Options

Replies

• slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    slideaway1 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

So you can't tell if you have a need to use the bathroom before you start what is most likely no more that a 10 minute session on a bench, machine, etc or wait 10 minutes till you finish with it?
    Those pre workouts can go straight through you :#

There were some recreational level bros at my old gym that wore adult diapers just in case there was an issue caused by their legally questionable supplementation.

That's brilliant :D. And I thought lifting was supposed to restore your dignity.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    It's so crazy the rules people in this thread feel others should be following. Maybe it's a regional thing or an age difference thing that makes people think these things, I don't know. But to be worried or concerned or bothered or annoyed, whatever you want to call it, and say it's people just wasting time, seems like you guys are using too much of your time getting annoyed with how random people spend their time.

If people want to warm up for an hour then do 1 set on each machine then go home
    If someone wants to hold onto the treadmill
    if someone doesn't put a lock on their locker
    If the grunt loud
    If they take 5 minute rest periods
    If they stand in the corner staring at the wall for an hour

Who cares, it's their time, mind your business.

amen

/end thread
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Health problems? Doing that is actually bad for your health as it causes you to lean forward unnaturally. What are you holding onto while you are walking somewhere other than on a treadmill?

I'm not using a treadmill now just because for whatever reason, it hurts me more. I sold the really nice one I owned a few months ago. I held on at times, but didn't lean forward. That will be different for each person that does have to hold on.

As far as my regular walking/hiking outside, I use a large stick and am looking to get some hiking poles. I figure it looks better than the cane and walker my doctors want me to use. I was first prescribed an old lady walker in my 30s and refused and I still don't want to use one in my 40s.

I have nerve damage at L4, L5 that makes one or both legs sometimes just suddenly no longer work. There is no warning. It sucks to fall. Sucks bad. So, I hold on.

eta: I use the stick for long walks and not walking around doing normal things - yes I still fall occasionally.

So therefore, you don't use a treadmill. I wasn't talking about people who have health issues who can't use a treadmill. I was talking about people who can walk perfectly fine by themselves who still, on a treadmill, hold onto it instead of walking as they normally do.

You don't know if the motion of it causes them balance issues either. It's really not your business.

You are absolutely right. It's not my business. It annoys me, but I don't go up to people who do so, shake my finger in their face, and tell them that if they have to hold onto the treadmill, that they need to get off of it. Sheesh!
    I hope you never know what it feels like to be injured so badly that it takes almost a year to walk correctly again.

Let me just say that walking on the treadmill after doing physical therapy for months was a joyful accomplishment for me.

I had to walk at a very very slow pace and use the rails for balance because my left leg was still not quite caught up to my right leg.

Anyway, I knew I probably looked like I wasn't doing anything much to anyone, but it was amazing to me, and a step forward.

Unfortunately this has happened several times with varying degrees of recovery time.

/ramble

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    No problem with that, cept where they are hogging a piece of equipment, not using it and im waiting for them to finish messing about with surfing the net.
  • slideaway1
    Options
    Yeah, a lot of judgemental people in this thread. People should walk a mile in other people shoes........just make sure you don't hold on to the running machine whilst doing it and take a shower afterwards!!! :D
  • kmccann357
    kmccann357 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My only pet peeve are people who pose at the gym, fully made up, looking like they're going on a night out and then don't actually work out or take it seriously. There are a few girls at my gym who do this and distract the rest of the class by messing around. If you go to the gym, WORK OUT and don't beg for attention so much that you ruin the class for everyone else. Like those naughty kids at school who impede your learning.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    Health problems? Doing that is actually bad for your health as it causes you to lean forward unnaturally. What are you holding onto while you are walking somewhere other than on a treadmill?

I'm not using a treadmill now just because for whatever reason, it hurts me more. I sold the really nice one I owned a few months ago. I held on at times, but didn't lean forward. That will be different for each person that does have to hold on.

As far as my regular walking/hiking outside, I use a large stick and am looking to get some hiking poles. I figure it looks better than the cane and walker my doctors want me to use. I was first prescribed an old lady walker in my 30s and refused and I still don't want to use one in my 40s.

I have nerve damage at L4, L5 that makes one or both legs sometimes just suddenly no longer work. There is no warning. It sucks to fall. Sucks bad. So, I hold on.

eta: I use the stick for long walks and not walking around doing normal things - yes I still fall occasionally.

