vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    vfit10 wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Calories in and out determine weight gain/loss and macros determine if its muscle or fat.

Calories in/out is correct, but macros do not determine whether one has muscle or fat.

However, in order for one to maintain or build muscle while weight lifting, it's important to get enough protein.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't meant to confuse anyone :)
    Im just trying to simplified things up so everyone that is currently working or just started to work on their journey won't over think stuff.

1.Only calories in and calories out determine weight change, nothing else.

2.Macro ratios (P/C/F) determine if the weight change is due to fat or muscle.

So you do mean to still give wrong information on your second attempt LOL. You are still wrong OP.
    Alright give it a try ... I'm listening :)

Appropriate calorie deficit is for weight loss.
    Macros are for performance, hormones, growth and organ/tissue repair and function.
    Micros are for health.
    Lifting (not balls to the wall) is for lean mass retention.
    Cardio is for heart and lung health.
    Damm right I agree 100% with you maybe the word (determine) isn't the best... Here is an example ...If someone is on a severely calorie restricted diet with macros of 0/50/50 , then that person will lose a LOT of muscle. Now if change example 40/40/20 (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat)that person will reduce muscular loss. And let's be honest the goals of losing weight is to get rid of fat as well improving overall health.

But that person still has to be doing some form of resistance/strength training to preserve that muscle, right? Take me for example, I'm getting adequate protein, but skimping on the strength stuff with my exercise, so probably not retaining as much lean mass as I'd ideally like to (and yes, I really need to get onto that!).
    Yep.. Mean why are we here
    Calories in and out determine weight gain/loss and macros determine if its muscle or fat.

Calories in/out is correct, but macros do not determine whether one has muscle or fat.

However, in order for one to maintain or build muscle while weight lifting, it's important to get enough protein.
    Im just trying to simplified things up so everyone that is currently working or just started to work on their journey won't over think stuff.

So you do mean to still give wrong information on your second attempt LOL. You are still wrong OP.

Macros are for performance, hormones, growth and organ/tissue repair and function.
    Micros are for health.
    Damm right I agree 100% with you maybe the word (determine) isn't the best... Here is an example ...If someone is on a severely calorie restricted diet with macros of 0/50/50 , then that person will lose a LOT of muscle. Now if change example 40/40/20 (40% protein, 40% carbs, 20% fat)that person will reduce muscular loss. And let's be honest the goals of losing weight is to get rid of fat as well improving overall health.

But that person still has to be doing some form of resistance/strength training to preserve that muscle, right? Take me for example, I'm getting adequate protein, but skimping on the strength stuff with my exercise, so probably not retaining as much lean mass as I'd ideally like to (and yes, I really need to get onto that!).

Yep.

So do you see yet how your earlier statements were completely oversimplifying it? Not everyone here exercises, and not everyone who does strength trains. Your statements suggest that all you have to do to retain muscle is eat enough protein.
    Next time I will make sure to go more in depth . :)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Micros are for health.

Micros are for health.

Yep.

So do you see yet how your earlier statements were completely oversimplifying it? Not everyone here exercises, and not everyone who does strength trains. Your statements suggest that all you have to do to retain muscle is eat enough protein.
    Next time I will make sure to go more in depth . :)

Which is what we asked you to do right from the get go.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I just can't bear this thread.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    I just gave you a spam post, ceoverturf.

tumblr_msp755fYCQ1s967p6o1_500.gif

Thank you for that image.

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

It's pretty grizzly in here.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not immediately stored as fat. Carbs are first broken down into glucose, whatever glucose isn't needed by the cells is stored as glycogen. If your glycogen stores are full the body converts the sugars and stores them as triglycerides (fat). This balance of glucose, glycogen and fat is the reason that we say it is irrelevant whether we are burning fat at any given moment. Our body will keep an appropriate balance of glycogen and refill it from incoming carbs or stored triglycerides.

Hey! I thought I demonstrated that! :o And a lot more simply, too. ;) . Glucose is a carb, too.

Would it help if I added a glycogen storage unit to the diagram, and a decision point (glycogen stores full)?
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

It's pretty grizzly in here.

You. I like you.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

Micros are for health.

Micros are for health.

Yep.

Well stated.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »

Micros are for health.

Micros are for health.

Yep.

Well stated.

:D (feeling proud, cos as I said, this is an area I'm a bit behind in. Glad I know what I should be doing, even if I haven't quite gotten there with doing it yet!).

