Bread

Options

Replies

• K3rB3ar89
    K3rB3ar89 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 lbs with eating bread but in very, very moderate amounts. I've been trying to lose the weight for three years and in the times I cut out bread, I only ended up craving it and binging on it later. Give yourself a certain amount of bread you're allowed to eat each week/day and stick to it. Instead of white bread, buy wheat. Bread isn't horrible and if it is eaten in moderation it's fine.

That's kinda what I thought. Yeah it's kinda a kick in the teeth that I'm craving it but I wanna try cut alit of it out. I only ever ate it in the morning tho. And it's only whole grain breads I hate white bread lol
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    K3rB3ar89 wrote: »
    She never said all sugar is bad just refined. Natural sugar is ok tho

Did she also say that if you eat natural sugar youi'll not gain weight but if you eat "fake" sugar you will gain weight?

Did she even use the word "calories" in this discussion?
    Fire your (so called) "trainer".

QFT.
  • ana3067
    Options
    She said bread is a refined sugar which isn't good for your body. She recommended cutting it out because it's useless calories that are hard on your body.. I understand the moderation i was just curious if anyone knew if gluten free was still counted as the same.. I can eat what I want but I'm trying something new this time is all. Bread also causes bloating

Bread does not cause bloating unless one is allergic or has issues with gluten or wheat. How are bread calories "hard on your body"?

JnBjNiT.gif
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Nope she said to limit and be careful how much fruit im eating too and try substitute with vegetables instead. YeS she said try cut out all the un needed calories.. I didn't ask for anyone's arrogance.. She gets paid to make people healthy in a gym if she was all wrong she wouldn't be working there.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Is she having you count calories? If she's not, then I think I understand where she's coming from. If you reduce or remove a lot of the high calorie foods that aren't satiating, then you'll be left with more high volume low calorie foods. So by eating only those, you'll feel satiated and be in a deficit. Thus you'll lose weight.

The other way to do it is to count your calories, and eat the things you like.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Nope she said to limit and be careful how much fruit im eating too and try substitute with vegetables instead. YeS she said try cut out all the un needed calories.. I didn't ask for anyone's arrogance.. She gets paid to make people healthy in a gym if she was all wrong she wouldn't be working there.

Assuming that everyone who holds a job is good at their job can set you up for serious problems. I'm not saying that you should go through life suspicious of everyone, but there are tons of people in this world doing jobs they aren't particularly good at.

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Unless your trainer also has a degree nutrition and is an RD on the side, she shouldnt be giving you any nutritional advice.

• K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Is she having you count calories? If she's not, then I think I understand where she's coming from. If you reduce or remove a lot of the high calorie foods that aren't satiating, then you'll be left with more high volume low calorie foods. So by eating only those, you'll feel satiated and be in a deficit. Thus you'll lose weight.

I'm in a way doing both. I'm using this to log everything so I know. But I just wanna see if I feel better over all to limit or cut certain things out.. It can't hurt to try something new:)
  • ana3067
    Options
    Like you I have limited by bread and all other grains too. Gluten-free products aren't very healthy either because the staple is rice and having rice increases your arsenic exposure. So it's probably best to try to limited that too. Unless you just gotta have some bread, then that's the way to go.

Those poor Asians dying in hoards from arsenic exposure, amirite?
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If s/he recommended cutting out bread, I'd assume s/he was speaking of the carbs (?) - unless s/he did a biopsy on you and has declared you to have Celiac disease. :)

If that's the case ("cut out refined carbs" or what-have-you), then GF bread may actually have more carbs than wheat bread and may be be higher in calories. It's just the nature of the flours used and their ratios, so it varies from GF bread to GF bread. Generally, rice flour, tapioca flour and potato starch are used.

I won't comment on whether you "should" do this as I have no idea what your goals are, what your trainer's goals are and I feel that barring a medical issue, it's a preference.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

I'm in a way doing both. I'm using this to log everything so I know. But I just wanna see if I feel better over all to limit or cut certain things out.. It can't hurt to try something new:)

Yup. Sounds good to me. If it's working for you and sustainable then give it a try.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Bread is a refined sugar which isn't natural... Your body actually goes threw withdrew when you cut out sugar and bread

Bread is not a refined sugar. Bread is made from wheat and is as natural as anything you can eat.

As for eliminating gluten, you would have to eliminate most grain from your diet. Even stuff like oats has gluten in it. Personally, I would get tired of eating rice all the time.
    Oats are gluten-free. There is potential for cross-contamination, which is why Celiacs are advised to look for oats processed in a GF certified facility.

• JenMaselli
    JenMaselli Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Fire your (so called) "trainer".

Yep.
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..
  • ana3067
    edited March 2015
    Options

The only unneeded calories are those that do not enable you to achieve a calorie deficit. Do you even know what your (estimated) maintenance calorie needs are, and do you even know waht your weekly deficit goal is?

If you maintain on 3000 calories, cutting out gluten and only eating 3 pieces of fruit a day while still consuming 3000 calories won't magically make you lose weight. You'd lose weight eating 2000 calories of lollipops every day. Sugar won't stop you from losing weight, and your trainer is terribly misinformed. Unless she has an amazing physique and is teaching you to perform primary compound lifts with some potential added accessory isolation lifts for any areas that need extra attention, she should be fired. And even if she fits this criteria, she should not be turned to for nutritional guidance because she's demonstrated that she knows nothing about the true mechanics of weight loss.

She gets paid to teach people how to work out. She is not paid to make people healthier, simply to help them work out. IF working out makes them healthier then that is based on the fact that they are working out, not on her asinine dietary advice.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Carbs turn into sugar..

So? What impact do you think this will have on your weight loss if you are eating at a calorie deficit?
  • K3rB3ar89
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone for your input have a good night!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25 lbs with eating bread but in very, very moderate amounts. I've been trying to lose the weight for three years and in the times I cut out bread, I only ended up craving it and binging on it later. Give yourself a certain amount of bread you're allowed to eat each week/day and stick to it. Instead of white bread, buy wheat. Bread isn't horrible and if it is eaten in moderation it's fine.

That's kinda what I thought. Yeah it's kinda a kick in the teeth that I'm craving it but I wanna try cut alit of it out. I only ever ate it in the morning tho. And it's only whole grain breads I hate white bread lol
    I think it's fine to have whole grain bread! I have 2 eggs on a slice of whole wheat toast for breakfast and it gets me through to lunch, even with a good hour + workout.
    As long as you're in a deficit you will lose.
  • Browncoat_McNac
    Browncoat_McNac Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks everyone for your input have a good night!
    *drops mic, exit stage left*
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Refined white bread is usually what people like that are talking about just because it doesn't have any fiber or anything and gets broken down into sugar more quickly than whole grain breads. Same with white rice vs brown rice. I agree that where your trainer is most likely coming from is cut out high calorie, low volume foods in order to eat more low calorie, high volume foods so you aren't hungry as much but still have a calorie deficit.

As for arsenic in rice, it really depends on where that rice is grown...