Fitness trainer told me CEREAL was bad!!

Options

Replies

• twelfty
    twelfty Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    plain shreddies (store brand ones) with demerara sugar, never had any adverse affects from eating 1000 calories of it a day inc the milk and sugar lol
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??
    Lol, most trainers are just following information passed on by other trainers like sheep. Just a question: is your routine based around "core" training?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I recently just started weight lifting because they told me that it increases metabolism. I have been doing 30 min of elliptical and 10 minutes of vigorous swimming and maybe running half a mile sometimes...for 5 days a week. So basically too cardio focused
  • dawningr
    dawningr Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Cereal never fills me up, I'm always hungry a half hour after I eat.

But moderation is key. i think when you rule things out, you're setting up for failure.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    5-6 egg whites, one whole egg and two pieces of wheat toast.

The problem with most cereals (IMO) is that they contain a lot of sugars and are processed. If you get something like Kashi or oatmeal, it is less processed and better for you. I use cereal as a snack/treat now, never as a meal. Plus, after I got my food scale and realized how small a serving size of cereal was and that I was typically eating 3-4 servings for the morning plus milk it really made me re-evaluate what I eat in the mornings with respect to calories.

^^^ This is what I do and how I feel about cereal.
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I eat the Special K protein cereal with unsweetened almond milk. My usual breakfast "go to" are Low Fat Ego waffles and turkey sausage. As many people have stated, it's all about moderation!
  • tehboxingkitteh
    tehboxingkitteh Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Cheerios or Mini-Wheats with unsweetened almond milk and a banana. Carbs are yummy.

Unless your doctor is restricting your diet, I don't see why you can't eat cereal. Unless it's sugar coated crack like honey smacks or fruit loops, of course.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    the nurse/nutrion person who signed me up for mfp as dead set against things like rice krispies. almost psycotically so. anything white! i nodded politely..

Nodded politely and went elsewhere I hope!:wink:

Yes, sugary/chocolatey cereals are not good for you, but as for being processed - porridge is processed, otherwise you'd be chowing down on oat grains:happy: I have oatibix minis (unless I have time for porridge) but I always weigh the portion because like pasta its so hard to eyeball. (Cheese I can cut to the gram, "loose" things I always add too much without my scale.)

Eat a sensible portion within your goals and you'll come to know harm. In fact carbs are necessary for effective training so :tongue: to the trainer:laugh:
  • AlyssaJoJo
    AlyssaJoJo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    smarties cereal
  • sk_pirate
    sk_pirate Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast, but post workout I might eat cereal.Cocoa rice, Cocoa puffs, Cracklin Oat Bran, Honey Nut Cheerios, Apple Jacks, Raisin Bran etc.

Cereal is my favorite thing post-workout. Especially Apple Jacks! Mmmmm....
  • run2bfree
    run2bfree Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the trainer. Lots of sugar and "bad" carbs. Cereal is really a waste of calories. I go with egg whites, protein shake with fruit and oatmeal everyday.
  • musicmint
    musicmint Posts: 469
    Options
    the nurse/nutrion person who signed me up for mfp as dead set against things like rice krispies. almost psycotically so. anything white! i nodded politely..

Nodded politely and went elsewhere I hope!:wink:

Yes, sugary/chocolatey cereals are not good for you, but as for being processed - porridge is processed, otherwise you'd be chowing down on oat grains:happy: I have oatibix minis (unless I have time for porridge) but I always weigh the portion because like pasta its so hard to eyeball. (Cheese I can cut to the gram, "loose" things I always add too much without my scale.)

Eat a sensible portion within your goals and you'll come to know harm. In fact carbs are necessary for effective training so :tongue: to the trainer:laugh:

She said there were OTHER ways to get carbs like chicken, protein, veggies, anything green like spinach
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??
    Lol, most trainers are just following information passed on by other trainers like sheep. Just a question: is your routine based around "core" training?

IDEA Fitness member

I recently just started weight lifting because they told me that it increases metabolism. I have been doing 30 min of elliptical and 10 minutes of vigorous swimming and maybe running half a mile sometimes...for 5 days a week. So basically too cardio focused
    I'm sorry, I'm meant the program the trainer gave you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • EvilFeevil
    EvilFeevil Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you're not eating "kiddie" cereals full of chocolate, added sugar and marshmallows and eating a giant serving of it, I don't see the harm in it.

I've been taking cereal with almond milk (Silk, Blue Diamond, etc.) and strawberries to work for lunch for a couple months now and I'm still losing weight. I tend to only buy "adult"/healthier cereals like Crispix, Chex, etc. I won't buy a cereal that is much higher than 100-110 calories per cup so a cup of cereal with a cup of almond milk plus a 1/2 cup of strawberries is around a 200-calorie lunch, which for me is good, so I disagree with that trainer.

P.S. Not all carbs are bad. As someone else said, it all depends on the level of processing the food undergoes. Less processing = better for you.

EDIT: To those who said they skip breakfast, do I really need to bring up how breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it boosts your metabolism? I'm sure we all know this already, don't we? :wink:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Get rid of that trainer! There is no bad food that you should avoid unless you have a medical reason to do so.

Sure it has sugar, wheat and carbs but it's not terrible for you in moderation and will not harm your progress.

Eat cereal if you want to. I do now and again. If you don't (but make your own choice and not listen to that trainer), have eggs, bacon, toast, fruit, etc.

wow.... get rid of the trainer just because they said cereal is bad for you? Cereal is bad for you when you compare it to all the other GOOD REAL food you could eat instead of the highly processed sugar riddled junk. Why eat cereal that's like 200 calories for 1/3 cup when I could eat oatmeal and eggs for about that many calories? Just doesn't make sense.

Try reading Micheal Polan's Food Rules. Good information. One quote from the book, "If the cereal changes the color of the milk, don't eat it."

Also, I will say, fitness trainers have no business telling you what to eat unless they are certified in nutrition. Everything he tells you is just his opinion and he needs to be careful if he's giving nutrition advice as he could get sued.
  • xoemmytee
    xoemmytee Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I take it a little further and slice up the avocado and eat each cube with a little piece of bacon. The combo of salty bacon and rich avocado is to die for!
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the cereal you eat. I eat cereal occasionally. Usually bran flakes with my own raisins (No raisin bran because that does have more sugar) or other fruit (bananas, strawberries, blueberries, etc.) with almond milk. 3/4c is only 90 calories plus whatever else you put on it.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    There's a healthy alternative to everything. If you want to have cereal, supplement having a huge bowl of it with milk and opt for a smaller portion of cereal and add some fresh fruit and berries and some coconut milk/almond milk / skim milk.

I am not a breakfast eater by normality, but to make sure I don't snack, I try and have a small / medium breakfast to keep myself satisfied until lunch.

I usually have steel cut oats (you can do them plain, add a little brown sugar/stevia in the raw OR add some sauteed mushrooms, onions, green beans, etc and make it into almost a risotto.) or some egg whites with sauteed spinach and garlic, or some greek yogurt with fruit
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Cereal isn't a healthy breakfast. Go for brinta or oatmeal instead. A lot less sugar.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal every single morning for breakfast.
  • Running_Tanya
    Running_Tanya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Bacon and eggs. :) And coffee with cream.

Bacon and eggs with spinach. And tea with cream.