Now, just to hijack this thread a bit more for my own selfish purposes, how much of this strength/resistance stuff do I need to be doing? I know it probably varies for everyone and depends on goals. I also know I'm not going to build new muscle while I'm in a deficit, so I'm talking to retain what I have as best as possible and hopefully strengthen it a bit. Currently my exercise consists of yoga (which I've been slacking on, but does include some body weight stuff, right?) and walking (by which I do not mean a gentle stroll, it involves some mighty big hills, but that just counts as cardio, right?). I'll be doing it at home (just can't justify the cost of a gym membership atm), so probably looking mostly at body weight stuff.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well, my goal is full body workout 2-3 times per week. I do the nerdfitness beginners body weight workout, although I'm going to have to figure out some alternatives with a sprained ankle. Anyways, it's a good place to start, and you get a good workout in about 20 minutes.
  • Nony_Mouse
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well, my goal is full body workout 2-3 times per week. I do the nerdfitness beginners body weight workout, although I'm going to have to figure out some alternatives with a sprained ankle. Anyways, it's a good place to start, and you get a good workout in about 20 minutes.

Thank you <3. Nerd fitness sounds perfect for me ;), I shall check that out. Right now I'm gonna go climb a really big hill and see if I can do it faster than last time!
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

Micros are for health.

Is that a guarantee regardless of workout regimen?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCgRtka5KqUC7qxa8ZzZlsGEOZ4eaiqAIFPVje5Yk_Fwrrq4sR4g

Bro, DYE5 0/50/50 Diet?

We need @tincanonastring to come up with the Peeps version of this.

Oh, that's easy! I cover macro splits in my upcoming book The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): Maintaining Proper Body Composition Through Peep Color Management - The 50/50/50 Cleanse - Taste 150% Of The Rainbow.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Micros are for health.

Bro, DYE5 0/50/50 Diet?

Oh, that's easy! I cover macro splits in my upcoming book The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): Maintaining Proper Body Composition Through Peep Color Management - The 50/50/50 Cleanse - Taste 150% Of The Rainbow.

With all these books coming out, will there be a boxed set available?

ETA: Or possibly a Peep of the Month Club?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Carbs are not immediately stored as fat. Carbs are first broken down into glucose, whatever glucose isn't needed by the cells is stored as glycogen. If your glycogen stores are full the body converts the sugars and stores them as triglycerides (fat). This balance of glucose, glycogen and fat is the reason that we say it is irrelevant whether we are burning fat at any given moment. Our body will keep an appropriate balance of glycogen and refill it from incoming carbs or stored triglycerides.

Hey! I thought I demonstrated that! :o And a lot more simply, too. ;) . Glucose is a carb, too.

Would it help if I added a glycogen storage unit to the diagram, and a decision point (glycogen stores full)?

Your diagram was far too simplified. The needed now part. Even if it isn't needed at that moment, it doesn't mean that glycogen stores are full (which technically is a storage, not used). The body also doesn't automatically use protein for energy if it is in deficit, it's only used when your body needs free amino acids and you haven't provided sufficient access through diet.

This is closer to how it works (it does miss the storage of excess glycogen as triglycerides, but that would be an offshoot of the glycogen storage in liver and muscles):
    2502_Catabolic_Reactions.jpg
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options

Your diagram was far too simplified. The needed now part. Even if it isn't needed at that moment, it doesn't mean that glycogen stores are full (which technically is a storage, not used). The body also doesn't automatically use protein for energy if it is in deficit, it's only used when your body needs free amino acids and you haven't provided sufficient access through diet.

This is closer to how it works (it does miss the storage of excess glycogen as triglycerides, but that would be an offshoot of the glycogen storage in liver and muscles):

nerd
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

nerd

:#
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

nerd

:#

I <3 nerds!!!! That is an awesome depiction.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Micros are for health.

Bro, DYE5 0/50/50 Diet?

132883590220.jpg

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    This thread delivered.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I cover macro splits in my upcoming book The 10 Day Master Peep Cleanse(TM): Maintaining Proper Body Composition Through Peep Color Management - The 50/50/50 Cleanse - Taste 150% Of The Rainbow.

The Skittle Peeps Rainbow Cleanse. It's my mostest fav. Dr. Oz got nuthin' on you, tincan!

I also love your theme song - sing it with me:

That's where you'll find it
    The Rainbow Connection
    The Skittles the Peepers and me.

<3