Options

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Angierae75 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Keep in mind that if you're using a flex, and doing something where your hands are full, or you're pushing a cart or whatever, you should take your flex off and shove it in your pocket so that it picks up your steps.

Mine picks up steps no matter what my hands are doing. I have tested it many ways and have seen no difference. The only time it doesn't pick up all of the steps is when I am jogging in the pool. No matter what my arms are doing, I get about 80% of my steps because there isn't enough impact on the bottom of the pool because of the buoyancy of the water.

This whole thing about "your arms have to be moving" is a falsehood.

I'm glad this has been your experience. It has not been mine. I've spent an hour in the grocery store and only a very small % of my steps have been picked up while I was pushing the cart around.

80% of my steps isn't enough accuracy for me. It might be for others.
    It is closer to 100%. I only get 80% in the pool because of the water.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what you want it to do. I am an app geek so fun and connectivity was a definite factor. I was also required to track my steps during my weight loss. I got a FitBit Zip and I love it.

If you want to be a runner and track your pacing, etc., get a polar or a jawbone.

If calorie accuracy is your thing, get one with a heart rate monitor.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I am not sure who can actually get 100% steps counted. This is not an accurate statement.
  • kim678
    kim678 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit Charge HR Saturday and I LOVE it!! It definitely motivates me to get up and move! I just can't stand the thought of not reaching my goals, so I keep going until I reach them!
  • NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    l3504oc4f7r7.jpg

Yes a million times yes! I had a seriously good Fitbit day yesterday. Mine motivates me so much and I would be lost without it. I have a Charge HR x
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    I am not sure who can actually get 100% steps counted. This is not an accurate statement.

I didn't say it was 100%, I said it was closer to 100% than 80%. I have manually counted, used a pedometer, used my phone, etc. and I seem to be averaging about 95% counted unless I am in the pool.

• Angierae75
    Angierae75 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »

I didn't say it was 100%, I said it was closer to 100% than 80%. I have manually counted, used a pedometer, used my phone, etc. and I seem to be averaging about 95% counted unless I am in the pool.

Again, thta's great. That hasn't been mine nor my husband's experience. I've set my phone with the app open in the cart, and walked around, and watched almost no steps get counted.

It's not a big deal. If I'm going to be carrying something, or whatever, I throw it in my pocket. My husband has had problems with holding onto the strap of his computer bag at work, and knows he needs to put it in his pocket when he's walking from the parking lot into the arena while holding onto his bag strap (he's a sportswriter.)

My only point is that if you're having problems with it counting steps when your arm/hand is otherwise engaged, throw it in your pocket.

Is absolutely everyone going to have the same experience as me? No. But they're not going to have the same experience as you. I've learned there are some times when I need to put it in my pocket or else my steps aren't going to get counted at all.
  • MindySaysWhaaat
    MindySaysWhaaat Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I had the Jawbone UP and I didn't like it. I didn't care for the fact that it didn't really connect around the wrist and the open ends kept getting caught on things (clothing, etc). I also type for a living, and I realized that it was counting steps while I was sitting at my desk typing, and that was no good.

I bought the fitbit one a couple weeks ago. So far I like it. It seems fairly accurate and I've only had to charge the battery once. I like that I just have it hooked to my bra so I don't have to worry about it picking up typing as steps. I have it hooked up to my fitness pal, and the only thing that is interesting to me is that it'll adjust and add the calories, but then sometimes near the end of the day some of them disappear randomly.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex and love it. I wish I had gotten it sooner! It made me more aware of my everyday activity levels and helps me better gauge how much to eat each day when it is synced to MFP. The fact that I can eat more when I'm more active is very motivating! When I got the fitbit, I was actually shocked about what steep caloric deficits I was running and the fact that I could increase my calories and still keep losing at a decent pace. That was good news since I was hungry all the time! When I started eating more I was scared I was gain weight because fitbit might be wrong.... it did stall my loss for a few weeks as I adjusted to the increased caloric intake, but then it picked back up and has continued at the rate that fitbit and my food logging would predict. If anything, it slightly underestimates my calorie burn (I lose about 10 pounds when it predicts I should only lose around 9) so I trust it and eat back all the calories unless I'm just not hungry.
  • runmama411
    runmama411 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Fitbit Charge HR for about a month now. I love it. I wear it pretty much 24/7 and went from 4,000 steps a day to over 10,000. It makes me challenge myself to do more and walk more. I used to just use my iPhone step tracking, but it wasn't as fun as tracking with the Fitbit app and the integration to MFP is awesome. I also have friends with Fitbits so we have some friendly competition going on, which pushes me to get those extra steps. I like the HR aspect as well as the sleep tracking.
  • kpkitten
    kpkitten Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that if you're using a flex, and doing something where your hands are full, or you're pushing a cart or whatever, you should take your flex off and shove it in your pocket so that it picks up your steps.

