what is a food you have cut from your diet with some success?

Options

Replies

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Nothing! I have modified how often and how much of something I may consume, example soda’s I typically only drink sodas with natural ingredients and even then only 2-5 a month. I eat less pasta and breads then I previously did, I eat red meat a little less often maybe 3-5 times a week. I’ll still have a dessert or a piece of candy when the mood strikes me.
    But we have to do what we feel is best for us, so you do what you feel is best for you. And in the words of the “great emancipator “Abraham Lincoln, “Be excellent to each other, and... PARTY ON, DUDES!”
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    There's no reason to cut out any food unless:
    • you have a medical reason
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

Otherwise eat all the foods.

I think
    • you want to
    should also make that list.

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.
    I find eating very small amounts of certain food MUCH harder than just eating none at all. Not eating certain foods may make dieting harder for you, but it makes it much easier for me.

And I do not binge on any of the foods I have eliminated. I DID binge on them when I tried to eat them in moderation. We're all different...see how that works?

I wasn't talking about myself. I was talking about the general population ;)
    You speak for the general population? Funny, I don't remember voting for you to represent me. Hmmm....

Perhaps if you spent some time reading through the forums, you would see that a majority of people who cut out certain foods, end up binging. They say it for themselves :)

Actually when I read through the forums I see MANY people say that they personally end up binging when they try to eat certain foods in moderation. There have been many on just this thread alone that said exactly that!!!! I dispute your claim that the majority binge when they cut out foods. Some certainly do, and the fact that you feel so strongly about this suggests that you do as well. But many of us don't. If you don't have it available, you can't binge on it. That's the reality.

I don't cut out any foods I don't need to…

The only foods I HAVE to cut out are ones that cause my Crohn's to flare up. Meaning I don't eat them, ever. Therefore, there's no way for me to binge on them.

So your "suggestion" gets flushed down the toilet because it's wrong.
    Then I'm not sure why you are so sure that the majority of the population can't cut out certain foods without binging on them. Several people on this thread have stated the opposite, and I see many stating the opposite every time this type of topic comes up.

I also see many, many, many threads where people say they can't help eating the entire pizza, or half a jar of peanut butter, or the entire pint of ice cream. So obviously "moderation" is something many people struggle with. I'm not sure what forum you are reading if you think otherwise.

And once again you are completely forgetting about all the people on MFP who post threads about the time when they cut out certain foods and consequently, end up binging.

Funny how you seem to ignore those people.
    Unlike you I haven't forgotten about anybody. I clearly stated that "some people" certainly do tend to binge when they eliminated foods. I also said that "many" don't. You, on the other hand, seem to think the "majority" can't eliminate foods without binging on them...even though you yourself have no such experience.

Please comment on what I actually wrote, not on what you want to see.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.
    I find eating very small amounts of certain food MUCH harder than just eating none at all. Not eating certain foods may make dieting harder for you, but it makes it much easier for me.

And I do not binge on any of the foods I have eliminated. I DID binge on them when I tried to eat them in moderation. We're all different...see how that works?

You speak for the general population? Funny, I don't remember voting for you to represent me. Hmmm....

Perhaps if you spent some time reading through the forums, you would see that a majority of people who cut out certain foods, end up binging. They say it for themselves :)

Actually when I read through the forums I see MANY people say that they personally end up binging when they try to eat certain foods in moderation. There have been many on just this thread alone that said exactly that!!!! I dispute your claim that the majority binge when they cut out foods. Some certainly do, and the fact that you feel so strongly about this suggests that you do as well. But many of us don't. If you don't have it available, you can't binge on it. That's the reality.

The only foods I HAVE to cut out are ones that cause my Crohn's to flare up. Meaning I don't eat them, ever. Therefore, there's no way for me to binge on them.

Then I'm not sure why you are so sure that the majority of the population can't cut out certain foods without binging on them. Several people on this thread have stated the opposite, and I see many stating the opposite every time this type of topic comes up.

I also see many, many, many threads where people say they can't help eating the entire pizza, or half a jar of peanut butter, or the entire pint of ice cream. So obviously "moderation" is something many people struggle with. I'm not sure what forum you are reading if you think otherwise.

And once again you are completely forgetting about all the people on MFP who post threads about the time when they cut out certain foods and consequently, end up binging.

Unlike you I haven't forgotten about anybody. I clearly stated that "some people" certainly do tend to binge when they eliminated foods. I also said that "many" don't. You, on the other hand, seem to think "most people" can't eliminate foods without binging on them...even though you yourself have no such experience.

Good Lord, lady…

MOST doesn't mean ALL.

Therefore, yes, there are some people who can cut out certain foods without binging.

I don't need to experience it myself. I see what hundreds of people on MFP say when they cut out certain foods. I also have friends and family members who have gone on diets that require cutting out certain foods. They failed miserably. Those are the people I am referring to.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Unlike you I haven't forgotten about anybody. I clearly stated that "some people" certainly do tend to binge when they eliminated foods. I also said that "many" don't. You, on the other hand, seem to think "most people" can't eliminate foods without binging on them...even though you yourself have no such experience.

