This is not a dating page...

Options

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    csuhar wrote: »
    Granted, there are better, more polite ways to go about it. Someone who quickly friends, makes a move, gets turned down and immediately un-friends the person who turned them away is most likely a creeper looking to hook up. Friend requesting someone JUST to hit on them? That's a no-go in my book.
    So if someone wants to have sex with people they don't know very well, they are a bad person? Can you explain this a little more?

I never said ANYTHING about ANYTHING making someone a bad person. I said it makes them creepy. To me, a "creepy" person could simply be odd or suspicious, not necessarily bad. And it's not the potential sex aspect that does it.

If you want it broken down Barney-style, fine:

"I love(?) you, you love(?) me, but if all you want to do is make a pass at someone, just hit the 'send message' button instead of sending a friend request to someone you'll only stay friends with if they respond positively to your advances".

But, because this is the internet and not everyone speaks sarcasm to the same degree, let me explain it a bit more plainly, too:

I don't think someone should send a friend request to another individual JUST to hit on them, whatever the definition of "hit" might be, from "hey, want to hook up tonight?", to "Would you like to go out, sometime?" (where sex might not even be on the table), to "you're cute, are you seeing someone?" or even cat-calls. (Part of the challenge when people talk about this is trying to figure out what was actually said and what the recipient considers a "hit").

I especially feel someone shouldn't do this if their planned reaction to any negative response is to then un-friend the other individual.

Someone who does this IS pretty creepy because they're not being honest and approaching others under false pretenses. They're using the "friend" process when they actually have no interest in it and just want to hook up. They don't care about the people they send the requests to, they just care about getting what they want. And the un-friending of the individual who turns them down feels like an internet version of the manipulative "you're not REALLY my friend..." approach. It's like setting it all up to take an extra, spiteful, dig at a person for turning you down. To me, that adds to the "creep" factor.

If all you want is to make an advance, that's fine. But don't send a friend request to someone you're not interested in being "just (internet) friends" with. Click the "send message" button and make your advance. If they respond positively, go with it. If they turn you down or ignore you, no harm, no foul, just move on.

Leave the friending process for those who want to continue to interact without making the interaction contingent upon one individual accepting the advances of the other.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    Is the offending guy going to own up and post his side of the story? Come forward sir.

That would be fun. I don't have tv.
    Then we all get to chant JER-RY!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZLVi4v7lSM
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I have been on this site for months! I have never turned down a friend request!

And WHAT THE HECK. Nobody has hit on me, ever. Not the straight dudes, not the lesbians, not the pansexuals, nobody.

It's enough to make me think that this might not be epidemic on MFP! Unless you are trying to tell me nobody wants an old hag like me. Hmmmmmm.

You should probably prepare for an influx of nudes to your inbox. I mean, the nudes won't be mine. Probably. But I'm sure there will be some.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    And WHAT THE HECK. Nobody has hit on me, ever. Not the straight dudes, not the lesbians, not the pansexuals, nobody.

It's enough to make me think that this might not be epidemic on MFP! Unless you are trying to tell me nobody wants an old hag like me. Hmmmmmm.

Me either!! Should we feel insulted? (J/k, happily married o:) )

Though I do turn down some friend requests. I like to interact with everyone on my list, but keep it's size low enough that it doesn't take the focus off what I am here for.

Yeah, I'm not looking to replace my husband at this point....but it's the principle of the thing, damnit!

I don't really use the "news feed" function so much. So I haven't really felt any "bloat" from too many friends. But, then, I don't have many...most are people I've enjoyed on various naughty derailing sarcastic threads. So, many of my friends list live behind bars half the time. ;)

funny-pictures-auto-dog-escape-388263.jpeg
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    I don't accept any friend requests, as that's not a part of this site I have interest in.

I did get a weird message nonetheless though from a guy who was like "Hey, chin up girl you're beautiful and you've got this," which was odd since I haven't posted anything indicating that I'm struggling with...well, anything, really. It was creepy and unwelcome, and I deleted it immediately.

That message apparently went to a lot of people.

yeah i got that one or something similar i think. its not hard to ignore LOLOLOL

I got it twice. However my reaction was:
    Angel_Confused.gif

and then -
    47610-whatever-emma-stone-gif-uX7k.gif

• astrocosmiczoom
    astrocosmiczoom Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    As someone married, I just kind of kick back and observe all the stuff that goes on and laugh.
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Omg people are weird lol
  • englishmermaid
    englishmermaid Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    I don't accept any friend requests, as that's not a part of this site I have interest in.

