Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »

I judge people who get to the good C2 rower before I do and leave me with the crappy one where you have to stop rowing every two minutes to tighten the foot straps. I judge those people hard. I'm pretty sure they're judging me right back when I get to the good machine first.

I'd hate that its a major distraction and prevents you rowing properly. I was going to say get them to replace the straps but somehow it doesnt seem like that type of gym.
    5 new C2s at mine with PM5's at the end of last year hardly ever a wait for any and this morning i was the only one on for ages. Most of them only row for 5 minutes anyway.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    I know that this has been beaten to death, but...I have a balance disorder and held onto rails for safety.

Other pet peeves:

People who sound like they are having a painful bowel movement when lifting.
    People who don't put weights back.
    Too much cologne.
    The weird club-type music they play that is so loud I cannot hear through my headphones.
    People who get on the stairmaster that looks like an escalator and sweat a pool on it, and then don't clean it up. I wipe down cardio equipment before and after, but a pool of sweat may as well be a pool of urine as far as I'm concerned.

^ Almost none of this happens at women-only gyms.

I don't go to the gym anymore, but would like to eventually. If I could find a nice small one, that might be a better option.

Have you tried your local YMCA? Mine has a lot of small exercise rooms, as well as a large one, plus plenty of free classes.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    50452 wrote: »
    I know that this has been beaten to death, but...I have a balance disorder and held onto rails for safety.

Other pet peeves:

People who sound like they are having a painful bowel movement when lifting.
    People who don't put weights back.
    Too much cologne.
    The weird club-type music they play that is so loud I cannot hear through my headphones.
    People who get on the stairmaster that looks like an escalator and sweat a pool on it, and then don't clean it up. I wipe down cardio equipment before and after, but a pool of sweat may as well be a pool of urine as far as I'm concerned.

^ Almost none of this happens at women-only gyms.

I don't go to the gym anymore, but would like to eventually. If I could find a nice small one, that might be a better option.

Oh, you mentioning the sounds reminded me of one that I found particularly ... odd. It's not a pet peeve, it's just embarrassing to be around.

There's this one guy at my gym who makes noise when he runs. Not breathing noise. Groaning noise. Like... sex-type groaning noise.

• atypicalsmith
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Health problems? Doing that is actually bad for your health as it causes you to lean forward unnaturally. What are you holding onto while you are walking somewhere other than on a treadmill?

I'm not using a treadmill now just because for whatever reason, it hurts me more. I sold the really nice one I owned a few months ago. I held on at times, but didn't lean forward. That will be different for each person that does have to hold on.

As far as my regular walking/hiking outside, I use a large stick and am looking to get some hiking poles. I figure it looks better than the cane and walker my doctors want me to use. I was first prescribed an old lady walker in my 30s and refused and I still don't want to use one in my 40s.

I have nerve damage at L4, L5 that makes one or both legs sometimes just suddenly no longer work. There is no warning. It sucks to fall. Sucks bad. So, I hold on.

eta: I use the stick for long walks and not walking around doing normal things - yes I still fall occasionally.

So therefore, you don't use a treadmill. I wasn't talking about people who have health issues who can't use a treadmill. I was talking about people who can walk perfectly fine by themselves who still, on a treadmill, hold onto it instead of walking as they normally do.

You don't know if the motion of it causes them balance issues either. It's really not your business.

You are absolutely right. It's not my business. It annoys me, but I don't go up to people who do so, shake my finger in their face, and tell them that if they have to hold onto the treadmill, that they need to get off of it. Sheesh!

I don't know why you allow other people to have the power to annoy you that way, especially since you have no way of knowing WHY they are holding on.

Sorry I'm not perfect like you. I'm quite sure that nobody ever annoys you :smile:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Morgaen73 wrote: »
    people that *kitten* around. This guy come in, spends a couple of minutes on the treadmill, chats to his buddy for 5 minutes then twiddles of to the weights section. There he goes from machine to machine, doing 1 set of a few reps. Why frikkin bother. Stay at home and read the paper.

So he's Warming up before circuit training? Who ever heard of such madness???
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Health problems? Doing that is actually bad for your health as it causes you to lean forward unnaturally. What are you holding onto while you are walking somewhere other than on a treadmill?

I'm not using a treadmill now just because for whatever reason, it hurts me more. I sold the really nice one I owned a few months ago. I held on at times, but didn't lean forward. That will be different for each person that does have to hold on.

As far as my regular walking/hiking outside, I use a large stick and am looking to get some hiking poles. I figure it looks better than the cane and walker my doctors want me to use. I was first prescribed an old lady walker in my 30s and refused and I still don't want to use one in my 40s.

I have nerve damage at L4, L5 that makes one or both legs sometimes just suddenly no longer work. There is no warning. It sucks to fall. Sucks bad. So, I hold on.

eta: I use the stick for long walks and not walking around doing normal things - yes I still fall occasionally.

So therefore, you don't use a treadmill. I wasn't talking about people who have health issues who can't use a treadmill. I was talking about people who can walk perfectly fine by themselves who still, on a treadmill, hold onto it instead of walking as they normally do.

You don't know if the motion of it causes them balance issues either. It's really not your business.

You are absolutely right. It's not my business. It annoys me, but I don't go up to people who do so, shake my finger in their face, and tell them that if they have to hold onto the treadmill, that they need to get off of it. Sheesh!

I don't know why you allow other people to have the power to annoy you that way, especially since you have no way of knowing WHY they are holding on.

Sorry I'm not perfect like you. I'm quite sure that nobody ever annoys you :smile:
    \

Oh, honey, I'm far from perfect, but I started out at the gym holding on (I don't any more), because I started out exercising with a cane, and this is a sore subject with me. People join a gym during all different points on their paths to fitness and not a single one of us can tell where they are just from looking at them.