Good Lord, lady…

MOST doesn't mean ALL.

Therefore, yes, there are some people who can cut out certain foods without binging.

I don't need to experience it myself. I see what hundreds of people on MFP say when they cut out certain foods. I also have friends and family members who have gone on diets that require cutting out certain foods. They failed miserably. Those are the people I am referring to.

Most doesn't mean all. Just like some doesn't mean most.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Good Lord, lady…

MOST doesn't mean ALL.

Then don't claim to speak for "the general population". You really don't. Not when there are hundreds of posts on this site from people who have a lot of trouble eating certain foods in small amounts.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I had to cut frozen fish sticks out of my diet. Just because I've never had any that tasted good at all. They're all just awful.

I was just thinking about those, as they were one thing we ate for dinner when my parents went out when I was a kid and left us with a babysitter. (Our other option was a TV dinner, so I was thinking of them in connection with the microwave dinner thread.) Anyway, as I kid I considered them a treat. I think I cut them out around age 13 on the basis that they were for kids, and haven't eaten them since, but my memories associated with them are all positive, even though we had fresh fish cooked well all the time (lived in Alaska for a time, so it was available).

Kind of funny.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I had to cut frozen fish sticks out of my diet. Just because I've never had any that tasted good at all. They're all just awful.

I was just thinking about those, as they were one thing we ate for dinner when my parents went out when I was a kid and left us with a babysitter. (Our other option was a TV dinner, so I was thinking of them in connection with the microwave dinner thread.) Anyway, as I kid I considered them a treat. I think I cut them out around age 13 on the basis that they were for kids, and haven't eaten them since, but my memories associated with them are all positive, even though we had fresh fish cooked well all the time (lived in Alaska for a time, so it was available).

Kind of funny.

If you want to keep those fond memories, don't try them now.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.

why would any food be "evil"....it is just something that fuels your body

If food were just something that fueled our bodies, why would anyone be overweight? Food is more than just fuel, whether it should be or not.

because they eat too much of it...

If food were really "evil" and caused weight gain on its own, then you get obese by eating in a deficit..

I can't believe you are even trying to make THAT argument...talk about ridiculousness...

Sorry, I'm not following. I never suggested that evil makes us obese or that food was evil.

My point was if food was nothing but fuel, then people wouldn't overeat. But food is more than just fuel. It's pleasure. It's how we celebrate and show love.

moving the goalposts, I see.

People overeat because they choose to...

are you really saying that food is programming people to over eat?

Hmm, let me reread. Nope, I don't see where I said or suggested anything close to that.

so celebration with food leads to overeating, which leads to obesity then? That would be one hell of a celebration.

one hell of a celebration ... is that why you keep going back to "evil"? >:)

that is your claim, not mine.

Nope. I said I might find losing easier if it were evil.

so viewing it as evil does not equal claiming it is evil?

"would be" "if it were"

so when you said "I want to avoid evil" that is not what you meant?

Okay, let me see if I can spell it out more. I want to avoid evil (because I think evil is bad and scary). I think I might find losing weight easier IF some foods were evil, because, as stated above, I want to avoid evil. So, IF some foods were evil, then I would want to avoid them.

so you avoid foods that you feel are evil ...

glad we cleared that up .
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.

why would any food be "evil"....it is just something that fuels your body

If food were just something that fueled our bodies, why would anyone be overweight? Food is more than just fuel, whether it should be or not.

because they eat too much of it...

If food were really "evil" and caused weight gain on its own, then you get obese by eating in a deficit..

I can't believe you are even trying to make THAT argument...talk about ridiculousness...

Sorry, I'm not following. I never suggested that evil makes us obese or that food was evil.

My point was if food was nothing but fuel, then people wouldn't overeat. But food is more than just fuel. It's pleasure. It's how we celebrate and show love.

moving the goalposts, I see.

People overeat because they choose to...

are you really saying that food is programming people to over eat?

Hmm, let me reread. Nope, I don't see where I said or suggested anything close to that.

so celebration with food leads to overeating, which leads to obesity then? That would be one hell of a celebration.

one hell of a celebration ... is that why you keep going back to "evil"? >:)

that is your claim, not mine.

Nope. I said I might find losing easier if it were evil.

so viewing it as evil does not equal claiming it is evil?

"would be" "if it were"

so when you said "I want to avoid evil" that is not what you meant?

Okay, let me see if I can spell it out more. I want to avoid evil (because I think evil is bad and scary). I think I might find losing weight easier IF some foods were evil, because, as stated above, I want to avoid evil. So, IF some foods were evil, then I would want to avoid them.

so you avoid foods that you feel are evil ...

glad we cleared that up .

