what is a food you have cut from your diet with some success?

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    i quit eating those "bite sized" candy bars. I need about 15 of those to be as satisfied as I would have been just eating a full size bar. So now I eat the full sized bar.

Hahaha. One of the workers at walmart yesterday kept pointing out that a TON of full sized candy bars (snickers, butterfingers, three musketeers, etc) were on sale for a quarter each. I was indecisive, but had no hands to grab stuff. Plus, I haven't looked at calorie counts of those in forever. If I'd had a hand basket things might have been different. And I may go back after the gym today...
  • Arduinna4
    Arduinna4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bread. I cant restrict myself when it comes to bread. It's either no bread at all or one bread per day. So i decided no bread it is! Also i eliminated sugar with an occasional little cheat once a week. But i started drinking my coffee black and i like it better that way now.
  • Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The only thing I really ditched was soda. Instead of candy bars, I've switched to treating myself with an occasional Quest protein bar. Instead of eating a bunch of really crummy treats, I now occasionally treat myself to really good treats. Other than that it's been all about portion sizes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.

why would any food be "evil"....it is just something that fuels your body

If food were just something that fueled our bodies, why would anyone be overweight? Food is more than just fuel, whether it should be or not.

because they eat too much of it...

If food were really "evil" and caused weight gain on its own, then you get obese by eating in a deficit..

I can't believe you are even trying to make THAT argument...talk about ridiculousness...

Sorry, I'm not following. I never suggested that evil makes us obese or that food was evil.

My point was if food was nothing but fuel, then people wouldn't overeat. But food is more than just fuel. It's pleasure. It's how we celebrate and show love.

moving the goalposts, I see.

People overeat because they choose to...

are you really saying that food is programming people to over eat?

Hmm, let me reread. Nope, I don't see where I said or suggested anything close to that.

so celebration with food leads to overeating, which leads to obesity then? That would be one hell of a celebration.

one hell of a celebration ... is that why you keep going back to "evil"? >:)
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to cut out any food unless:
    • you have a medical reason
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

Otherwise eat all the foods.

I think
    • you want to
    should also make that list.

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.
    I find eating very small amounts of certain food MUCH harder than just eating none at all. Not eating certain foods may make dieting harder for you, but it makes it much easier for me.

And I do not binge on any of the foods I have eliminated. I DID binge on them when I tried to eat them in moderation. We're all different...see how that works?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.

If food were just something that fueled our bodies, why would anyone be overweight? Food is more than just fuel, whether it should be or not.

If food were really "evil" and caused weight gain on its own, then you get obese by eating in a deficit..

I can't believe you are even trying to make THAT argument...talk about ridiculousness...

Sorry, I'm not following. I never suggested that evil makes us obese or that food was evil.

My point was if food was nothing but fuel, then people wouldn't overeat. But food is more than just fuel. It's pleasure. It's how we celebrate and show love.

Hmm, let me reread. Nope, I don't see where I said or suggested anything close to that.

so celebration with food leads to overeating, which leads to obesity then? That would be one hell of a celebration.

that is your claim, not mine.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Ummm....just added sugar free torani syrup to my coffee. Dumb. Should throw bottle away.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    soda
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I dont restrict anything as I think that makes it too much like a priosn sentenc rather than a lifestyle change. I can have anything I want, but either choose not to or moderate as thats what fits my plan and id rather have progress. I eat less fried food in amounts becayse I rarely have the calories.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

that is your claim, not mine.

Nope. I said I might find losing easier if it were evil.
  • lauries8888
    lauries8888 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I agree with MoiAussie93 and Need2Exercise. I cut take-out pizza (but still have single-serving frozen) and donuts while reducing because I over-eat these foods when I do have them and at 1200 calories, I don't have wiggle room for extras. Eliminating is easier for me than moderation. I also have cut out alcohol until I hit maintenance, because I want to eat, not drink my limited number of calories.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    I absolutely refuse to eat candy. There are grazing stations everywhere I turn in the office, and I just absolutely refuse to cave.

I wish I could give up candy for good!! It is my only real weakness!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower.

Seriously, I refuse to eat it.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.
    I find eating very small amounts of certain food MUCH harder than just eating none at all. Not eating certain foods may make dieting harder for you, but it makes it much easier for me.

And I do not binge on any of the foods I have eliminated. I DID binge on them when I tried to eat them in moderation. We're all different...see how that works?

I wasn't talking about myself. I was talking about the general population ;)
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Nothing much really. I've cut back massively on pasta but not cut it out completely. I used to use it as an easy meal and way overeat whenever I had it (which was 2-3 times a week). Now I have it less than once a month and make sure I weigh it.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Based on what? What general population data do have to back this up?
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

Based on what? What general population data do have to back this up?

Uh… Maybe the people here on MFP who have been brainwashed into thinking they have to give up chips, cookies, cake, muffins, ice cream, etc. to lose weight.

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

You speak for the general population? Funny, I don't remember voting for you to represent me. Hmmm....

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I severely cut back on my pasta. Cut it out for a while now I have it maybe once a month. It was the food I just couldn't resist and had to have so much of. I ate it for every meal for 1.5 years... that had to stop and I had to learn how to actually cook!
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I haven't cut any foods out completely but I do choose some foods over others depending on its nutrients and my daily calories. And if I want it bad enough then I plan my meals to make space for it.