• kitchensolo
    kitchensolo Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Get thee to a doctor. An M.D.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I am doing something similar with mushrooms.

Me too! I just hate the texture and taste of mushrooms. Well.. I'm not gagging or throwing up, but I feel very uncomfortable. Though as that's the only thing I really avoid it's no problem.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of the texture of pavlova.

Like a combination of paddle pop sticks and chalk.

So I can understand having issues with some foods. But not all fruit and veggies to the point a single pea can cause vomiting.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    amitkatz0 wrote: »
    The only way I could see this being a real problem is that if you're actually gagging or physically disgusted by fruits and veggies. I've never heard of a medical condition like that, it sounds more like a maturity problem.

Sensory processing disorder. ETA one of my kids is 11 and had that problem, still has a degree of it but it isn't nearly as bad as it was. He's very wary of new foods now though, since he used to gag and vomit on certain things.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I wonder if OP's parents coddled her when she was a child???
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just keep exposing yourself to one food at a time. Put it in your mouth and just taste the flavour without chewing, spit it out. Repeat 5 days. 6th day, chew, taste, spit. Repeat until day 11 when you eat one bite. Repeat to day 15, increasing the amount you eat as you are comfortable with. Aim for at least 20 consecutive exposures to that single veggie or fruit. Switch to new veggie. I would start with an easy one like carrot.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Some people have legitimate plant allergies that cause them to throw up if they eat many types of fruits/ veggies. You really are going to have to be evaluated by a doctor to see what is wrong. It is NOT necessarily "all in the head." I have friends who throw up if they eat any tomatoes or onions or garlic, and various other plant items. including if they do not know that these items are ingredients in what they just ate.

As I mentioned earlier there are also neurological conditions that can cause this sort of thing. I love broccoli but a few months ago when my problem started eating some caused immediate vomiting. Same for baby carrots, which I also ate frequently prior to that.

I also seriously doubt the OP's problem is actually ALL fruits/veggies. She's young and probably hasn't tried very many different things (or different preparations) before declaring them all a problem.

Or she's trolling and I'm projecting. Since her account's deactivated we may never know.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Is it the taste? The texture? I have gastroparesis so I struggle with fruits (with skins and seeds) and vegetables too. Smoothies do wonders. I think your best bet would be smoothies and definitely talk to your doctor about it. I don't think anybody on here can help you to the extent youre looking for. Good luck
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You must be missing lots of healthy vitamins. Please see a Dr who should refer you to the right people. As fruit and vegetables all taste different I would have thought this was a psychological problem. With help you should be able to overcome this.
    In the meantime to start getting used to tastes would blending help. Maybe it's a texture thing.
    Good luck.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To those who really gave me advice, thank you. I'm going to see a doctor next week and get to the bottom of this.
    I know you don't have to eat fruits and veggies to be healthy, but you can't replace pure nutrients with alternative. That's my own opinion. Also, to those who thinks I'm being a "troll", I'm not. It's something I have and I told you because I read an article about a woman who lost over 100 pounds because of this app. I just thought it would help me as well.

Yes, this MFP app and website definitely will help you lose weight. However goofy fads, phobias, and inaccurate information are not well tolerated here.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why is the OP's account deactivated?

Some people can't stand the truth. I hope the OP finds the help they need and achieves their dreams.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hate olives - I've never eaten an olive, but I know that they are disgusting.
    Olives=/= "all fruits and vegetables"
    One can be perfectly healthy for a lifetime without trying (yummy) olives
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    Man, you guys are f*&ked up. There are a lot of VERY legitimate things that can cause these kinds of taste/texture aversions - things that can be crippling if they aren't caught by the system.

Sensory defensiveness can indicate you are somewhere on the autism spectrum (being an undiagnosed adult on the spectrum trying to cope with life is hell and then some.) PTSD is another legitimate issue. Sensory processing disorders. The list goes on and on.

Mental health / cognitive health issues have a stigma because people like the folks in this thread actively shame people who are not normative out of ignorance. OP's issue is not normative, so, lacking resources, she came here for help.

To everyone telling her to suck it up, you seriously suck.

So the taste and texture of fruits and veggies are all the same? Magically, no other foods taste/textures cause these triggers?

This.

And to the first poster, I have a kid with sensory issues. It's a wide variety of foods she is averse to smell wise and texture wise. It's a challenge getting her to eat anything and she is small for her age. But she understands that getting her nutrients from a variety of foods is important. She is also 6 years old.

Sorry but a grown adult who's 290 lbs puking because they ate a pea? Lol. Not buying it.

Also eta: Op doesn't need fruit and veggies to lose weight. She just needs a calorie deficit.

Yep.
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    My son gags and heaves if he eats fruits and veg. He can tolerate bananas. He will drink smoothies but physically balks if he tries to eat them in their natural form. So yes it is possible to have issues with textures etc.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Kcrr1981 wrote: »
    I am one of the “weird” people who do not eat many veggies at all. The only green veggie I can eat is green beans, and let me tell you, I eat a massive amount of them every week. I have tried everything to learn to like them but it just does not work for me. I have cooked them in every way possible and covered them in every kind of sauce. I have tried mashed potatoes made out of cauliflower and still nothing works. I would LOVE to like veggies but at 34 years old I just don’t think it will ever happen. So I just stick with the one I love Green Beans =)

Mashed potatoes made out of cauliflower = mashed cauliflower. Not potatoes.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Why is the OP's account deactivated?

Typical.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Kcrr1981 wrote: »
    I am one of the “weird” people who do not eat many veggies at all. The only green veggie I can eat is green beans, and let me tell you, I eat a massive amount of them every week. I have tried everything to learn to like them but it just does not work for me. I have cooked them in every way possible and covered them in every kind of sauce. I have tried mashed potatoes made out of cauliflower and still nothing works. I would LOVE to like veggies but at 34 years old I just don’t think it will ever happen. So I just stick with the one I love Green Beans =)

Mashed potatoes made out of cauliflower = mashed cauliflower. Not potatoes.

:laugh: :+1:

For the record, mashed cauliflower is so much nicer than mashed potato. I add a little Parmesan cheese and a tbs of sour cream and it's done!
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    my 19 year old has a problems with certain smells and textures. she cant even eat jello without gagging and she loves jello. but not all fruits and veggies cause this for her. if any food smells bad to her she will gag and she was fine as a child and would eat almost anything,as she got a little older it started. doesn't have to be food either to get her gagging from certain smells.(she has only thrown up once or twice though). mayo or anything with vinegar is a big one for her.she eats NO condiments,only veggie she eats is mashed potatoes,fruits- she only eats strawberries,kiwi,lemon,grapes,oranges,pineapple and that's basically it.

my mom used to babysit a little girl who gagged on everything she ate and would vomit. she was taken to the dr and has some kind of issue(cant remember what it was) but it had to do with her stomach/digestive system.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    But I weighed myself today and gain over 290 pounds.

I'm still unclear as to whether the OP weighs 290 lbs, or gained 290 lbs.

Not that it matters at this point....