Absolutely!! Who would willingly consume evil? Not this girl. No way, no how.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

I don't binge (not if I cut out foods and not if I eat them in moderation). I have been known to plan to eat something in moderation and overeat, and I have been known to obsess more about a food because I decided I wouldn't eat it than if I simply placed it on the back burner (i.e., I'll eat it on special occasions when I have the calories). On the whole the latter strategy works better for me, and following it there are lots of foods that I haven't cut out but almost never eat. I'm not sure why officially cutting stuff out permanently would work better, but as you said people are different, so I'm not denying that it might, for some. (I would deny that it's healthier or better in general, of course.)

In any case, what I question is that cutting something out makes it not available. Stopping overeating at home was something that was easy for me, since at home was a place where I wasted too many calories on meals, but I never have really kept snacky stuff at home (I do more now than when I was gaining weight, in fact, since I have ice cream on hand now, and protein bars, and yogurt and dried fruit and nuts). Where I snacked before starting this was at work, at parties/get togethers, or, on occasion, after an impulse buy at the store. I still have those precise temptations, so if I simply relied on lack of access I'd be in big trouble. If I were a binger, binging would be easy enough.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You know those really bland and flavorless frosted sugar cookies from grocery story bakeries? Haven't had one since I started counting calories. Because good cookies or GTFO.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

Kind of funny.

If you want to keep those fond memories, don't try them now.

I'm sure that's true! ;-)
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You know those really bland and flavorless frosted sugar cookies from grocery story bakeries? Haven't had one since I started counting calories. Because good cookies or GTFO.

Seriously. I feel like I've become such a food snob! Give me the good stuff!
  • nabernal
    nabernal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What have I let go of? Late night snacking and eating past 6pm. Also fast food, chocolate (which is my weakness), sugars and anything fried. Bread, rice, pizza, and pasta are things I refuse to eat right now. So far its been 2 weeks of clean eating, and I'm already down 11 pounds. I am thinking I was having at least 3,000 calories a day before this.
    I do have a cheat meal (controlling my portion) once a week.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

I think the biggest realization for me when I started logging was how many calories I used to spend eating things that I don't even like.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Agreed. I treat calories like a budget now. I'd much rather spend on something I'm going to enjoy even if I have to save or work extra for better quality.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

I don't binge (not if I cut out foods and not if I eat them in moderation). I have been known to plan to eat something in moderation and overeat, and I have been known to obsess more about a food because I decided I wouldn't eat it than if I simply placed it on the back burner (i.e., I'll eat it on special occasions when I have the calories). On the whole the latter strategy works better for me, and following it there are lots of foods that I haven't cut out but almost never eat. I'm not sure why officially cutting stuff out permanently would work better, but as you said people are different, so I'm not denying that it might, for some. (I would deny that it's healthier or better in general, of course.)

In any case, what I question is that cutting something out makes it not available. Stopping overeating at home was something that was easy for me, since at home was a place where I wasted too many calories on meals, but I never have really kept snacky stuff at home (I do more now than when I was gaining weight, in fact, since I have ice cream on hand now, and protein bars, and yogurt and dried fruit and nuts). Where I snacked before starting this was at work, at parties/get togethers, or, on occasion, after an impulse buy at the store. I still have those precise temptations, so if I simply relied on lack of access I'd be in big trouble. If I were a binger, binging would be easy enough.
    With me it was overeating at home that was the problem. I never eat when busy...so work is not a problem. But in the evening, it's too easy to give in. So cutting out sweets makes them not available to me. I only ever had a problem with eating them at home, so not having them here solves my problem. It's easy, I'm not tempted and I don't miss it.

But like I said, we're all different personalities. People who are or were overweight ate too much for various reasons. So keeping that weight off is most easily accomplished in different ways for different people. The strategies you implement should accommodate your individual personality.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut out anything, but I don't eat anywhere near as much fried food, cold cereal, breads, and cheeses. There used to be a time where I couldn't imagine having too much cheese on anything, but the other day, I was picking all of this extra cheese out of my chicken fajita pita in disgust. I still like cheese, but I can't have my food drowning in it anymore. I don't eat pies and cookies and cakes every other night like I used to.

I have made A LOT of lower calorie substitutions, like egg whites for eggs, turkey burgers for hamburgers, sandwich thins for torta rolls (as burger buns), light Miracle Whip for mayo, Canadian bacon instead of regular bacon/sausage for a lot of breakfasts, dark chocolate squares instead of pieces of chocolate cake, unsweetened almond milk for skim milk, 50% fat Land O' Lakes spread instead of butter for spreading (still use regular butter for baking), etc. I take Baked Lays with me to fast food joints and eat a serving of those instead of fries with my sandwich. I honestly don't even miss the fries and the first time I did it, I wondered why I never did this before.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    i haven't cut anything. I just eat what i want and make sure it fits my calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    nabernal wrote: »
    What have I let go of? Late night snacking and eating past 6pm. Also fast food, chocolate (which is my weakness), sugars and anything fried. Bread, rice, pizza, and pasta are things I refuse to eat right now. So far its been 2 weeks of clean eating, and I'm already down 11 pounds. I am thinking I was having at least 3,000 calories a day before this.
    I do have a cheat meal (controlling my portion) once a week.

what a sad, sad, world that must be...