Help! I hate the treadmill!

Options
1235»

Replies

• rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you don't enjoy the treadmill, don't use it. Find activities you enjoy and do them. There are plenty of workouts you can do at home with little to no equipment. You can ride a bike, walk, dance, yoga, pilates, strength train, box/kickbox, etc. There are also plenty of DVDs out there that are inexpensive that you can purchase that will provide you with a guided workout.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

This is wrong. Cardio does nothing for weight loss, it just allows you to eat more and lose the same as you could with diet alone.

Strength training will help ensure that a larger % of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of fat and lean muscle.

Complete rubbish to say it does nothing. Cardio does burn calories and that helps you lose more, all things being equal. The actual effect it has depends upon duration and intensity.

The weight loss depends on calorific deficit from whatever source.

OP read up and you will see you are misinformed, but common sense says if you hate it then why do it, but go and find an alternative form of exercise that you enjoy and can do consistently, from walking to swimming, yoga etc. Anything that gets you moving and burns calories. If you join a gym and want to maximise weight loss, then do both cardio and resistance becayse they complement each other and have different benefits.

urloved33 assume thats a troll or yr wonger than a very wrong thing.

OP there are plenty of workouts on youtube or try fitnessblender.com.
    How quickly you should lose is not based on how much cardio you do. So the only change cardio should have on a properly designed weight-loss plan is how many calories you can eat.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    How quickly you should lose is not based on how much cardio you do. So the only change cardio should have on a properly designed weight-loss plan is how many calories you can eat.

The issue was does cardio do nothing or does it have an impact towards the deficit?

Clearly if you do more, then you increase that burn and your deficit. You seem to be moving it on to another debate, so a clarification would be appreciated.
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

A calorie deficit is the key to weight loss. Cardio and resistance training both have benefits, but weight loss isn't the primary one.

That being said, running or walking outside is fun and worthwhile, give it a try. Just don't expect results without a deficit.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    IF you don't like it, then don't use it. If you want to workout, find something that you enjoy and do it.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options

This is wrong. Cardio does nothing for weight loss, it just allows you to eat more and lose the same as you could with diet alone.

Strength training will help ensure that a larger % of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of fat and lean muscle.

I disagree slightly, in that cardio improves your cardiovascular system, which helps to strengthen your heart, which is a little more than "just getting to eat more."

I agree that lifting weights is great for losing weight and looking tone after all that fat melts away.

OP if you really want to do cardio but hate the treadmill, and I agree with you on that, try biking or dancing.
  • TCO76
    TCO76 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Wow can't believe this thread has three pages. Do any of you read before you post? How many times does the same stuff need to be repeated?? Seriously. And the back and forth bickering in these forums from the same people everyday is straight up sad. Nothing that is said in these forums is new. None of it. So no matter how many times you have to put your two cents into an already driven point, just know that no one cares. Put your keyboard down and go be someone who participates in life.

Jesus
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    TCO76 wrote: »
    Wow can't believe this thread has three pages. Do any of you read before you post? How many times does the same stuff need to be repeated?? Seriously. And the back and forth bickering in these forums from the same people everyday is straight up sad. Nothing that is said in these forums is new. None of it. So no matter how many times you have to put your two cents into an already driven point, just know that no one cares. Put your keyboard down and go be someone who participates in life.

Jesus

So why did you feel the need to repeat this? It's been said before too.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Watching TV from the treadmill (or trying to read- how do people do that??) made me dread it. But watching music videos with steady beats to walk/jog to have made all the difference. I have several rotation sets that I've created so I don't get bored with them.

If the treadmill is something you hate, however, find an alternative. YouTube alone has more workout videos than one could ever do in a lifetime, so you can find something that works for you.

My steady favorites: Fitness Blender and Jessica SmithTV.

Good luck!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Complete rubbish to say it does nothing. Cardio does burn calories and that helps you lose more, all things being equal. The actual effect it has depends upon duration and intensity.

The weight loss depends on calorific deficit from whatever source.

