Fitness trainer told me CEREAL was bad!!

Options

Replies

• lvgaudet
    lvgaudet Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you are eating, say, Froot Loops or some other sugar coated cereal then it probably is bad.

No two cereals are equal.

And I've heard the whole carb argument about how carbs are bad.

Carbs are not bad and cereal is not bad. It's not balancing what you eat that is bad. The body needs a certain amount of carbs and sugar.

Eating sugar coated cereals every morning probably is not healthy, though once in a while won't hurt.
    Eating whole grain cereals, whether it has grain and carbs or not (all cereal is carbs), low sugar cereals more often is better. And mix up the carbs - simple vs complex carbs. Breads, cereals, rice, etc are simple carbs that turn to sugar faster.

whole grain cereals won't affect the waistline like the more processed grains. And anything that tastes sweeter like Honey Nut Cheerios does have a lot more sugar than less sweet like Cheerios, Special K, Rice Crispies, etc.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have free from coco snaps with coconut or hemp milk. I cant eat normal chocolate and so its my daily fix and also very quick to do .

I would love to have bacon and eggs but cant have eggs.
  • erikkmcvay
    erikkmcvay Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Cereal is high in carbs, high in sugar. I usually go for whole granola. Check the back of the label of your cereal and at least make sure the protein out-weighs the total fat amount. I try to have a high-protein breakfast; usually eggs paired with fruit or veggies. I say listen to your trainer. Good luck!

Granola = Cereal.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    Cereal is high in carbs, high in sugar. I usually go for whole granola. Check the back of the label of your cereal and at least make sure the protein out-weighs the total fat amount. I try to have a high-protein breakfast; usually eggs paired with fruit or veggies. I say listen to your trainer. Good luck!

Granola is cereal.

LOL you beat me to it!
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Lol. Don't eat cereal, eat deep fried cereal.
  • Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Real oatmeal ( not the instant one) with a diced apple and cinnamon. Eat a few minutes and enjoy! Keeps me full for so long and gives me the energy for my workout.
  • erikkmcvay
    Options
    ce·re·al
    [ sree əl ]

grain: the nutritious grain produced by a cultivated plant belonging to the grass family, e.g. oats, barley, rye, wheat, rice, and corn

For clarity I decided to post that.
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Veggie EggWhite Omelet: which consists of
    3 egg whites beaten with 1/2 tsp no salt seasoning & 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 cup diced zucchini
    1/2 cup diced red peppers
    1 T sundried tomatoes in olive oil
    3 c fresh spinach
    1/4 c feta cheese
    Saute tomatoes with diced veg in non stick pan,
    When veg are slightly soft, add spinach to wilt
    Reserve veg mix to bowl
    Coat non stick pan with 1 tsp EVOO
    Add beaten egg whites and swirl in pan to cover.
    Let egg whites set
    Sprinkle w feta cheese, then reserved veggies.
    Roll into omelet, slide onto warmed plate.

I add 3 tsp sriracha on top, sounds like a lot but the feta cheese tempers the heat.

I ran out of zucchini/peppers so lately I have been chopping up 3 oz of broccoli slaw to saute w the sundried tomatoes.

Cup of coffee and maybe a fruit completes my breakfast.
  • vecchioni
    vecchioni Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fire that trainer and eat cheerios!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??

Considering it's basically sugar, I can understand it.

I detest breakfast. So I eat nothing. Or a protein shake.
  • AmberLee2012
    AmberLee2012 Posts: 540
    Options
    I eat a piece of toast with peanut butter or an english muffin with peanut butter. Yummy and filling.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Had no idea cereal was bad for you since it contains wheat and carbs and sugar. What do YOU guys eat for breakfast??

Cereal.

Oatmeal, Grape Nuts, Regular shredded wheat is not bad for you.

Unless your fitness trainer is thinking of cereal like Frosted Flakes, Lucky Charms and Cocoa Puffs.
  • SDkitty
    SDkitty Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Since I'm usually on my way to work before 5am I'm quite lazy about breakfast during the week, I usually have any sort of combination of:

• banana
    • yogurt
    • unscrustable
    • hard boiled egg

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about cereal (healthy cereal here - not sugar bombs) but I don't eat it because it doesn't fill me up. I can eat like 4 servings of boxed cereal and be hungry still which is just a waste of calories. I do like a little granola in my yogurt though. :flowerforyou:
  • angelicatimas
    angelicatimas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes cereal is bad. Foods rich in carbohydrates give you quick energy, but that energy wears off just as quickly as it came. Since grains break down into sugar, they create a rise in insulin levels when those levels fall you crave more grains and, thus, the vicious cycle continues.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal. It's a breakfast "quickie" as I like to all it. Currently in my cupboards is Corn Flakes and Cherrios.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    "bad" is relative to your goals.

For most people, in the simplest terms, "bad" is anything that prevents you from hitting your calorie and macro goals.

That being said, I don't eat breakfast. And no, my metabolism hasn't come to a screeching halt.

no breakfast? what is wrong with you ..breakfast is the most important meal of the day..right? :)
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Yes cereal is bad. Foods rich in carbohydrates give you quick energy, but that energy wears off just as quickly as it came. Since grains break down into sugar, they create a rise in insulin levels when those levels fall you crave more grains and, thus, the vicious cycle continues.
    Strong 1st post of epic wrongness
  • ndj1979
    Options
    The absolute best thing for breakfast. The absolute best thing for ANY diet. Oatmeal. Hands down. A slow burning carb. Nutritionally one of the best things out there. It will fill you up. It provides the energy to keep you going. Low fat, low sugar, high energy. Not the instant. Steel cut, or quick rolled, or other more "natural". They can be microwaved in about the same time as the instant, and much better for you. I use the quick rolled oats. 1/2 cup plus some brown sugar come in under 200 calories and will fill you up for hours and burn for hours after that.

There is a reason why oatmeal is in the diet plan of every competitive body builder and has been for generations. And it is great for your heart too. Cheerios has that right. Oats are great for you. And nothing is better than oatmeal.

dude, do you work for Quaker Oatmeal or some sh$t?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Pork sausage and more pork sausage, sometimes I have pork sausage and turkey sausage. Lately I've been having a pure beef patty (no other ingredients) topped with pork. It's pretty good.

Cereal gives me high bad cholesterol, the beetus, water retention, lethargy and fatigue, fart attacks... I ain't got time for none of that.

eat pork much?