This is not a dating page...

Options

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    amy_kee wrote: »
    why should you have to put something like that on your profile?? That's ridiculous. People should just know better and be here for the right reason. That guy was a total jerk. He was the wrong one. Women don't have to publish an encyclopedia of unacceptable behavior on guys trolling the web site for hook ups. The guys like this are the wrong ones. Why the F&*k don't they put on their profile that all there here for is to hook up with women? That would solve it too, wouldn't it?

It's not just the men who engage in this sort of behavior. There are plenty of male members on this site who have included a note in their profile that they are married/in a relationship/not interested in dating. I've also seen many more photos from women that violate the guidelines than from men, so it's not just the guys engaging in unacceptable behavior.

Some users include a note in their profile asking anyone sending a FR to include why they want to be friends with the request, and deny any requests without a note. Your options are pretty much to either let users know upfront what you are looking for in friends, vet users from whom you accept a FR, or just deal with any advances that come along by deleting the member from your list. You can't prevent anyone from hitting on you in the online world any more than you can stop them from hitting on you when you're standing in line at the DMV.

yupyup - i dont get offended when someone hits on me in real life, why would i online? that said, ive never had an issue with it on here - but i vet my friends, talk a little about my husband in my profile, and don't post photos or make comments that would make someone THINK im interested.

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I joined this page for support to lose weight. Not 10 minutes after I signed up, I had a man hit on me. As soon as I told him I had a fiancé he unfriended me. I wanted to record my journey and help others lose weight not find a date. Please guys, use another site to find a date. This is for people looking for support and help on losing weight and getting healthy.

The world would be a nicer place if more men (and women, I'm sure!) expressed their interest and then quickly and quietly backed off once you let them know you weren't available.

I think you were just a bit 'unlucky' (from your viewpoint, as you clearly don't welcome men expressing their interest) that you got a message so soon after joining the site. I think most people get them from time to time, but I think the immediacy of that one might have given the impression MFP is full of rampant sex pests. Which it might be, but they aren't going for me so I remain blissfully ignorant o:)
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I joined this page for support to lose weight. Not 10 minutes after I signed up, I had a man hit on me. As soon as I told him I had a fiancé he unfriended me. I wanted to record my journey and help others lose weight not find a date. Please guys, use another site to find a date. This is for people looking for support and help on losing weight and getting healthy.

UnluckyFragrantKarakul.gif

This was too much!! Haha!!

OP I wouldn't worry about it to much. Ignore anything that's not wanted. People are going to do what they want to do, just focus on you. :)
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

The world would be a nicer place if more men (and women, I'm sure!) expressed their interest and then quickly and quietly backed off once you let them know you weren't available.

I think you were just a bit 'unlucky' (from your viewpoint, as you clearly don't welcome men expressing their interest) that you got a message so soon after joining the site. I think most people get them from time to time, but I think the immediacy of that one might have given the impression MFP is full of rampant sex pests. Which it might be, but they aren't going for me so I remain blissfully ignorant o:)

Inbox to be bombarded in 3...2...1...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    I don't accept any friend requests, as that's not a part of this site I have interest in.

I did get a weird message nonetheless though from a guy who was like "Hey, chin up girl you're beautiful and you've got this," which was odd since I haven't posted anything indicating that I'm struggling with...well, anything, really. It was creepy and unwelcome, and I deleted it immediately.

That message apparently went to a lot of people.

yeah i got that one or something similar i think. its not hard to ignore LOLOLOL
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I don't accept any friend requests, as that's not a part of this site I have interest in.

I did get a weird message nonetheless though from a guy who was like "Hey, chin up girl you're beautiful and you've got this," which was odd since I haven't posted anything indicating that I'm struggling with...well, anything, really. It was creepy and unwelcome, and I deleted it immediately.

yeah i got that one or something similar i think. its not hard to ignore LOLOLOL

I thought it was just for me. :'(
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    yesimpson wrote: »

I thought it was just for me. :'(

yeah i thought mine was for me too. guess none of us are as special as we thought LOLOLOLOL
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    So, are we saying that it's bad to ask for noodz and a KIK name on the first exchange?

But, seriously, sometimes I wonder how people survive real life. Try walking past a construction site in NYC in the middle of the summer wearing a dress.
    You want me to walk past a construction site in a dress? Heals? Yea or Nea? And you have my KIK name: meluvulongtime.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    So, are we saying that it's bad to ask for noodz and a KIK name on the first exchange?

But, seriously, sometimes I wonder how people survive real life. Try walking past a construction site in NYC in the middle of the summer wearing a dress.
    You want me to walk past a construction site in a dress? Heals? Yea or Nea? And you have my KIK name: meluvulongtime.

tumblr_inline_neh6foQXf81r56m25.gif
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

tumblr_inline_neh6foQXf81r56m25.gif

OMG I'm sorry! Stop crying. . . .stop.

• martycon400
    martycon400 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    what if............you just ignored them :o
  • vanessangonzalez
    vanessangonzalez Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Agree, OP!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Agree, OP!

How many men have you asked out?

(And why don't any women want to answer that?)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I have been on this site for months! I have never turned down a friend request!

And WHAT THE HECK. Nobody has hit on me, ever. Not the straight dudes, not the lesbians, not the pansexuals, nobody.

It's enough to make me think that this might not be epidemic on MFP! Unless you are trying to tell me nobody wants an old hag like me. Hmmmmmm.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

Word. New Yorker here. I just keep my head up. If it was genuinely a nice comment, I'll smile. If it was rude I'll keep walking, flip the bird, or in some cases tell them off completely.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    And WHAT THE HECK. Nobody has hit on me, ever. Not the straight dudes, not the lesbians, not the pansexuals, nobody.

It's enough to make me think that this might not be epidemic on MFP! Unless you are trying to tell me nobody wants an old hag like me. Hmmmmmm.

Me either!! Should we feel insulted? (J/k, happily married o:) )

Though I do turn down some friend requests. I like to interact with everyone on my list, but keep it's size low enough that it doesn't take the focus off what I am here for.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Is the offending guy going to own up and post his side of the story? Come forward sir.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Is the offending guy going to own up and post his side of the story? Come forward sir.

That would be fun. I don't have tv.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »

Me either!! Should we feel insulted? (J/k, happily married o:) )

Though I do turn down some friend requests. I like to interact with everyone on my list, but keep it's size low enough that it doesn't take the focus off what I am here for.

Yeah, I'm not looking to replace my husband at this point....but it's the principle of the thing, damnit!

I don't really use the "news feed" function so much. So I haven't really felt any "bloat" from too many friends. But, then, I don't have many...most are people I've enjoyed on various naughty derailing sarcastic threads. So, many of my friends list live behind bars half the time. ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »

That would be fun. I don't have tv.
    Then we all get to chant JER-RY!