Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    bjess8411 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Alternatives that get at the Glute max in addition to what's been mentioned are: high step ups, walking and reverse lunges, and Bulgarian split squats

True, but Bulgarian splits were invented by the devil...

What's with the fancy name? It's not even a squat! Why not just call it a lunge with a box? ;) I prefer straightforward names for exercises and straightforward exercises.

it's not a fancy name- that's just what it's called.
    You can call them whatever the hell you like- including your great Uncle Sue if you want.

But for the rest of the world- they are Bulgarian Split squats. Don't like it- tough- that's it's name.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    *kitten* to grass is great, but be careful! You see way too many ACL injury from people going to low in a squat. Ideal is just below parallel.
  • sealensfit
    sealensfit Posts: 51 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    :)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    4800volts wrote: »
    I prefer ATG low bar Squats. Hi bar puts a lot of stress on my lower back (from rocking foward, my poor form) and the ATG uses lower weight to work the muscle well, further reducing the stress on my lower back.

hmm....
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    *kitten* to grass is great, but be careful! You see way too many ACL injury from people going to low in a squat. Ideal is just below parallel.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard of anyone injuring their ACL from squatting low. It's usually due to a rapid change in direction or hyperextension of the knee... neither of which should be occurring in a squat, or you got some major issues going on.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hip joint below the knee joint and you're good. The rest is preference and everyone seems to have an opinion.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    walterc7 wrote: »
    I noticed a few people comment about having knee pain when squatting below parallel, but at or above parallel there are no problems.

The deeper you go, the more difficult it is to maintain external rotation. Once you lose external rotation, you lose knee stability - the knees collapse and no longer track over the toes correctly, then you get pain.

So most likely.. your strength at or above parallel is adequate enough to maintain external rotation/stability. But below parallel, which is more demanding, you are weak in that position and lose it.

But it may not be a strength/stability issue.. it could be a mobility issue or even both.

Bret Contreras has a great article on the subject:

http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

That's good because I don't think most people realize how big of a role the ankle muscles (tibialis & calves basically) play the squat. I've actually seen EMG studies that show higher peak activation in the calves than in the quads during the concentric, rather interesting; I know would never have guessed that.

Is the ankle thing he's mentioned part of not keeping heel to floor (?) because I'm having trouble with keeping one heel to floor (this is new because of joints I think) it's heading up to behind the knee and I think affecting my hips now too so I stopped because no matter how hard I try to plant that heel it resists...recently I saw someone squatting and using small plates as "heels" under her heel. I'm wondering if that's an idea for me while the joint gets over itself.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    mrsbaldee wrote: »
    I noticed a few people comment about having knee pain when squatting below parallel, but at or above parallel there are no problems.

The deeper you go, the more difficult it is to maintain external rotation. Once you lose external rotation, you lose knee stability - the knees collapse and no longer track over the toes correctly, then you get pain.

So most likely.. your strength at or above parallel is adequate enough to maintain external rotation/stability. But below parallel, which is more demanding, you are weak in that position and lose it.

But it may not be a strength/stability issue.. it could be a mobility issue or even both.

http://bretcontreras.com/knee-valgus-valgus-collapse-glute-medius-strengthening-band-hip-abduction-exercises-and-ankle-dorsiflexion-drills/

That's good because I don't think most people realize how big of a role the ankle muscles (tibialis & calves basically) play the squat. I've actually seen EMG studies that show higher peak activation in the calves than in the quads during the concentric, rather interesting; I know would never have guessed that.

Is the ankle thing he's mentioned part of not keeping heel to floor (?) because I'm having trouble with keeping one heel to floor (this is new because of joints I think) it's heading up to behind the knee and I think affecting my hips now too so I stopped because no matter how hard I try to plant that heel it resists...recently I saw someone squatting and using small plates as "heels" under her heel. I'm wondering if that's an idea for me while the joint gets over itself.

It is indeed a way to get around it, especially if you've had enough twisted ankles there will never be getting over itself.

You may also try pointing knees out more, that can somewhat alleviate the issue also if minor.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    mrsbaldee wrote: »

It is indeed a way to get around it, especially if you've had enough twisted ankles there will never be getting over itself.

