Replies

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Daiako wrote: »
    Merkavar wrote: »

I don't want to sound mean but decimal points are like primary school stuff.

I could understand if your European and using a american scale.

Merkevar, you know I like you a lot and I think you're hilarious and a great asset to this site.

With that in mind, hang in tight for what I'm about to say next, because I don't really want to say it, but it is sticking out like a sore thumb for me.

Do you not see the slightest bit of irony in the fact that you just admonished someone for not having an elementary school-level skill...while incorrectly using the word "you're," something my son was tested on early in the school year and expected to pass? He's currently in the third grade, by the way. (And yes, he passed.)

Psst: Also, it's "an," not "a," "American site." (Capital A.) Other things my third-grader would be marked down on and probably ashamed of.

This little guy daydreams about what's beyond the cosmos, asks me what "nothing" looks like and if it's all dark, isn't dark black, and isn't black something?, reads junior high school level books and this past week informed me that his favorite pasta was "the cylindrical kind...I can't remember what that's called", sucks...and I mean SUCKS at math.

My husband sticks out like sore thumb around here. He is truly, almost frighteningly good at math...at all aspects, all categories of math. We jokingly call him Rain Man and chant "82, 82, 82" whenever he tells us that today we're 62% closer to going away on vacation than we were last Wednesday (or whatever strange math he quick-jobs up in his head at any given moment). When we first moved to SoCal, he gave me his resume to edit. School: USC...not too shabby. Best of educations. One of many corrections I made was where he stated he was on the Honor Role. God that would have been embarrassing. Overall, his IQ was, as of last (officially-administered...not via some silly internet site) count, 149. Not shabby either, IMO. I doubt his inability to spell quite a few words (don't tell him I said that) makes him thick as a tree any more than my lack of math skills makes me thick as a tree. I mean come on.

Honestly, not to hop on my very high horse but can the holier-than-thou-meter go up any higher on this thread? ;)

We are ALL good at some things..and truly suckful at others. It's a fact of life.

If we're going to show our superiority, we might try to do so by not splashing our credibility right into the toilet with an elementary school-level faux pas or two, or three. (Or as an alternative, hey, how about this? I know it's a little crazy, but...how about we get over trying to make ourselves feel superior and understand that the next person probably ISN'T useless; indeed, isn't any more useless than we ourselves may be, at least if someone's keeping score?) Sure, it's an age-old and much-beloved lather-rinse-repeat to put down the next person in order to assure ourselves that we're not mainstream and dumb as stumps as opposed to all those other (nameless) people, but if you're going for accuracy, this attitude might not fly as much. Your choice, of course; each of us is a free agent.

As for all the tired "What is the world coming to" commentary, that's been bemoaned since Socrates' time and probably earlier. I notice we're all still here. A miracle, eh?

Let's get over it...no, poor math skills don't mean the doom of humanity and failure of the public school system any more, or less, than poor grammar skills do...or poor skills in any one arena. None of us likes to admit it...but we're all pretty average. And any of us could be embarrassed by something.

I suck at math. Truly, wholly suck at it. If you consider me dense as a box of rocks due to that, and if that supposition makes you feel better, I'll give you that, because in that case you probably need it. ;) The OP sucks at math too. That's about all we know about him. Have a good day, OP.

This is a lot of words to say "I don't understand basic math"

It would be, if that were all I was saying.

However, I'll give you a pass for not being able to hang in there with big sentences and so on. ;) As I said...we all have our strengths and weaknesses. So it's all good. You may have a poor attention span and confusion when viewing longer sentences but there may be something that you're absolutely brilliant at. Probably is, I'd even venture to say. Again, strengths and weaknesses.

EXACT. Perfect
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    This whole thread about grammar and math is like giphy.gif
  • benjaminhk
    benjaminhk Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    innumeracy_mousepad-p144991771872644827z8xsj_400.jpg

x7wzsd8qnqri.gif
    This GIF is my new favorite thing.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The only grammatical errors that drive me nuts are:
    Loose instead of Lose and weighted instead of weighed and weigh. Me and most all mfpers I presume :wink: or is it 'assume' ??
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Loose instead of Lose and weighted instead of weighed and weigh. Me and most all mfpers I presume :wink: or is it 'assume' ??
    What about waist and waste? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
  • Christine_72
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »

oh boy, I haven't seen that one yet :noway:
    Give me strength....

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

Give me strength....
    arm-around-waste.jpg

And more than once I've seen someone post about having a "bowel of ice cream" or other food...true story!

You really wanna have some fun, Google "colon vs cologne". Good times. :smile:
  • Christine_72
    Options

Give me strength....
    arm-around-waste.jpg

And more than once I've seen someone post about having a "bowel of ice cream" or other food...true story!

You really wanna have some fun, Google "colon vs cologne". Good times. :smile:

:laugh: :laugh: Thank you for giving me a laugh!! xx
    Aahhhh Good times... Love it!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    Cortelli wrote: »

(deliberately left off the period ending my sentence to avoid confusion, for your grammarians ;) )

Why does "grammarians" always sound like some futuristic underground race that has grown gills? Attack of the Grammarians! And then after they've lost the battle: Revenge of the Grammarians!

Shhh! They don't like it when you expose their true selves. God help us all, now!

I know. For God's sake...hide your children. Those dictionaries hurt when fired at close range.

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Well, this thread had degenerated in a very delightful way. This must be the grownups' corner :smile:

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    Has anyone looked at their profile?

125.6 & wants to lose 17 more pounds & they're a 22 year old male?

Are you seeing double? There is only one of him.

If you are referring to Kelly using they're in that sentence... She is grammatically correct. Well to a degree in third person. I knew what she meant. :expressionless:

It is never correct to use the third person plural to talk about one single individual.

It is also strange and confusing.

<---English teacher

It's only strange and confusing if you go looking for small grammatical errors? I knew what she meant. Then again I don't go nit picking everything that everyone writes ;)
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    So writing like this isn't the norm everywhere?

100,000 or 20,000,000

It is in the English-speaking world, but not everywhere.

I hope that most people realize that there are small spelling differences between different varieties of English. I can easily tell that you are Australian by the way that you write.

Wouldn't that be "among," not "between"? Doesn't "between" indicate only two choices, while "among" means more than two?

I suppose I could be wrong but that's the way I always learned it. :)

Interesting discussion.

And yes, I would say pretty much anyone you ask will tell you that there are variations in spelling among various English speakers depending upon the country (generally).

I love you. Ha ha
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Wow...just wow
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Why isn't American English called American?

Because it's English

Hence you should be spelling it correctly, and using the appropriate grammatical syntax.

Like what the British done do.

Am I right? Am I right?

bwahahahahahaaa
  • G8rRay
    G8rRay Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Why isn't American English called American?

Because it's English

I call it American, just to differentiate that it's not British English. [No disrespect toward British English; they're just different.]