Bread

Options

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    Carbs turn into sugar..
    So by that logic you are eating a 0g carbohydrate diet? No veggies or fruit, no peanut butter (has carbs!), no grains, no flours, no eggs (incidental carbs!).......
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Carbs turn into sugar..
    So by that logic you are eating a 0g carbohydrate diet? No veggies or fruit, no peanut butter (has carbs!), no grains, no flours, no eggs (incidental carbs!).......

So that leaves steak, bacon, chicken
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Just eat stone ground whole wheat bread and stay away from the white, bleached, enriched and refined variety.
  • ana3067
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Carbs turn into sugar..

So that leaves steak, bacon, chicken

And fish, and oil, and butter/marge, and uh... uh.... turkey! Oh man, does Metamucil have carbs?
  • j3haughe
    j3haughe Posts: 9
    Options
    I agree with your trainer. Cutting back on bread and other carbohydrates can help a lot with controlling blood sugar and with weight loss. The others on this thread are correct in saying that it needs to be done along with other steps, but bread and highly refined carbohydrates is a great place to cut back. Wheat may be a natural product, but white flour is a highly processed form of bread in which many of its best and most nutritious elements have been lost. Check out Michael Pollan's wonderful book, Cooked, and read the first third chapter on the history of how bread has been made.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooked-Natural-Transformation-Michael-Pollan/dp/0143125338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426902132&sr=8-1&keywords=pollan+cooked

Bread in itself isn't bad, but the way it is made and consumed in our society has helped contribute a lot to our obesity problems today.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Rule #1: Never, ever take nutrition advice from a trainer.

It's not their area of expertise. If you want nutrition advice, see a registered dietitian.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    j3haughe wrote: »
    I agree with your trainer. Cutting back on bread and other carbohydrates can help a lot with controlling blood sugar and with weight loss. The others on this thread are correct in saying that it needs to be done along with other steps, but bread and highly refined carbohydrates is a great place to cut back. Wheat may be a natural product, but white flour is a highly processed form of bread in which many of its best and most nutritious elements have been lost. Check out Michael Pollan's wonderful book, Cooked, and read the first third chapter on the history of how bread has been made.

http://www.amazon.com/Cooked-Natural-Transformation-Michael-Pollan/dp/0143125338/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1426902132&sr=8-1&keywords=pollan+cooked

Bread in itself isn't bad, but the way it is made and consumed in our society has helped contribute a lot to our obesity problems today.

Not everyone has issues controlling blood sugar… Usually only those with diabetes, insulin resistance, and hypoglycemia do.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    From what I've read you should really stay away from gluten free foods unless you have to... Because they add or subtract other nutrients. Normal bread is healthier. Jeez I'm not being a great help, it's just something I vaguely remember reading about.
    I very rarely eat bread, but when I do its rye sourdough.
  • ana3067
    Options
    j3haughe wrote: »

No... excess caloric intake from excessively large portions plus excessive(ly large portions of) high calorie, low volume food PLUS lack of exercise = fat Earth. Not bread.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs can be helpful to reach a deficit, but it's not necessary to lose weight.

Do your own research (peer reviewed scientific studies, not blog or scare sites) with an open mind and decide what you want to do, and make sure it's something you can sustain long term. Here's a good place to start: http://www.nih.gov/

Don't blindly listen to your trainer. Or us :)
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    But what about whole wheat bread? That's not a quick jolt of super refined carbs any more. Your body takes longer to break it down, meaning longer satiety and leveler blood sugar. I switched to whole wheat personally and am having good results. I mean.... you can give up bread if you like but it seems kind of drastic!
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Everything we eat turns into sugar. Our bodies turn pretty much everything into sugar in order to use it as energy. Was your trainer thinking more along the lines of fast digestable and slow digestable?
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I've cut out bread in my diet and within 2 days noticed my stomach had shrunk a whole inch. (Yes I measured it). I think mainly due to bloating. If I do have bread now, like occasionally at BBQ's I immediately notice discomfort and bloating.

I say give it a try for at least a week. At first it seems impossible, but if it starts having a positive effect on you , you won't look back.

If it does nothing, you can go back to eating bread.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Nope she said to limit and be careful how much fruit im eating too and try substitute with vegetables instead. YeS she said try cut out all the un needed calories.. I didn't ask for anyone's arrogance.. She gets paid to make people healthy in a gym if she was all wrong she wouldn't be working there.
    I get paid to paid to work in a gym and don't believe it's necessary to do the things she said. Does my opinion negate hers since we are both paid trainers?
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Do fruits and vegetables turn into sugar?

Quoting for those on mobile.

Also my ex was a trainer at a gym. Without a certification in personal training. So just another reason not to take nutrition advise from a trainer
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Nope she said to limit and be careful how much fruit im eating too and try substitute with vegetables instead. YeS she said try cut out all the un needed calories.. I didn't ask for anyone's arrogance.. She gets paid to make people healthy in a gym if she was all wrong she wouldn't be working there.
    I get paid to paid to work in a gym and don't believe it's necessary to do the things she said. Does my opinion negate hers since we are both paid trainers?
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Also my ex was a trainer at a gym. Without a certification in personal training. So just another reason not to take nutrition advise from a trainer

I flip over to desktop view on my phone to see posts from people in jail

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Oh, great tip. Thank you.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Yeah so do I since MFP wont fix the bug.
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Yeah so do I since MFP wont fix the bug.

It's incredibly annoying. And I still don't see the point in advertising someones "naughtiness" by putting bars over their avatar???

• ana3067
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

Anyone know why they are only hidden on the app? WHY would they do that :/