Even if you had some magical power to tell what was going on with someone physically, so what? So the person holding on is getting less calorie burn than if they weren't. This is annoying to you because... has no effect on you; their workout, their deal. What they put in at the gym only affects them.

• luwannalattendavis
    luwannalattendavis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have to say I am one of those people that hold on to the treadmill. I have issues walking a lot of the time so I need that stability. The only thing that bothers me is when they get off and don't wipe it down.
  • DavPul
    Options

It's really nuts how many people here that are bothered by other people doing something that's perfectly fine. What exactly is the issue with touching the rails while walking? Nothing, that's what, nothing. But so many people in here like ZOMG THEY HELD THE RAILS WHAT A TOOLBAG
  • DavPul
    Options

Y do they need to get off of it tho?
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

It's really nuts how many people here that are bothered by other people doing something that's perfectly fine. What exactly is the issue with touching the rails while walking? Nothing, that's what, nothing. But so many people in here like ZOMG THEY HELD THE RAILS WHAT A TOOLBAG

Seriously, all it does is decrease the calorie burn, and really, the only effect that has is on the person using it. What's the deal?

Almost every single person doing HIIT at my gym holds the rails when they're doing the rest intervals.

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I'm currently not a gym member. I have a treadmill that I received free, and I'm making the world my gym, as I currently don't have the funds to join one. I belonged
    To a great gym a while back though. Naturally, I'd grumble if someone didn't wipe down equipment, or they sat and talked for 15 minutes on the leg press. I think the thing that made me cringe the most (YES i was judging, I'm sorry!!) was the eaters. As in, they were like "I am on the treadmill, getting my jog on, watching this tv that's on the machine... And I am holding a burger in my hand, and there's a box of fries in my cup holder". I even saw a woman on the stationary with a takeout salad once. I always thought we were only supposed to have water in the workout area, shrug. But seriously, you CAN wait 30-45 minutes
    Or whatever before you eat. Finish your workout!!
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    I'm currently not a gym member. I have a treadmill that I received free, and I'm making the world my gym, as I currently don't have the funds to join one. I belonged
    To a great gym a while back though. Naturally, I'd grumble if someone didn't wipe down equipment, or they sat and talked for 15 minutes on the leg press. I think the thing that made me cringe the most (YES i was judging, I'm sorry!!) was the eaters. As in, they were like "I am on the treadmill, getting my jog on, watching this tv that's on the machine... And I am holding a burger in my hand, and there's a box of fries in my cup holder". I even saw a woman on the stationary with a takeout salad once. I always thought we were only supposed to have water in the workout area, shrug. But seriously, you CAN wait 30-45 minutes

Okay, I can't imagine food crumbs all over the equipment. Gross.

• hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options

Okay, I can't imagine food crumbs all over the equipment. Gross.
    Exactly! I mean, if you wanna munch down a protein bar between sets in something, I don't have an issue. I've done that (but in the locker room, not on the floor lol) But I don't want to potentionally slip and hurt myself because your mc double remains are on the elliptical!
  • atypicalsmith
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The OP asked about pet peeves. This is one of mine. I do not let it ruin my life or make me gnash my teeth or lose sleep. I do not confront those who do hold onto the rails on the treadmill, nor do I judge them. It annoys me, that's all. I see them walking all the time other places without holding onto something. But that's as far as it goes. And I am accused of being judgmental??? You are the ones who are judgmental!
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    The OP asked about pet peeves. This is one of mine. I do not let it ruin my life or make me gnash my teeth or lose sleep. I do not confront those who do hold onto the rails on the treadmill, nor do I judge them. It annoys me, that's all. I see them walking all the time other places without holding onto something. But that's as far as it goes. And I am accused of being judgmental??? You are the ones who are judgmental!

Oh, and every treadmill in my gym has a safety latch that clips onto your shirt or pants which will dead stop the treadmill if you fall. Nobody EVER uses it! I do, and I'm looked down upon by those who hang on to the rails for dear life.
  • Alexmycat
    Alexmycat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What are you holding onto while you are walking somewhere other than on a treadmill?

Crutches. At the time that I needed to hold onto the rails of the treadmill, I used crutches to walk. I'm really baffled that my disability would be someone else's peeve. It's not like I was completely thrilled with it myself. You do have the option of not looking though, right?

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    How do you know you're looked down upon by the people holding the rails?

When I first started using the treadmill, I used the clip AND held onto the rails!!! Can you imagine??? It's a good thing I work out at home. I'm clearly not fit to be seen in public.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

The difference is that the ground doesn't move beneath your feet. Treadmills do. For some people, that motion poses a problem, and it's disorienting enough that they need to hold on. No other reason. Sorry you find that annoying.

• mommymissy82
    mommymissy82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

Completely agree with everyone here being judgemental, OP and others are just venting. relax people, she isn't going up to them, they will never know so if it is health related or not, it doesn't bother them what she is thinking.
    She asked for pet peeves not to hear how everyone here thinks they are perfect and never judge people at the gym or anywhere else. You may be to busy at GE gym to be bothered to pay attention to others like some have mentioned but I bet in other situations you judge or have peeves and it's the same thing,
    Move along and don't answer the question, don't have a pet peeve...great, next thread
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options

Oh, and every treadmill in my gym has a safety latch that clips onto your shirt or pants which will dead stop the treadmill if you fall. Nobody EVER uses it! I do, and I'm looked down upon by those who hang on to the rails for dear life.

never seen anyone ever use them and my current gym doesn't have them