Mine picks up steps no matter what my hands are doing. I have tested it many ways and have seen no difference. The only time it doesn't pick up all of the steps is when I am jogging in the pool. No matter what my arms are doing, I get about 80% of my steps because there isn't enough impact on the bottom of the pool because of the buoyancy of the water.

This whole thing about "your arms have to be moving" is a falsehood.

Mine doesn't pick up if I'm pushing something, but tends to even if I'm carrying quite heavy bags.
    My job basically involves pushing a shopping trolley all day (picking items for delivery) but because some of the steps were picked up, and some of the time I wasn't pushing the trolley but walking with my hands free, I took quite a while to realise it was undercalculating by up to 500 calories!

I tried it out loads at home, and if my hands "wobbled" with each step, most of it would register, but if they stayed really still, it wouldn't register. I think because the trolley I use has quite a high handle compared to ones that customers use, it makes more of a difference. Or just because I noticed the impact when it affected my entire working life, rather than just a quick trip to the shops!
  • TrishaCisneros
    TrishaCisneros Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It really depends.

If you are getting it just to track your steps, and you DON'T have an iPhone, then sure. My phone tracks my steps so I see no need for one. You can also set alerts on your phone for certain times of the day to tell you get up and moving.

If you are thinking for the HR thing, then just get a HRM. I kind of LOVE Polar, and their chest straps are far superior to Fitbits HR technology. I have heart a lot of not too good things about Charge HR being not even close to accurate.

All in all, it's up to you. You will find fans of whatever you are looking for.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    TannerBoyl wrote: »
    For me, the FitBit is more than just the sum of its parts. It awakens the competitive side in me that drives me to complete my goals for the day. It provides a community in which I can measure myself against my peers (or friends). It affords me the opportunity to understand how much I am actually burning through the day and compensate my calories accordingly. I guess it is worth the data that you can derive from it.

This is exactly how I feel about it.

I resisted getting one for months even though my sisters and brother were bugging the crap out of me to join them in their friendly competition to see who could get the most steps. $125 for a FitBit charge? No way!!! Somewhere I have a couple of pedometers that I got free and I never used them. Why pay for one? In my estimation, it was worth about $30.

Then my sister mentioned that she's lost 40 pounds in the year that she's had her...hmmm...maybe I should try it out? After all, heart disease does run in our family and this is something I could do to help fight that.

Then I saw them for sale at Costco. Costco has a fantastic return policy. I could basically test drive it for 90 days and return it if I decided it was overpriced, so I bought one.

In two days I knew I was going to keep it. When I discovered all the app and the website could do, then discovered MFP and what it could contribute to the effort, I was sold. I've only been using one for 18 days but already I have much more energy and have lost 7 pounds of my 38 pound goal. I love walking and hiking and my lab, Kody, is also reaping the benefits as he is getting much more exercise.

It offers ease of use, an abundance of data to look over (I'm a 'numbers' guy), a healthy competitive element with my siblings, it makes it easy to see and be rewarded for the extra activity I do (steps = calories I can eat!) and it's made me quite aware of my past lack of activity.

I can't see me ever NOT having one.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just to double check. The fitbit zip definitely syncs with mfp, right?
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure it does. You might go to Community and then fitbit users on the side and look for one that talks about the Zip. I've only had my fitbit one for about 2 months but I love it.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Yes my Zip syncs with the FitBit site which in turn syncs here.
  • SamberryC
    SamberryC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    What's your 1 favourite thing about your FitBit then?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    yagni-you-ain-t-gonna-need-it.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I have a Jawbone up24 and yes, it was worth it!
  • jgnatca
    Options
    It painlessly tracks and logs my steps; objective measure of my progress.