Tips for eating out?

Options

Replies

• lecoman
    lecoman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just go out and enjoy yourself. You are not going to blow up from a meal even if you eat unclean things. As Neil Diamond sang,"Just go with the feelin' it usually works" Besides we all must eat a peck of dirt. (or gold, according to Robert Frost)
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?

Sorry for the late reply! Whenever I go out to eat dinner I just choose the best option and log 1000kcal. I'll log it in the morning and eat around it, that way I can afford a decent meal that's not-a-salad and maybe even a little dessert.

I tend towards fish, I woulnt eat the bread given at the beginning, keep non water drinks to the minimum and enjoy yourself!
  • crazyjerseygirl
    crazyjerseygirl Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    P.s. If you are going to a chain restaurant they might post their calories online, if you know where you are going check!
  • lisaw19855
    lisaw19855 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    A tip, most guys, even those big into fitness get pretty pissed off with women who go out just to eat a salad or stress over the calories.

I had dinner with a man last weekend, he has lost weight in the past and is big into his fitness. He openly expressed that while he understands what it is like while losing weight he also understands how obsessive people can get over it and that having a night off won't kill anyone. He would rather see a woman eat than pick at a salad.

He asked me not to check calories on MFP and to just enjoy myself. I had cheese burger and fries in Frankie and Bennys, logged it all the day after and was under my maintenance calories.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I usually order very similarly to how my sister does when we go out - she is a lactose in tolerant vegetarian so hers is for a reason. I usually just say I would like my meat 'dry' and order a steak and eat until I'm full and get a side of steamed veggies. You sadly can't control what they do to your meal in the kitchen but I've found that if you are nice to the waiter and don't pester them, they are happy to accommodate your food preferences.

Good luck, and just peruse the menu when you get there and have an option or two when the waiter comes out. You do have dietary concerns being a diabetic so that's something your date should know, but that doesn't mean you have to ask 1000 questions just to avoid an extra 100 calories since for a first date that can be overwhelming for a guy.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I suggest you get all your obsessing out of the way before the date, pre plan what you will order, and then relax! Especially if you want a second date.

Keep in mind the goal; a handsome, Christian guy in the military who potentially has the eye for you. Don't weird out if he wants to share a slice of pie with you.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jgnatca/view/fourteen-restaurant-meal-tips-736082
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I think you should go on your date and just be yourself. If that includes weirding out over your food, do it.

Both parties should be honest about themselves up front, because they'll find out eventually. Better sooner than later.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is like a really good christian guy with a career in the military. I don't want to mess this up.

Then don't be a fussy weirdo. eat a little less earlier that week and later that week. Spend another 15 minutes doing your exercise of choice.

Don't bring your own dressing or order crazy stuff or make weird demands, he'll think you're a pain in the *kitten*. Which you sort of are if you're asking the waitstaff to have the chef make you salad dressing to order.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Choose something like chicken/fish/steak and veggies, or if you get a salad ask for the dressing on the side and just have a little bit.

Or have a good workout in the day and just enjoy your meal out. It's not like you're eating out every day so just enjoy your date.
  • D_squareG
    D_squareG Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    If you like this guy, then focus on him and not your food. I think I'm too late to respond to this, but I hope your date went well and that you had a great time.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have a date tomorrow and he is taking me out to eat. I don't know where we are going but restaurants tend to cook things in unhealthy vegetables oils or put sugar in everything. I plan on getting whatever dish has the most meat and veggies, but how do I keep them from sneaking sugar or unhealthy fats into stuff? Do I lie and say I have allergies? If I tell them I am type 1 diabetic, will they cater to my requests? Is it something I should not even think about on a first date as it may come across as weird and obsessive? Can I make requests for them to use butter or olive oil instead of vegetable oil or canola oil? How do I avoid ingredients I don't want?
    Good luck with this. I am a type 1 diabetic, and restaurants rarely give a second thought to making sure that they are giving me what I took insulin for. There are a few restaurant chains that I avoid because of the stuff some managers tell me about nutrition (one manager at Don Pablos told me that a Calorie is equal to one gram of carbohydrate, so if a serving of cheese enchiladas is 200 Calories, then I need to take insulin for 200g of carbs. Hahaha, that big of an insulin overdose would kill me) or the simple fact that that chain refuses to post nutrition information.

