Tips for eating out?

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Burt_Huttz wrote: »
    Yeah this is like a really good christian guy with a career in the military. I don't want to mess this up.

Then don't be a fussy weirdo. eat a little less earlier that week and later that week. Spend another 15 minutes doing your exercise of choice.

Don't bring your own dressing or order crazy stuff or make weird demands, he'll think you're a pain in the *kitten*. Which you sort of are if you're asking the waitstaff to have the chef make you salad dressing to order.

Agreed!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I really don't know where to start with this one.

OP you are way overthinking things and really need to do some more research if you believe that eating low carb means calories don't matter. You also need to read and understand what people are saying. Yes you can eat at McDonalds and then eat candy all day and as long as you are in a calorie deficit then you will lose weight. Nowhere did anyone, on the MFP blog or in these forums, suggest that someone should actually do that. Moderation is not the same as totality.

I also would not recommend lying about, or generally being a PITA about ordering food in a restaurant. That's a sure fire way to piss off some harried server and end up with something undesirable in your food... Like more undesirable than some hidden margarine if you know what I mean.

Lastly, do you really want to come across this high maintenance on a first date? I agree with others that you don't want to be dishonest, but if you are this high maintenance about eating out, what other areas do you obsess about that may also be red flags for a new relationship.

But please, come back and let us know how it goes, what you order, and if you got any dessert, if you know what I mean!
  • curlylocks302
    curlylocks302 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am dying to know how this date went.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You CAN eat nothing but chocolate (or pizza, or donuts) and lose weight, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit.

No one said you SHOULD do this. No one said it was healthy to do this. I have only ever seen people advocate working these foods into their diet, not making them their entire diet.

"Can" is not the same as "should". "Sometimes" is not the same as "all the time".

This basic concept is lost on so many people, it makes me weep.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    You CAN eat nothing but chocolate (or pizza, or donuts) and lose weight, as long as you are eating at a calorie deficit.

No one said you SHOULD do this. No one said it was healthy to do this. I have only ever seen people advocate working these foods into their diet, not making them their entire diet.

"Can" is not the same as "should". "Sometimes" is not the same as "all the time".

This basic concept is lost on so many people, it makes me weep.

Cosign
  • CorinnaShaw
    CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    OP you are a type 1 diabetic and you are going to try to eat nothing until dinner time ???.

Are you newly diagnosed?
    Have you seen a diabetic educator?

Because this is a very very bad idea - how to get a hypo before your date.

Diabetics on insulin must have regular meals.

No we don't. I have been diabetic for 10 years and my BG is actually best managed when I skip breakfast all together and I find that intermitent fasting is also a great way to control it. The whole notion of small meals throughout he day bein better for you is a myth.

On a side note; date went super well. We were together for 12 hours and talked about everything under the sun. We spent half the day hiking so I did cave and get a gourmet burger with garlic fries, but it was the only thing I ate all day and my BG stayed regulated all day. We are going on a second date tomorrow for lunch. No hiking that day (it will be right before church) so I will have to make sure I make a better meal choice.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Good for you!
  • mynameisoliverqueen
    mynameisoliverqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Just inform them that you are allergic to certain products & ask them to substitute where it would be possible. I am sure they would make an exception for you especially as they could end up on a law suit if they didn't.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    Just inform them that you are allergic to certain products & ask them to substitute where it would be possible. I am sure they would make an exception for you especially as they could end up on a law suit if they didn't.

But she is not allergic to certain products - lying about this is just silly.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    OP you are a type 1 diabetic and you are going to try to eat nothing until dinner time ???.

Are you newly diagnosed?

No we don't. I have been diabetic for 10 years and my BG is actually best managed when I skip breakfast all together and I find that intermitent fasting is also a great way to control it. The whole notion of small meals throughout he day bein better for you is a myth.

On a side note; date went super well. We were together for 12 hours and talked about everything under the sun. We spent half the day hiking so I did cave and get a gourmet burger with garlic fries, but it was the only thing I ate all day and my BG stayed regulated all day. We are going on a second date tomorrow for lunch. No hiking that day (it will be right before church) so I will have to make sure I make a better meal choice.

I didn't say small meals throughout the day,I said regular meals.
    Eating one meal a day is not a good idea at all for diabetics on insulin.

Anyway after all that angst about insy bits of sugar in salad dressings, you manage to have a burger and fries - that's quite a turn around in thinking!!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Eating out doesn't have to be stressful. If you are concerned, just opt for steamed items.. Substitute refined products like white bread, rice for brown or rye.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

And if she winds up being in a relationship with the guy, she just maintains the lie for the duration of the relationship?
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Note to any new diabetics reading this thread, pay no attention to the food choices above. Blood sugar control and food choices is an hourly affair; not every other day.

I once paid vigil online with a type 1 diabetic who could not get her blood sugars up at bedtime. I helped her stay awake until they stabilized. I understand my online friend's vigilance and her desire to live to morning.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options

Congrats on the great date. I hope many more come your way.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I think I have a picture now. You're type 1 diabetic, you ate only once yesterday, and from your post yesterday... "I am not only trying to keep a caloric deficit but also keep myself in ketosis..." Do you also restrict your insulin intake?

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/skipping-insulin-diabetics-find-dangerous-drop-pounds/story?id=18687005

http://www.wearediabetes.org/diabulimia.php

If that's what you're doing, that's frekkin dangerous. You need help.

• pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    OP: that type of diabetic purging will kill you.

Oh, and on your date, just try and hide yo' crazy and have fun.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options

Are you newly diagnosed?

I didn't say small meals throughout the day,I said regular meals.
    Eating one meal a day is not a good idea at all for diabetics on insulin.

Anyway after all that angst about insy bits of sugar in salad dressings, you manage to have a burger and fries - that's quite a turn around in thinking!!

Actually that's a turnaround in everyone else's thinking who were blasting her.
  • JoAnnRyan123
    JoAnnRyan123 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Glad your date went well :)
  • piggysmalls333
    piggysmalls333 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go....and then order salad with no dressing...and water :)

Best idea!