies and coax me to the Cauliflower side!

Haha. Cauliflower is one of those foods that tastes like whatever you cook it in. Which I don't have a problem with. It's the texture. It's just.... wrong.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    There's no reason to cut out any food unless:
    • you have a medical reason
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

Otherwise eat all the foods.

I think
    • you want to
    should also make that list.

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.
    I find eating very small amounts of certain food MUCH harder than just eating none at all. Not eating certain foods may make dieting harder for you, but it makes it much easier for me.

And I do not binge on any of the foods I have eliminated. I DID binge on them when I tried to eat them in moderation. We're all different...see how that works?

I wasn't talking about myself. I was talking about the general population ;)
    You speak for the general population? Funny, I don't remember voting for you to represent me. Hmmm....

Perhaps if you spent some time reading through the forums, you would see that a majority of people who cut out certain foods, end up binging. They say it for themselves :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.
    I find eating very small amounts of certain food MUCH harder than just eating none at all. Not eating certain foods may make dieting harder for you, but it makes it much easier for me.

And I do not binge on any of the foods I have eliminated. I DID binge on them when I tried to eat them in moderation. We're all different...see how that works?

Based on what? What general population data do have to back this up?

Uh… Maybe the people here on MFP who have been brainwashed into thinking they have to give up chips, cookies, cake, muffins, ice cream, etc. to lose weight.

But see, this sounds like an assumption on your part. You seem to think everyone that eliminates a food does it because they think they have to. That is not true.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Uh… Maybe the people here on MFP who have been brainwashed into thinking they have to give up chips, cookies, cake, muffins, ice cream, etc. to lose weight.

But see, this sounds like an assumption on your part. You seem to think everyone that eliminates a food does it because they think they have to. That is not true.

I never said that. I know there are plenty of reasons people give up certain foods. But a majority of the people here on MFP, do it because they have been told they can't lose weight and eat cupcakes, for example.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.

why would any food be "evil"....it is just something that fuels your body

If food were just something that fueled our bodies, why would anyone be overweight? Food is more than just fuel, whether it should be or not.

because they eat too much of it...

If food were really "evil" and caused weight gain on its own, then you get obese by eating in a deficit..

I can't believe you are even trying to make THAT argument...talk about ridiculousness...

Sorry, I'm not following. I never suggested that evil makes us obese or that food was evil.

My point was if food was nothing but fuel, then people wouldn't overeat. But food is more than just fuel. It's pleasure. It's how we celebrate and show love.

moving the goalposts, I see.

People overeat because they choose to...

are you really saying that food is programming people to over eat?

Hmm, let me reread. Nope, I don't see where I said or suggested anything close to that.

so celebration with food leads to overeating, which leads to obesity then? That would be one hell of a celebration.

one hell of a celebration ... is that why you keep going back to "evil"? >:)

that is your claim, not mine.

Nope. I said I might find losing easier if it were evil.

so viewing it as evil does not equal claiming it is evil?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

I never said that. I know there are plenty of reasons people give up certain foods. But a majority of the people here on MFP, do it because they have been told they can't lose weight and eat cupcakes, for example.

So when you asked why anyone would give up a food they enjoy, you did not mean to imply that people don't do that?

I still would question how you know why the majority of people on MFP do what they do.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

You speak for the general population? Funny, I don't remember voting for you to represent me. Hmmm....

Perhaps if you spent some time reading through the forums, you would see that a majority of people who cut out certain foods, end up binging. They say it for themselves :)

Actually when I read through the forums I see MANY people say that they personally end up binging when they try to eat certain foods in moderation. There have been many on just this thread alone that said exactly that!!!! I dispute your claim that the majority binge when they cut out foods. Some certainly do, and the fact that you feel so strongly about this suggests that you do as well. But many of us don't. If you don't have it available, you can't binge on it. That's the reality.
  • cucciamp
    cucciamp Posts: 1
    Options
    Bagels.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.

If food were just something that fueled our bodies, why would anyone be overweight? Food is more than just fuel, whether it should be or not.

If food were really "evil" and caused weight gain on its own, then you get obese by eating in a deficit..

I can't believe you are even trying to make THAT argument...talk about ridiculousness...

Sorry, I'm not following. I never suggested that evil makes us obese or that food was evil.

My point was if food was nothing but fuel, then people wouldn't overeat. But food is more than just fuel. It's pleasure. It's how we celebrate and show love.

Hmm, let me reread. Nope, I don't see where I said or suggested anything close to that.

so celebration with food leads to overeating, which leads to obesity then? That would be one hell of a celebration.

"would be" "if it were"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

"would be" "if it were"

so when you said "I want to avoid evil" that is not what you meant?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Actually when I read through the forums I see MANY people say that they personally end up binging when they try to eat certain foods in moderation. There have been many on just this thread alone that said exactly that!!!! I dispute your claim that the majority binge when they cut out foods. Some certainly do, and the fact that you feel so strongly about this suggests that you do as well. But many of us don't. If you don't have it available, you can't binge on it. That's the reality.

I don't cut out any foods I don't need to…

The only foods I HAVE to cut out are ones that cause my Crohn's to flare up. Meaning I don't eat them, ever. Therefore, there's no way for me to binge on them.

So your "suggestion" gets flushed down the toilet because it's wrong.

• Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options

"would be" "if it were"

so when you said "I want to avoid evil" that is not what you meant?

Okay, let me see if I can spell it out more. I want to avoid evil (because I think evil is bad and scary). I think I might find losing weight easier IF some foods were evil, because, as stated above, I want to avoid evil. So, IF some foods were evil, then I would want to avoid them.
  • MoiAussi93
    edited March 2015
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

The only foods I HAVE to cut out are ones that cause my Crohn's to flare up. Meaning I don't eat them, ever. Therefore, there's no way for me to binge on them.

Then I'm not sure why you are so sure that the majority of the population can't cut out certain foods without binging on them. Several people on this thread have stated the opposite, and I see many stating the opposite every time this type of topic comes up.

I also see many, many, many threads where people say they can't help eating the entire pizza, or half a jar of peanut butter, or the entire pint of ice cream. So obviously "moderation" is something many people struggle with. I'm not sure what forum you are reading if you think otherwise.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Then I'm not sure why you are so sure that the majority of the population can't cut out certain foods without binging on them. Several people on this thread have stated the opposite, and I see many stating the opposite every time this type of topic comes up.

I also see many, many, many threads where people say they can't help eating the entire pizza, or half a jar of peanut butter, or the entire pint of ice cream. So obviously "moderation" is something many people struggle with. I'm not sure what forum you are reading if you think otherwise.

Kellogg's had a profit decrease of over 30% last year. There must be one hell of a cereal binge about to descend on the nation, if the majority can't control themselves after they stop eating something.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

I do.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Kellogg's had a profit decrease of over 30% last year. There must be one hell of a cereal binge about to descend on the nation, if the majority can't control themselves after they stop eating something.
    LOL! So it sounds like now is the time to buy Kellogg's stock...profits should be HUGE this year.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    edited March 2015
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

And once again you are completely forgetting about all the people on MFP who post threads about the time when they cut out certain foods and consequently, end up binging.

Funny how you seem to ignore those people.
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I stopped buying marshmallow fluff, I decided peanut butter sandwiches were high in calorie enough as it is, without the extra calories of essentially adding pure sugar. I do miss fluffernutters, but I can't justify such high calories for one sandwich, especially since I didn't find them a particularly filling snack. That's the only thing I've cut from my diet though, I manage to make everything else fit.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

I do.

Great for you. Do you want a cookie?