I did get a weird message nonetheless though from a guy who was like "Hey, chin up girl you're beautiful and you've got this," which was odd since I haven't posted anything indicating that I'm struggling with...well, anything, really. It was creepy and unwelcome, and I deleted it immediately.

I guess he assumed everyone on here is depressed and struggling lol, weirdo
  • paultassy
    paultassy Posts: 281 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I joined this page for support to lose weight. Not 10 minutes after I signed up, I had a man hit on me. As soon as I told him I had a fiancé he unfriended me. I wanted to record my journey and help others lose weight not find a date. Please guys, use another site to find a date. This is for people looking for support and help on losing weight and getting healthy.

Women are guilty of it too.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Granted, there are better, more polite ways to go about it. Someone who quickly friends, makes a move, gets turned down and immediately un-friends the person who turned them away is most likely a creeper looking to hook up. Friend requesting someone JUST to hit on them? That's a no-go in my book.
    So if someone wants to have sex with people they don't know very well, they are a bad person? Can you explain this a little more?

I never said ANYTHING about ANYTHING making someone a bad person.

If you want it broken down Barney-style, fine:

"I love(?) you, you love(?) me, but if all you want to do is make a pass at someone, just hit the 'send message' button instead of sending a friend request to someone you'll only stay friends with if they respond positively to your advances".

But, because this is the internet and not everyone speaks sarcasm to the same degree, let me explain it a bit more plainly, too:

I don't think someone should send a friend request to another individual JUST to hit on them, whatever the definition of "hit" might be, from "hey, want to hook up tonight?", to "Would you like to go out, sometime?" (where sex might not even be on the table), to "you're cute, are you seeing someone?" or even cat-calls. (Part of the challenge when people talk about this is trying to figure out what was actually said and what the recipient considers a "hit").

I especially feel someone shouldn't do this if their planned reaction to any negative response is to then un-friend the other individual.

Someone who does this IS pretty creepy because they're not being honest. They're using the "friend" process when they actually have no interest in it and just want to hook up.

If all you want is to make an advance, that's fine. But don't send a friend request to someone you're not interested in being "just (internet) friends" with. Click the "send message" button and make your advance. If they respond positively, go with it. If they turn you down or ignore you, no harm, no foul, just move on.

Leave the friending process for those who want to continue to interact without making the interaction contingent upon one individual accepting the advances of the other.

So if someone doesn't use the "friend" feature the same way you do on a social networking site, they are creepy and a liar?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You do realise there are tens if not hundreds of thousands using MFP, statistically thats going to throw up all sorts of peeps. I cnat figure out whether it was being hit on or the defriending which upset the OP the most. A smart webiste would put them in jail.
  • trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Guys OP flounced like 5 pages back - this should now be a mean people thread.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Click the "send message" button and make your advance. If they respond positively, go with it. If they turn you down or ignore you, no harm, no foul, just move on.
    Also, just curious, how is friending/unfriending someone harmful to them? Is there a USB attachment that squirts venom at you when you're unfriended on a social networking site?

• never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    paultassy wrote: »
    I joined this page for support to lose weight. Not 10 minutes after I signed up, I had a man hit on me. As soon as I told him I had a fiancé he unfriended me. I wanted to record my journey and help others lose weight not find a date. Please guys, use another site to find a date. This is for people looking for support and help on losing weight and getting healthy.

So true!!! Happened to me too!!! Some women are guilty of it too. Please, people!

Oh noooose!!! Someone paid attention to you?!?!?

Please, unless they are truly harassing and/or vulgar, just take it as it is and move on.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Click the "send message" button and make your advance. If they respond positively, go with it. If they turn you down or ignore you, no harm, no foul, just move on.
    Also, just curious, how is friending/unfriending someone harmful to them? Is there a USB attachment that squirts venom at you when you're unfriended on a social networking site?

Every time someone enters and exits your special place it lowers your desirability.....

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    SyzygyX wrote: »
    I write them essays in response to their initial contact. One has been on phonoaesthetics, another on biosemiotics, and yet another on the ancient Greek practice of Orgia. Weirdly, I never receive a follow up.

this made me happy
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

i got wrapped up in ANOTHER mean people thread?

it keeps happening to me..........

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Oohh...where can I get one of those. For, you know, reasons...
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

It happens to the best of us.

• trinatrina1984
    trinatrina1984 Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options

It happens to the best of us.

They all end up in a mean people thread if you leave it long enough.