This might be because I'm tending to a super high blood sugar and trying to frantically figure out whether it is a pump issue or not (when, if it is a pump issue, I could experience potential ketoacidosis if I do not catch it within the next few hours), but the bolded statement is really rubbing me in the wrong way (Edit: I apologize, I did not see you are also a T1 diabetic). Yes, I am irritable, but it will not kill you if your meal somehow has canola oil or sugar in it. Something like that is not life or death. If anything, you just need to make sure to prelog as much as you can, exercise a bit more the day of, or cut back a bit on the other meals you consume to make sure that you still are in a deficit despite any surprises that might be in the meal

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    I think you should go on your date and just be yourself. If that includes weirding out over your food, do it.

Both parties should be honest about themselves up front, because they'll find out eventually. Better sooner than later.

^^This!!

When I first started dating my husband, I was very clear... "You be you. I'll be me. No best behavior or pretending to be someone you're not. If it works out, great! If not, neither of us are any worse off." It worked beautifully and he's absolutely perfect for me.

Seriously, if you're going to stress out about salad dressing and whatever in 6 months... by all means do it on the first date. If going out and having a nice meal at a restaurant is going to stress you out now (and in 6 months or whenever you are done hiding it), let him know.

If it's bad enough he's going to bail on the first date, he's going to bail in 6 months. I would rather be in an honest relationship. He also deserves to know if you have some issues that he can't handle just like you deserve to know if he has some issues you can't handle.

I hope that you have fun. I hope he's a great match for you, but if not, no loss. You are no worse off.

To answer the original question: You can't go wrong with grilled steak, chicken or fish/ steamed or grilled veggies. Sauce on the side.

Good luck!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If there is steak, I am definitely ordering that. I am not worried about butter. I just don't want them using canola or vegetable oils since those turn into trans fats when cooked at temperatures over 300F. Oh well. I will just get the plate with no starches on it and try not to eat anything else for the day. I almost never eat out so this is a tricky situation for me.
    This should be a really, really fun date.

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,024 Member
    Options
    OP you are a type 1 diabetic and you are going to try to eat nothing until dinner time ???.

Are you newly diagnosed?
    Have you seen a diabetic educator?

Because this is a very very bad idea - how to get a hypo before your date.

Diabetics on insulin must have regular meals.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    What if you chose the restaraunt? Or have a few choices in mind and you could ask him what he prefers? That's what I would do, and/or eat something at home and then have a salad or a small portion of whatever at dinner.

This is a big concern I have about dating again. That's how I gained a bunch of weight in the first place, so I'm hoping my dates will be centered around activities like hiking/biking/bowling... Not food, food, food. Good luck on your date!
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    This is so funny!
    Hope you are looking forward to your date. So much angst.
    Why are you considering lying?
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    So, I could lose weight and be perfectly healthy eating candy bars all day long?

Who said eating candy bars all day long?! You can lose weight, be perfectly healthy, and still eat chocolate. Yes.

I eat a piece of dark chocolate daily.

What I am gathering from the "a calorie is a calorie" thing though is o can go to McDonald's and order a large meal (which will run around 1,000 calories depending on the meal) then go to the 99 cent store and spend the rest of my calorie allowance eating a ton of candy so long as each serving is low in calories (which all non-chocolate or vanilla candies are) and still lose weight because I stayed under my caloric deficit.

What you keep posting is nothing more than reductio ad absurdum.

From an energy, and weight loss, perspective ... a calorie is a calorie. One will lose or gain weight based on caloric deficit or surplus no matter the source. The blog from the dietitian discusses macronutrients ... another component of food all together.