Alternative to weight training for muscle maintenance?

Options

Replies

• mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »
    mokaiba wrote: »

[. . . snip . . .]

Also your profile 'about me' makes me think no one should ever listen to you.

"Staple foods for me: Pizza, Count Chocula Cereal, Bagels with cream cheese, Egg whites, whole eggs, bacon, chicken breast, cookies, sirloin, tacos, pizza, Peanut Butter & Co. Dark White Chocolate Wonderful, Ice cream & Gelato, pizza "

Bottom line, you can listen to my advice or you can sit there all day starving and eventually gorging yourself back to your starting weight.

Oh dear me.

bdkrq164q1xj.gif

you say oh dear me, but fail to realize what I just stated is the same as the last 15 posters....
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Cortelli wrote: »

[. . . snip . . .]

Also your profile 'about me' makes me think no one should ever listen to you.

"Staple foods for me: Pizza, Count Chocula Cereal, Bagels with cream cheese, Egg whites, whole eggs, bacon, chicken breast, cookies, sirloin, tacos, pizza, Peanut Butter & Co. Dark White Chocolate Wonderful, Ice cream & Gelato, pizza "

Bottom line, you can listen to my advice or you can sit there all day starving and eventually gorging yourself back to your starting weight.

Oh dear me.

bdkrq164q1xj.gif

you say oh dear me, but fail to realize what I just stated is the same as the last 15 posters....

No sir. I worked my way through what you were saying. And I've been posting in this thread for a bit, and referring to a number of serious discussions and published research. I am uncomfortable with your declarative and odd sentences like "Every scientific paper agrees . . ." and "it prevents it from catabolizing itself" and my favorite is of course the bolded part at the end of your post. Magnificent!

Mostly I was responding "dear me" because you don't really know MrM at all (presumably); you looked at his profile and walked away with entirely the wrong end of the stick. I mean, entirely the wrong end.

Thanks for the flag, too!
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Setting goals is great, and "technically" you are not trying to move below what is medically acceptable. Assuming it is truly medically acceptable to weigh less than 98+% of your peers.

Your stated goal makes me uncomfortable, so I will move on.

I'm not sure why anyone would be uncomfortable with my goal being to weigh less than my 'peers' when 60% of women my age (in the UK) are overweight or obese. And as you say, my goal of 9st is well within the medically accepted healthy weight range.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I just want to know if eating 2g of protein per kg of bodyweight will turn my face into a white square.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Setting goals is great, and "technically" you are not trying to move below what is medically acceptable. Assuming it is truly medically acceptable to weigh less than 98+% of your peers.

Your stated goal makes me uncomfortable, so I will move on.

I'm not sure why anyone would be uncomfortable with my goal being to weigh less than my 'peers' when 60% of women my age (in the UK) are overweight or obese. And as you say, my goal of 9st is well within the medically accepted healthy weight range.

OP, I totally get wanting to weigh what you did when you were younger. However, if your lean mass really is 138#, unless you lay in a hospital bed and let your muscle atrophy, you will not achive that goal.

I'm 5'7" and weigh 150lbs. I've got approximately 115lbs of lean mass Which means my body fat is about 23%. For me to weigh what I did in high school (128#) and keep all of my lean mass, I'd have a body fat of about 10%. Which is possible for women for very very short periods of time and I risk many things.
    When I was 128# in high school, I wore a size 5. At 150#, I can still wear a size5. Because I have muscle.

If you truly have 138# of lean mass, you will look better at a higher weight. I highly suggest that you make your goal weight 160lbs. Which I know is overweight for your height. But get to 160lbs and reevaluate. You may find that you like how you look at a higher BMI due to your lbm.

This is me about a month ago. 150ish lbs.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    I highly suggest that you make your goal weight 160lbs. Which I know is overweight for your height. But get to 160lbs and reevaluate. You may find that you like how you look at a higher BMI due to your lbm.

Yes, I will do that. If I can feel good and wear the clothes I like at 160lb, so much the better! But I was recently (3 years ago) at 138lb and exercising regularly and was still flabby, so...
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I highly suggest that you make your goal weight 160lbs. Which I know is overweight for your height. But get to 160lbs and reevaluate. You may find that you like how you look at a higher BMI due to your lbm.

Yes, I will do that. If I can feel good and wear the clothes I like at 160lb, so much the better! But I was recently (3 years ago) at 138lb and exercising regularly and was still flabby, so...

Were you doing a progressive resistance program?
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options

Yes, I was practicing Ashtanga Yoga 4-5x per week, which as you may know includes a lot of positions where you have to lift and hold your bodyweight. The routine is progressive in that you keep adding more difficult postures and holding the positions for longer as you progress.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Yes, I was practicing Ashtanga Yoga 4-5x per week, which as you may know includes a lot of positions where you have to lift and hold your bodyweight. The routine is progressive in that you keep adding more difficult postures and holding the positions for longer as you progress.

Sorry but that is not resistance training.

Sorry, but it IS progressive resistance if you move to increasingly challenging poses. The amount of strength needed to lift and support your body in certain positions is phenomenal. What is progressive resistance? It's increasing the overload consistently to facilitate adaptation, and that can happen through many things, Ashtanga Yoga is one of them. If OP keeps challenging their muscles they are essentially practicing progressive resistance.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Sorry, but it IS progressive resistance if you move to increasingly challenging poses. The amount of strength needed to lift and support your body in certain positions is phenomenal. What is progressive resistance? It's increasing the overload consistently to facilitate adaptation, and that can happen through many things, Ashtanga Yoga is one of them. If OP keeps challenging their muscles they are essentially practicing progressive resistance.

Sorry but it is not. You can tell yourself it is. But it isn't.

How do you define it then?
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

In your yoga is there slow/fast twitching muscle fiber recruiting?
    Is there really tension overload?
    Is yoga weight training?

Yes, yes and yes, though not to the extent of weight training - provided you advance the pose progressively.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options

Is yoga weight training?

Yes, yes and yes, though not to the extent of weight training - provided you advance the pose progressively.

Lol. Yea okay. You keep telling yourself that. And to say that yoga is weight training that's just absurd.

The human body is weightless?
  • amusedmonkey
    edited March 2015
    Options

Is yoga weight training?

Lol. Yea okay. You keep telling yourself that. And to say that yoga is weight training that's just absurd.

The human body is weightless?
    Please. By that logic walking is weight training because when you walk around your legs are holding up the rest of your bod . Yoga being weight training Lol.
    Eating a hamburger is weight training to. Every time you pick it up off the plate and take a bite that's a bicep curl right? Because a hamburger has weight.

Walking is resistance training if you are re-learning to walk again after a long period of injury and muscle atrophy. Once it stops adding strength to the muscles it stops being progressive resistance training. Body weight training has been around for ages and is known to increase strength.

Edit: in fact I'll add, there is a reason why inactive obese people tend to have more muscle mass than inactive non-obese individuals.