You may also try pointing knees out more, that can somewhat alleviate the issue also if minor.

Thanks. I'll try it then.
  • hannahkingfitness
    hannahkingfitness Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    All muscles for toned bum and legs are activated at either *kitten* to grass or 90 degrees however *kitten* to grass is a fast track to ruining your knees meaning exercise and life will be made painful and near impossible as you age.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    All muscles for toned bum and legs are activated at either *kitten* to grass or 90 degrees however *kitten* to grass is a fast track to ruining your knees meaning exercise and life will be made painful and near impossible as you age.

Did you read the Schoenfeld review paper I linked and posted extracts from upthread? Makes for interesting reading...

Also, "as you age": what age range do you have specifically in mind? 30's? 40's? 50's?
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Probably why there are so many decrepit olympic lifters out there.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options

I wish people would stop with this already.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I used to think I went ATG... basically I go as low as I can, until I can't get any lower, and then rise up. When I video myself though, I look like I only go slightly below parallel. I'm tall (6'1") and have a lot of distance to travel... so, the weight moves a good deal. LOL

qd9ly7wuzj8d.jpg

Does it matter? Not really, because I'm getting stronger, I'm liking my legs and glutes, and I do other exercises too.

I'm not trying to be a pro lifter, or a competitor. So, it works for me.
    (And yes, I know the thread is "old", but it's been a very interesting read for me)
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    I used to think I went ATG... basically I go as low as I can, until I can't get any lower, and then rise up. When I video myself though, I look like I only go slightly below parallel. I'm tall (6'1") and have a lot of distance to travel... so, the weight moves a good deal. LOL

qd9ly7wuzj8d.jpg

Does it matter? Not really, because I'm getting stronger, I'm liking my legs and glutes, and I do other exercises too.

I'm not trying to be a pro lifter, or a competitor. So, it works for me.
    (And yes, I know the thread is "old", but it's been a very interesting read for me)

Of course ATG for you us going to be physically difficult. You have very long femurs being 6'1". Your leverages don't really help matters at all.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    [quot

[/quote]
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Did you read the Schoenfeld review paper I linked and posted extracts from upthread? Makes for interesting reading...

Also, "as you age": what age range do you have specifically in mind? 30's? 40's? 50's?

Well, here's another reason to limit depth that might, for some people, go along with age, or in the case of women, pregnancy, and is not something people necessarily want to think about - issues with the pelvic floor and various other nether regions. Obviously, this is not something that happens to everyone when they have a baby or reach 50, though, and you would obviously only think about that if it came up. (My pelvic floor is in great shape fwiw but it's been an issue for a friend)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Of course ATG for you us going to be physically difficult. You have very long femurs being 6'1". Your leverages don't really help matters at all.

I'm a short people hater- they have such great squat mechanics. LOL The owner of the gym is like 5'5" he's some sort of genetic freak- and he has amazingly well proportioned limbs. It's sickening.
  • XavierNusum
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I'm a short people hater- they have such great squat mechanics. LOL The owner of the gym is like 5'5" he's some sort of genetic freak- and he has amazingly well proportioned limbs. It's sickening.

Hell I'm jealous of him. I'm 5'7" and feel awkward on all the big three. Even with good leverages if you can't use them they're worthless. Which is my issue. LoL
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options

Well, here's another reason to limit depth that might, for some people, go along with age, or in the case of women, pregnancy, and is not something people necessarily want to think about - issues with the pelvic floor and various other nether regions. Obviously, this is not something that happens to everyone when they have a baby or reach 50, though, and you would obviously only think about that if it came up. (My pelvic floor is in great shape fwiw but it's been an issue for a friend)

what issues? is this about incontinence? or the uterus falling out? I'm a little in the dark on this. How does a deeper squat impact that particular area?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »

what issues? is this about incontinence? or the uterus falling out? I'm a little in the dark on this. How does a deeper squat impact that particular area?

Yeah, any of those, or eg. nether region prolapse (that is the clinical term. jk, i can't even bring myself to say it) - when people have issues like that, without a strong pelvic floor, going deeper into the squat (esp with heavy weight) exerts that much more pressure onto that area. Apparently. But yeah obviously that is person and situation specific and not something that just happens to everyone with age or pregnancy