Clean Eating

Options
1235»

Replies

• Jadeh907
    Jadeh907 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I eat clean . I eat nothing processed, no wheat of any kind, nothing genetically modified (non-gmo) I mostly eat organic non-gmo vegetables and free range non gmo fed meats, some fruits, nuts and a little diary from non gmo fed cows. There are great documentarys on the subject like OMG GMO, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, and Hungry for Change to name just a few. It's honestly the best change I have ever made. I have been eating clean for over a year.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Me also, LA Woman.

That's why my old bagel breakfast was a bad idea and home baked bread would have been just as crummy. (Oh, I am such a wit!)

Also why I find the idea of a smoothie breakfast not for me, along with not finding calories I drink satiating, and why oatmeal plus fruit does not work unless I add protein powder and some kind of fat.

Higher fiber isn't enough to make it work for me for a meal if the carbs aren't paired with fat and protein. Fruit or veggies work fine as a snack.

This. I don't snack though because that leaves me hungry, but I will eat smaller portions of food throughout the evening since I eat more of my calories at night.

My carbs yesterday for lunch were 119g, 17g of fiber. Only 14g fat and 42g protein. I was starving in 3ish hours.

Smoothies do work for me though, but I also generally add protein powder and peanut butter, sometimes coconut oil. And greek yogurt.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Washing your vegetables is sensible

But don't wash raw meat

Actually, I was always taught to rinse with fresh water certain raw meat (like whole chicken breasts). That could just have been something my family made up though lol.

A food program on the radio actually said that this was unnecessary and even harmful. Basically, you are contaminating your sink, faucet, etc. If you're washing your meat, then you need to treat your entire sink, faucets, et al. with bleach solution immediately afterward. If you're like my body builder, protein-inhaling son, you would be bleaching your surfaces 3-4 times a day. Just put the meat or chicken in the oven or pan and make sure to cook it to at least 160, and that will kill the bacteria. Plain Water is not going to wash off salmonella; only cooking will.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Jadeh907 wrote: »
    I eat clean . I eat nothing processed, no wheat of any kind, nothing genetically modified (non-gmo) I mostly eat organic non-gmo vegetables and free range non gmo fed meats, some fruits, nuts and a little diary from non gmo fed cows. There are great documentarys on the subject like OMG GMO, Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, and Hungry for Change to name just a few. It's honestly the best change I have ever made. I have been eating clean for over a year.

So you're eating fruits and vegetables that are over 10k years old?

GMO_History_v1_0.png
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

GMO_History_v1_0.png

Most of that is not what is commonly meant by GMO.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Also for kicks:

"Most people who are concerned about modern biotechnology have little or no knowledge of the processes that have been used to transform crops in the past. Nor are they likely aware that crops have been continually altered over time or that, without human care, they would cease to exist"
    plantphysiol.org/content/126/1/8

a not-so-great link: dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1394938/Cavemen-grew-GM-modified-rice-10-000-years-ago.html

"Man has been “genetically modifying” food crops through selective breeding since we moved from hunting and gathering to agriculture over 10,000 years ago"
    knowgenetics.org/introduction-to-genetically-modified-organisms-gmos/

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options

But don't wash raw meat

Actually, I was always taught to rinse with fresh water certain raw meat (like whole chicken breasts). That could just have been something my family made up though lol.

Yeah they used to advise it ...now they say it just spreads bacteria so don't do it

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food

Not sure if I could "not wash" my meat. I'll have to think about this...
  • ana3067
    edited April 2015
    Options

GMO_History_v1_0.png

Most of that is not what is commonly meant by GMO.

Oh, well then!
    :

"Most people who are concerned about modern biotechnology have little or no knowledge of the processes that have been used to transform crops in the past. Nor are they likely aware that crops have been continually altered over time or that, without human care, they would cease to exist"

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Also for kicks:

a not-so-great link: dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1394938/Cavemen-grew-GM-modified-rice-10-000-years-ago.html

"Man has been “genetically modifying” food crops through selective breeding since we moved from hunting and gathering to agriculture over 10,000 years ago"
    knowgenetics.org/introduction-to-genetically-modified-organisms-gmos/

1. What are genetically modified (GM) organisms and GM foods?

Genetically modified organisms (GMOs) can be defined as organisms (i.e. plants, animals or microorganisms) in which the genetic material (DNA) has been altered in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination. The technology is often called “modern biotechnology” or “gene technology”, sometimes also “recombinant DNA technology” or “genetic engineering”. It allows selected individual genes to be transferred from one organism into another, also between nonrelated species. Foods produced from or using GM organisms are often referred to as GM foods.

http://www.who.int/foodsafety/areas_work/food-technology/faq-genetically-modified-food/en/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Me also, LA Woman.

That's why my old bagel breakfast was a bad idea and home baked bread would have been just as crummy. (Oh, I am such a wit!)

Also why I find the idea of a smoothie breakfast not for me, along with not finding calories I drink satiating, and why oatmeal plus fruit does not work unless I add protein powder and some kind of fat.

Higher fiber isn't enough to make it work for me for a meal if the carbs aren't paired with fat and protein. Fruit or veggies work fine as a snack.

We were definitely separated at birth and by the way, I love your kitty. I NEED to kiss that cat on the nose. Whether he wants same or not. Hey, I'm bigger than you, you WILL let me kiss you...At least that's what I always tell my cat. What's he gonna say about it? I mean I bring the food.

He'll accept kisses. He's super snuggly in the right mood. (And he thanks you!)
  • ana3067
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Me also, LA Woman.

We were definitely separated at birth and by the way, I love your kitty. I NEED to kiss that cat on the nose. Whether he wants same or not. Hey, I'm bigger than you, you WILL let me kiss you...At least that's what I always tell my cat. What's he gonna say about it? I mean I bring the food.

He'll accept kisses. He's super snuggly in the right mood. (And he thanks you!)

10426228_10153076804211427_8729820102306002402_n.jpg?oh=32bfce069106b8541ddf03f7d2f88583&oe=55BBEB3A
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

But don't wash raw meat

Yeah they used to advise it ...now they say it just spreads bacteria so don't do it

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/washing-food-does-it-promote-food-safety/washing-food

Since I found out about the sink spray, I use a big bowl of water and sort of dunk it and rinse when I cook it for my husband. I can't not wash it. It's too slimy feeling.

• farfromthetree
    Options

But don't wash raw meat

Since I found out about the sink spray, I use a big bowl of water and sort of dunk it and rinse when I cook it for my husband. I can't not wash it. It's too slimy feeling.

That's a great idea! DUH!! I'll be dunking it from now on.
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options

But don't wash raw meat

I had no idea! I always wash off all my meats. Thanks for sharing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

But don't wash raw meat

I always wash my chicken. After plucking it just seems like they need it.
  • farfromthetree
    Options

But don't wash raw meat

I always wash my chicken. After plucking it just seems like they need it.

Haha! I did not need to have that image in my head:/
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    So I go back and forth on the washing of chicken thing. On the one hand, I do think cross contamination of cooking surfaces when washing is a problem (and not taking the step to wash and sanitize is a bonus) but on the other hand there are stories like this: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/wp/2014/09/11/fecal-matter-mold-and-more-found-on-foster-farms-chickens/