what is a food you have cut from your diet with some success?

Options

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I never cut anything out totally, but when I started losing weight at the tender age of 18 I followed 3 rules:

1. If you're going out drinking tonight, you need to exercise first, and a big fat mixed-meat kebab on the way home at 3am, although absolutely blinking delicious, is not strictly necessary.
    2. No dessert/supper if today is not a day when you have exercised.
    3. Only have 1 bar of chocolate once a week (usually Fridays, because I am a creature of habit). I love chocolate, and if I let myself I would replace all snacks with Twixes, Snickers and Dairy Milks.

I didn't want to lose a lot of weight at first, just about 10 vanity pounds. Now I just try to move a lot, make good balanced food choices 85% of the time, and make sure if I have treats that I am eating them because I want them, not because they're there or I'm feeling stressed/lonely/angry.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Nothing. Never had to, I just reduced the amount I ate.

Otherwise eating would be boring, and where's the fun in boring?

^This. I'm more selective about what I do eat, figuring that since I eat less, I want it all to be stuff that I really like. There are quite a few things I can't eat for medical reasons. I see no reason to deprive myself of anything for any other reason.

• Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I had cut sodas a while back. I drink water and hot tea without sugar. I don't have baked goods very often at all. I have been staying away from potato chips, or anything you just mindlessly eat out of a box or a bag. You end up eating way more than you intended, and usually aren't even hungry, just wanting to eat. If I do eat any chips, it's from a small kid lunch size, and I look at the calorie count on the little bag and think, wow, that's not much for all that calories, and that's why I only have this little bag. I had a tiny bag of fritos a few days ago, within my calories and enjoyed it, but if it was a big bag I would still be eating them for a long time. Sometimes I will be eating something and I am very conscious about it now, am I hungry, or bored, or just mindlessly eating just to eat. When I exercise I look at how many calories I burned, worked real hard to burn and think that's like two little cookies worth of work, makes me make better choices for sure.
    I did have a turtle last night from my valentine candy my hubby bought me. It was within my calorie limit, I enjoyed it and having sugar way less, has made me not crave things hardly at all.
  • DataSeven
    DataSeven Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I've all but completely cut out candy/junk/chocolate. Only on very special occasions do I partake. Last week for a relative's birthday I had a miniscule half-cup of haagen daaz gelato that was nearly 300 calories! I had to go on the elliptical for half an hour to justify that biddy thing! Was it good? Absolutely. But I don't envision myself having it again, at least for a while. It's just not worth it, calorie-wise.

I would say less than once every two weeks would I have any actual chocolate. Maybe longer. I had more chocolate over christmas I think than the whole of the previous year.

I've also cut out most fast food. I still have the odd egg mcmuffin or other breakfast-type thing, but I try and hold that down to once a week. It used to be a daily habit that was very difficult to break. Baconaters, big macs, double downs, fries, onion rings, chinese food, and poutine are all non-existent in my new lifestyle. They're black holes of calories that I just can't fit in now, though I used to have it nearly every day.

One last thing to mention, I don't drink my calories anymore. So things like lattes, hot chocolates, and coffee with cream are out. I used to take my coffee double-double (transalated from Canadian, that's 2 cream 2 sugar). Right now I'm down to no sugar and 1or 2 milks depending on where I get my coffee. A sugary latte is something for a special occasion, over christmas or vacation, etc... not every day. If I have to spend 250 calories I'd rather do it on food.

As well, for drinks I cut out diet pepsi immediately as well. I think it was a trigger food that caused me to be hungrier for calorific foods. I used to drink it morning noon and night, and could easily go through 2L a day. That went immediately, and was hard for the first couple of weeks, but I didn't miss it after that.

The fast food ( non breakfast ) was something that I cut out cold turkey right away when I started MFP. As well as junk, chips, chocolate bars, etc... The breakfast and the coffee thing I had to do gradually as they were so ingrained habits that I had to do it slowly. You can see in my food journal over the past year how often I used to have fast food for breakfast and how I had to turn that around.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I have my coffee in the morning, and then the rest of the day I drink water. So I've cut out a lot of calories just from the milk and juice I used to drink. I usually manage to get my 8 cups of water a day into me. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fruit juice.

I've cut way down on bread, and reduced my portion sizes of pasta and rice. But I don't keep fruit juice in the house any more.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I haven't cut anything completely out, but there is much less beer and bread. I haven't had cheesecake in over a decade, but I don't think I would swear I'll never have it again.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    DerFlexo wrote: »
    Bread.
    Used to eat it regularly, now it's a rare treat. I love bread, but the amount of calories is just insane.

two slices of Arnold whole wheat = 200 calories...how is that insane????
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to cut out any food unless:
    • you have a medical reason
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

Otherwise eat all the foods.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    None but I don't eat near as much pasta as I used to since serving sizes are so microscopic. I know I could eat my typical serving and make it fit but that'd be at the expense of a lot of other food throughout the day and it just isn't worth it to me.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I eat everything and make sure that I hit my calorie/micro/macro targets for the day ...life is easier when you don't view food as bad/evil/etc

Easy is subjective. I think I would find losing weight easier if I could view some food as evil. I want to avoid evil. Viewing it as wonderfully delicious makes it hard.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to
    should also make that list.
  • guinevere96
    guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Ive completely cut Soda and adding table salt to foods, besides foods that call for it in cooking.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    DerFlexo wrote: »
    Bread.
    Used to eat it regularly, now it's a rare treat. I love bread, but the amount of calories is just insane.

two slices of Arnold whole wheat = 200 calories...how is that insane????

Sara Lee 45 calorie bread… 90 calories for two slices. BAM. Doesn't get much better than that!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    • you don't like it
    • it makes you feel sick

I think
    • you want to

But a person shouldn't have to deprive themselves of food they enjoy when dieting. Dieting is hard enough.

Most of the time, when a person cuts out certain foods, they end up binging on the food when they get their hands on it… like at a birthday party, wedding, etc.

It's better and more practical to learn to eat in moderation and use portion control.

I say want to, you change it to have to. Apples and oranges, my friend.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    How about things you have ADDED to your diet?? I think that would be interesting.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    wathjo1 wrote: »
    How about things you have ADDED to your diet?? I think that would be interesting.

Fiber Gourmet pasta. 1/2 the calories and more than double the fiber of regular or whole wheat.
  • NikiMG1681
    NikiMG1681 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    zero pop. zero fast food. none. nada.

have i caved? yep. Once I decided a grilled chicken sandwich with no mayo from McDonald's would be ok. It was disgusting and slimy and NASTY. Never again.

and I'd say I cut my sugar/candy consumption by 99.9%. (If my kids are eating a piece of something and offer me a bite, I won't tell them no.)