Tips for eating out?

Options
I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Umm...Do not think about this. There is so much going on here.
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eat before you go....and then order salad with no dressing...and water :)
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Should I pack my own ranch or would that be weird? I don't trust restaurant ranch. It is usually loaded with sugar.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If you have been doing well on your weight loss then you can have 1 cheat meal.

Side note: When I was in the dating scene, I went on a first date and I asked the waiter a million questions about all their food and ended up with a house salad and oil and vinegar. The guy and I started dating and later he straight up told me that it was really annoying how I was acting on the first date with all the requests with my food and almost didn't ask me on a second date because of it. But he ended up being a *kitten* so that would have been a blessing.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Yeah this is like a really good christian guy with a career in the military. I don't want to mess this up.
  • arditarose
    Options
    NO you should not pack your own ranch. I don't understand all this sugar stuff either. A calorie is a calorie. If you're that worried about staying in your deficit order a side salad and salmon. Or lighten up the rest of your day.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I would go for a good workout in the morning, maybe a zumba class, or an hour on an exercise bike, to buy myself 400-500 calories (approximate!!) to play with. Then I would just order something normal so I didn't come off strange, but that would work for my diet. Like if they have salmon, and get it with veggies on the side & whatever they serve with it, and then just eat what you want. I'd also split a dessert with him if the date was going well :) (No, that wasn't innuendo, I'd really share a dessert o:) )
  • mz_getskinny
    mz_getskinny Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Do you not ever eat at restaurants? It's just a meal. I think you are way over stressing. If you have this much anxiety about eating at a restaurant, you may want to request a different location for your date.
  • CorinnaShaw
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Calories aren't calories. If that were the case then a candy bar would be healthier than a banana. There is so much more to take into account. I am not only trying to keep a caloric deficit but also keep myself in ketosis by eating a diet low in carbs/sugar and high in healthy fats/protein.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I don't have the patience for this. Have fun on your date. My advice is to definitely not bring your own salad dressing.
  • Vorenus85
    Vorenus85 Posts: 109 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Calories aren't calories. If that were the case then a candy bar would be healthier than a banana. There is so much more to take into account. I am not only trying to keep a caloric deficit but also keep myself in ketosis by eating a diet low in carbs/sugar and high in healthy fats/protein.

Naturally, you are free to eat whatever way you like, but a calorie is a calorie, that's fact. Do you think everyone on here is eating spinach for every meal to lose weight? No, most people eat whatever they want, while staying under a deficit, which is really the only thing that matters.

• CorinnaShaw
    Options
    So, I could lose weight and be perfectly healthy eating candy bars all day long?
  • arditarose
    Options
    So, I could lose weight and be perfectly healthy eating candy bars all day long?

Who said eating candy bars all day long?! You can lose weight, be perfectly healthy, and still eat chocolate. Yes.

I eat a piece of dark chocolate daily.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Just order steak, chicken or fish and ask that they grill it with no butter or oil. Then order some kind of steamed vegetable as almost all restaurants have this available. Most places also have a salad with grilled chicken. Ask for salsa or oil and vinegar for the dressing. The salsa will likely be fresh-so no added sugar. And oil and vinegar is pretty self explanatory. Or ask for lemon and squeeze it on with a little salt.

I went through a phase of "clean eating" and was very obsessive about it. I found most places will be accommodating and you can be less annoying by just keeping it simple.

That being said-yes, a banana is healthier than a chocolate bar. But know what's less healthy than a candy bar? Obsessing over a gram of sugar in salad dressing. It's just food.

Your obsession is going to escalate or end in a full on binge. I've been there-as have many people on these forums. I highly suggest getting yourself educated in food and nutrition from reputable sources (not Google). Sugar is not the enemy of a healthy diet
  • CorinnaShaw
    edited March 2015
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Who said eating candy bars all day long?! You can lose weight, be perfectly healthy, and still eat chocolate. Yes.

What I am gathering from the "a calorie is a calorie" thing though is o can go to McDonald's and order a large meal (which will run around 1,000 calories depending on the meal) then go to the 99 cent store and spend the rest of my calorie allowance eating a ton of candy so long as each serving is low in calories (which all non-chocolate or vanilla candies are) and still lose weight because I stayed under my caloric deficit.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

What I am gathering from the "a calorie is a calorie" thing though is o can go to McDonald's and order a large meal (which will run around 1,000 calories depending on the meal) then go to the 99 cent store and spend the rest of my calorie allowance eating a ton of candy so long as each serving is low in calories (which all non-chocolate or vanilla candies are) and still lose weight because I stayed under my caloric deficit.

This is correct.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yup. You'd probably feel like crap and I don't think anyone does this exactly. But for weight loss-a calorie is a calorie
  • CorinnaShaw
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If there is steak, I am definitely ordering that. I am not worried about butter. I just don't want them using canola or vegetable oils since those turn into trans fats when cooked at temperatures over 300F. Oh well. I will just get the plate with no starches on it and try not to eat anything else for the day. I almost never eat out so this is a tricky situation for me.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in being less than calories out. I eat anything i want as long as i stay in a deficit most of the time, I've lost 45 lbs so far.

Having said that, i also ate 1000 calories of Chinese food for lunch today with my kid because he wanted Chinese and we rarely get alone time. Why stress over one meal? If i don't continue eating like that every day for the next month, I'll still lose weight. In fact, i ate under maintenance today anyway even with that meal and being 150 calories over my goal.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Well considering I have lost massive weight eating close to 2000 calories a day when I was low carbing versus the near non existent weight loss I get from calorie counting, I am going to have to disagree with you. There was even a blog about this on my fitness pal that I read last night that said a calorie is not a calorie. Either way, that is not the point. I did not start his thread to debate calorie intake as that is not my concern. I asked for tips on how to go about avoiding certain ingredients that are usually snuck into most restaurant meals because I am trying to eat clean. I don't think there is such a thing as being healthy on a SAD diet regardless of how many calories you deprive yourself of.