So therefore, you don't use a treadmill. I wasn't talking about people who have health issues who can't use a treadmill. I was talking about people who can walk perfectly fine by themselves who still, on a treadmill, hold onto it instead of walking as they normally do.

It's really nuts how many people here that are bothered by other people doing something that's perfectly fine. What exactly is the issue with touching the rails while walking? Nothing, that's what, nothing. But so many people in here like ZOMG THEY HELD THE RAILS WHAT A TOOLBAG

Seriously.
    Plus people may LOOK fine to someone else but need the handrails. How the hell can someone tell who can "walk perfectly fine by themselves" and who cant?

Give me a break. I am sure I looked perfectly fine and just looked slow and lazy, but I know I was working hard.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    kmccann357 wrote: »
    My only pet peeve are people who pose at the gym, fully made up, looking like they're going on a night out and then don't actually work out or take it seriously. There are a few girls at my gym who do this and distract the rest of the class by messing around. If you go to the gym, WORK OUT and don't beg for attention so much that you ruin the class for everyone else. Like those naughty kids at school who impede your learning.

eh, if it not bothering YOUR workout why do YOU care...
  • kmccann357
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

If it's distracting the instructor and impeding the progress of the group then I do care. It's not fair when I pay for it.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    The OP asked about pet peeves. This is one of mine. I do not let it ruin my life or make me gnash my teeth or lose sleep. I do not confront those who do hold onto the rails on the treadmill, nor do I judge them. It annoys me, that's all. I see them walking all the time other places without holding onto something. But that's as far as it goes. And I am accused of being judgmental??? You are the ones who are judgmental!

Completely agree with everyone here being judgemental, OP and others are just venting. relax people, she isn't going up to them, they will never know so if it is health related or not, it doesn't bother them what she is thinking.
    She asked for pet peeves not to hear how everyone here thinks they are perfect and never judge people at the gym or anywhere else. You may be to busy at GE gym to be bothered to pay attention to others like some have mentioned but I bet in other situations you judge or have peeves and it's the same thing,
    Move along and don't answer the question, don't have a pet peeve...great, next thread

No.
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    And I don't think anyone is really understanding what I'm trying to say and it's coming off wrong.

I didn't say there's anything wrong with holding the bars! Whatever works for you is great :)

It just bothers me, like a weird tick? I wouldnt say OCD... That probably doesn't make any more sense.

I do apologize if it's offended anyone, absolutely nothing wrong with holding the bar. Still getting exercise and that's what why we go to the gym right?

Pet Peeve - When there's free treadmills but someone has to get on the one beside me. Like really?
    - When the gym staff don't bother to clean the bathrooms and make sure there's soap ect....
    - When people don't flush after taking a *kitten* in the gym toilet or anywhere for that matter.
    - When I'm trying to jog and someone turns off the fan! Like dafuck, I turned it on for a reason.

Okay enough for me I'm ranting haha.

• ndj1979
    Options

If it's distracting the instructor and impeding the progress of the group then I do care. It's not fair when I pay for it.

if it is that distracting then the instructor would kick them out…

just because you think it is so, does not make it so….
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Wow. As much flak as the treadmill gets (compared to running outside, etc), I never realized how amazing of a tool it could be. Just reading this thread, the treadmill has clearly been instrumental in helping people get their lives back
    Church!
  • kmccann357
    Options

Umm, do you go to my gym? It does distract, others have commented on it also, they aren't going to kick out paying customers.
    Pot calling the kettle black.

• ndj1979
    Options

Umm, do you go to my gym? It does distract, others have commented on it also, they aren't going to kick out paying customers.

if it is that bad then i would suggest talking to the instructor about it…

obviously it is not, because you would of complained to the instructor if you thought it was that distracting..OR if you have and the instructor has done nothing, then pay for a different class with an instructor that has the stones to do something.

I would suggest a strong dose of getting over it...
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    The only thing that annoys me at the gym is when a piece of equipment I want to use is out being fixed. RIP OLB.
  • slideaway1
    Options

Di you just call him a kettle? Keep it friendly people :D . God I'm bored.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

They can kick out paying customers - in order to continue to receive payments from the majority who are complaining. Don't be mad cos your gym management is ineffective at handling customer complaints. Unless, of course, it really is not as big a deal as you say it is.

Besides, I don't think you can instruct a gym class if you easily get distracted. People use every option imaginable for any and every exercise, we're not always perfectly in sync, etc. Mostly the instructors are just glad there's bodies in the class and that people are working towards improving their health...