what is a food you have cut from your diet with some success?

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to cut out any food unless:
    • you have a medical reason
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

Otherwise eat all the foods.

I think
    • you want to
    should also make that list.

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.

I say want to, you change it to have to. Apples and oranges, my friend.

Why would a person want to cut out foods they enjoy?
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started out by cutting out all refined sugars and refined carbs. I was sad to see that there is even high fructose corn syrup in most brands of canned tomatoes!! I still have some sweets/refined carbs in moderation, but not on the scale which I used to. A big thing for me was switching from sweet tea to unsweet tea - and now I don't think I could drink it with sugar!
  • eseeton
    eseeton Posts: 80 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    wathjo1 wrote: »
    How about things you have ADDED to your diet?? I think that would be interesting.

Along with cutting out refined sugars, I have added in more natural sugars such as fruit. I now have an apple every day with breakfast. :smile:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.

There are a lot of people with a lot of different personalities. I'm sure there are a lot of reasons. Calories, expense, intollerance, trouble stopping at one serving, are a few I've heard.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I cut out soda completley. I am at about a year and a half of no soda which is crazy to me because I think back and I used to drink AT LEAST 1-2 a day! I drink mostly water but I sometimes enjoy a lemonade or some adult beverages but cutting out soda, while it was hard, helps me feel SO much better through the day! I don't rely on the caffine or sugars in it anymore.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.

why would any food be "evil"....it is just something that fuels your body
  • ndj1979
    Options
    zero pop. zero fast food. none. nada.

have i caved? yep. Once I decided a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo from McDonald's would be ok. It was disgusting and slimy and NASTY. Never again.

and I'd say I cut my sugar/candy consumption by 99.9%. (If my kids are eating a piece of something and offer me a bite, I won't tell them no.)

so .01% of your diet is sugar? So no vegetables, breads, milk, etc?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.

why would any food be "evil"....it is just something that fuels your body

If food were just something that fueled our bodies, why would anyone be overweight? Food is more than just fuel, whether it should be or not.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Because they enjoy more than one food, and are capable of choosing one over the other?
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out entirely but I've drastically reduced the amount of soda I have. I used to have at least 1 12-oz. can of Coke a day... now I might have one a week or every other week. Half & half tea is my new "treat" drink and even that is not every day. :)
  • KathyMBragg
    KathyMBragg Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    take out
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

have i caved? yep. Once I decided a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo from McDonald's would be ok. It was disgusting and slimy and NASTY. Never again.

and I'd say I cut my sugar/candy consumption by 99.9%. (If my kids are eating a piece of something and offer me a bite, I won't tell them no.)

Unless 100% of her diet was sugar before she cut it, I think you need to check your math.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Beer, Creamer.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Unless 100% of her diet was sugar before she cut it, I think you need to check your math.

eliminated/cut 99.9% of sugar from diet...that would mean that now only 01% of said diet is sugar..

following me around again ...

how cute...
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I quit coffee cold turkey back in December. It was rough for a few days. But I had to put so much sugar and creamer in it, I was probably gulping down about 300 calories/cup every day. I lost ten pounds in about three weeks just from that.
  • NikiMG1681
    NikiMG1681 Posts: 36 Member
    Options

eliminated/cut 99.9% of sugar from diet...that would mean that now only 01% of said diet is sugar..

following me around again ...

how cute...

Sorry. Eliminated/cut 99.9% CANDY/PIES/CAKE/DONUTS/ETC. from diet. Refined sugar, in the form of the aforementioned.
  • NikiMG1681
    NikiMG1681 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Beer, Creamer.

But but but....
    beer is so delicious.

I cut back from 1/night to 1/week. Sometimes 2 if I'm feeling rebellious.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything out completely. I do drink fewer diet drinks, artificial sweeteners than I did in the past. I make sure to eat veggies every day and a nice variety. I eat cookies because they're tasty and drink beer mostly in moderation because it's fun. Mindful eating is what's important for me.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,424 Member
    Options

It's not a matter of cutting stuff out for me, it's a matter whatever the food is worth it or not. Like, I used to eat the crap out of Totinos pizza (yes, the $1 frozen ones) and now I'd rather spend those calories on something that tastes good. I have a million examples of those - but that's just preference I think.

100% this (except not the totinos pizza