Actually 100% true... if you burn 400 cals on the treadmill and eat 1800 calories would be the same as eating 1400 and not stepping one foot on the treadmill. It is the deficit that matters. In this example, like I stated earlier, cardio allows you to eat more (400 cals in this case) and lose the same amount of weight you could by diet alone (1400 cal diet above) as 1800-400 = 1400-0.
    • err no you are wrong in saying cardio does nothing for weight loss, because you automatically adjusting it so that you eat every one of those exercise calories back. If you choose not to eat those calories back then the deficit increases proportionately.
    • Even if someone chooses to eat back exercise calories, its often those extra burn back calories that make a diet sustainable or more flexible. Many people on here benefit directly from being able to eat more and are thus able to stay consistent more easily.
    • In terms of direct calorie burns, then cardio provides the greatest burns, but then we know thats not the be all and end all.
    • You are also ignoring the other beneficial effects of exercise including a healthier heart and increased metabolism. Even bodybuilder.com sees the benefit in cardio.
    • http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark85.htm

So you are speaking rubbish when you say it does nothing. Its not a case of one being better than the other, they are complementray and anyone losing weight would benefit from doing both.

Wrong again, first bullet, you can eat less and not exercise. in other works eat 1400 instead of 1800 if you don't make it to the gym. Larger deficit isn't always better either. but you can get 100% of your deficit from diet alone, exercise not required!!!!

second bullet, yes, but that I didn't argue that point, just that cals in cals out are same if you eat less or burn more to the same degree

I did not ignore any other benefit from cardio, I did not once mention it should not be done, just that for weight loss it makes no difference if you are at maintenance if you cut 400 cals from your diet or burn 400 from cardio.

You keep reading into what I post what you want instead of taking it as written.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »

I disagree slightly, in that cardio improves your cardiovascular system, which helps to strengthen your heart, which is a little more than "just getting to eat more."

I agree that lifting weights is great for losing weight and looking tone after all that fat melts away.

OP if you really want to do cardio but hate the treadmill, and I agree with you on that, try biking or dancing.

But when it comes to weight loss (not health) cardio only allows you to eat more to lose the same! No one says it should not be done or there are not benes
  • haysavam
    haysavam Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sworkit app (free)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Watching TV from the treadmill (or trying to read- how do people do that??) made me dread it. But watching music videos with steady beats to walk/jog to have made all the difference. I have several rotation sets that I've created so I don't get bored with them.

If the treadmill is something you hate, however, find an alternative. YouTube alone has more workout videos than one could ever do in a lifetime, so you can find something that works for you.

My steady favorites: Fitness Blender and Jessica SmithTV.

Good luck!

I walk and read on the treadmill.
    I hold the book in my hands to read it, I couldn't leave it on the console
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill too and have NO sense of balance on one. I do however enjoy walking outside, especially on local trails.

But you don't have to do cardio to lose weight.
  • jcook0716
    jcook0716 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I hate the treadmill and walking on a track (bad memories of being fat in high-school and not being able to run). So i walk around the neighborhood as fast as i can for 2-3 miles. At home if you can get a medicine ball or kettleball you can do lots of excercises at home. I worked with a personal trainer that had me do a few exercises that kicked my butt last night with nothing other than a 10lb medicine ball.
  • katsmo
    katsmo Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Fitness Blender workouts on youtube are fun and free! I check out Leslie Sansone walking DVDs free from the library. You don't need any equipment for either of them. Good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?
    If you hate it, don't do it! Walking outside is always an options and doesn't cost anything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    Actually calorie deficit is the key to weight loss. One could do all the cardio they want, but if they eat more than they burn, weight loss ain't happening. One can lose weight without cardio and one can lose weight just lifting weights with no cardio. Again as long as there is a calorie deficit, weight loss should happen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Exercise to Burn CaloriesChristopher Wharton, PhD, a certified personal trainer and researcher with the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, put it simply: "The more time spent exercising and the more vigorous the exercise, the more calories will be burned."

Indeed, obesity expert George Bray, MD, with the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., believes that taking a brisk walk every day is probably the single most important piece of advice for anyone wanting to burn more calories.
    But if one eats more than they burn, weight loss won't happen. Say someone burned 1000 calories in one hour of cardio, but ate back 1100 of that burn on a consistent basis. It's not going to happen.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Sassy_xo
    Sassy_xo Posts: 44
    Options
    Jumping rope or jumping jacks. Home workout videos of zumba or other aerobics. Dancing, chair step ups...anything that gets your heart pumping!