Options
1235»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Kcrr1981 wrote: »
    I am one of the “weird” people who do not eat many veggies at all. The only green veggie I can eat is green beans, and let me tell you, I eat a massive amount of them every week. I have tried everything to learn to like them but it just does not work for me. I have cooked them in every way possible and covered them in every kind of sauce. I have tried mashed potatoes made out of cauliflower and still nothing works. I would LOVE to like veggies but at 34 years old I just don’t think it will ever happen. So I just stick with the one I love Green Beans =)

Mashed potatoes made out of cauliflower = mashed cauliflower. Not potatoes.

:laugh: :+1:

For the record, mashed cauliflower is so much nicer than mashed potato. I add a little Parmesan cheese and a tbs of sour cream and it's done!
    umm no

ummm yeah :D We obviously have different tastes ;)

• spilledmilk
    spilledmilk Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    amitkatz0 wrote: »
    The only way I could see this being a real problem is that if you're actually gagging or physically disgusted by fruits and veggies. I've never heard of a medical condition like that, it sounds more like a maturity problem.

This could be something called selective eating disorder. Yes, this is a real thing, and my fiancee has it. It's not as easy as just "getting over it", it cam involve years of therapy. My fiancee would get physically ill from certain foods, smells and textures. To the point where she would rather starve than eat them.

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    I am one of the “weird” people who do not eat many veggies at all. The only green veggie I can eat is green beans, and let me tell you, I eat a massive amount of them every week. I have tried everything to learn to like them but it just does not work for me. I have cooked them in every way possible and covered them in every kind of sauce. I have tried mashed potatoes made out of cauliflower and still nothing works. I would LOVE to like veggies but at 34 years old I just don’t think it will ever happen. So I just stick with the one I love Green Beans =)

For the record, mashed cauliflower is so much nicer than mashed potato. I add a little Parmesan cheese and a tbs of sour cream and it's done!
    YOU LIE! NOTHING is nicer than mashed potatoes, well seasoned, with loads and loads of butter and a good slug of cream. Phttt! to your cauliflower.
    (I think I need to eat dinner)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

YOU LIE! NOTHING is nicer than mashed potatoes, well seasoned, with loads and loads of butter and a good slug of cream. Phttt! to your cauliflower.
    (I think I need to eat dinner)

HaHa I love mashed potato too. The cauliflower version has more taste. I made it for my kids and they didn't even realise it was cauliflower until I told them

• emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem with fruits and veggies and now I only have it with veggies. My parents never forced me to eat fruits and vegetables so when I got older and wanted to start taking better care of my body I had a really hard time with the textures. I started with apples and worked from there. Now I can eat most fruits but I had to force myself into eating them and gagged through many servings. I know it sound ridiculous to people that haven't experienced this but it's reallyyy hard to work through. I drink green smoothies to get my veggies for now and incorporate some cut really fine into my food. The smoothies don't taste super good to me but I find it's much easier to get through than eating the actual vegetable. I think a lot of it is mental, at least it was for me, I had to keep telling myself that I was being ridiculous and to just eat the damn thing lol

HOWEVER, if you are having trouble with the actual process of swallowing or your choking or really anything that you feel is more than just mental discomfort, go see a doctor!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    what is the opposite of orthorexia?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,535 Member
    Options
    Habitually you haven't been eating fruits and vegetables, so trying to flip a switch and do a 180 is more than likely the reason. Mentally you're not prepared to lose weight. May help to just try some soups with vegetables in them, but overall it's more than likely a mental block.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png