"Cheese is not meant for human consumption"

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    You won't find any studies on whether cheese is meant for human consumption. Humans make cheese specifically so they can consume it.
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Nothing is "meant" for human consumption or not unless you want to get into theological arguments.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    She is probably referring to the fact that cows produce milk to feed their babies, like all mammals. Not so adult humans can make the baby into veal and then suck at mama cow's teats....

What?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or actually confused. Assuming the latter, let me spell it out: Cheese is made from the milk of a cow (or goat). Cows don't make milk for humans, not willingly anyway. They produce it for their babies. The dairy industry operates by taking away the baby to slaughter or other uses and taking the milk for us humans.

Milk (and yogurt, cheese, other things we make from milk) is meant for baby cows. Not adult humans.

Except that the vast majority of baby cows are fed by humans after a short time on the teat and are allowed to grow up to provide meat or more baby cows.

Human babies stop eating milk from their own species in childhood, just like all mammals. Humans also have the brains to figure out how to harvest and store food in a way that feeds themselves, and also does not harm the source of the food. Cheese is nothing more than a product of this harvesting and preparing it for longer term storage. Does not harm the cow.

• earlnabby
    Options
    How can anyone not eat cheese? Ridiculous! Ludicrous! I am from Wisconsin though.

Go Badgers!!!!

(also a 'Sconnie and granddaughter of a diary farmer)

• earlnabby
    Options
    turbosad wrote: »
    Cheese is meant to go with wine. :)

Except Limberger and brick. Those are meant to go with a nice nutty ale.

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Aside from a very occasional slice of pizza where the smell and taste of the cheese is disguised by the pork toppings and the tomato sauce.

MMmmm pork! However, pork needs to stay off my pizza because it's grease overpowers the lovely flavor of cheeeeeeeeeese (and makes the thin bottom soggy)! The only time pork is welcome on my pizza is when it's a nice homemade slice of fresh mozzarella pizza topped with prosciutto, arugula, drizzle of EVOO and aged balsamic.

Cheese. Give me all of the cheese!
    cOKP4uA.gif
    giphy.gif

My dad has developed an allergy to dairy. :( He thinks his life is over because he can't eat cheese. He was seriously upset when the doctor told him no more cheese. Poor pops. Some families have tables topped with salt and pepper - we have parmesan.

Kraft singles are terrifying and totally "plastic cheese", but they are the perfect grilled cheese drunken late night snack.
    tumblr_lp0tsnxkbq1qc66bjo1_500.gif?w=500&h=244
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What else would it be meant for? Home décor?

You could stack the wheels to make a coffee table, like in Skyrim.

You are clearly a geek. I like you=D

also cheese is awesome, although this statement does not help OP.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    OP, the person who said that to you needs a punch in the throat.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Also completely OT (and a little dark):
    this entire thread has made me consider what an expansion to "A Modest Proposal" by Johnathan Swift would look like, especially if you added in today's technology.

"We could milk the mothers after we take the infants away and make delicious cheese that way we would no longer have to rely on cows."
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I like to think that cheese is meant for me to eat. But about an hour or so after consumption, my boyfriend begs to differ...
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    ironanimal wrote: »
    Neither is seaweed, but people still eat it.

Or cauliflower. ;)
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Someone just said this to me. I love hard cheese. But I also love a lot of things this person doesn't, as they avoid entire food groups including dairy. I also love research/studies. So... discuss.

Why is cheese meant or not meant for human consumption?
    What studies are available that I can review on this topic?

Thanks. :)
    Meant by whom?

• joolsmd
    joolsmd Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right. So many to choose from! An extra mature cheddar so strong that it makes your saliva glands ache, an ancient brie that is so runny it needs to be spooned up, wensleydale with apricots, swiss cheese slices on burgers, red leicester eaten with an apple, so much variety.

Bury me in cheeeeeesee :p
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    She is probably referring to the fact that cows produce milk to feed their babies, like all mammals. Not so adult humans can make the baby into veal and then suck at mama cow's teats....
    Sorry but mammary glands do not have intent. Milk is produced because genes for growing mammary glands and passing nutrition/energy to one's young provided an advantage in the propagation of those genes. So if milk were to have an intent or purpose, it would be to aid in the propagation of the genes of the animal that produced it.

You missed the part where producing milk makes them valuable to humans, who feed them and protect them from disease and predators and ensure the propagation of cow genes. So ultimately the milk does the same thing but via a slightly more circuitous route.

Someone without an agenda might even consider it a symbiotic relationship.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    How anyone could get anything that smells like that past their nose and into their mouth and then chew it and swallow it is truly a human mystery.

I've never eaten cheese in my life. Aside from a very occasional slice of pizza where the smell and taste of the cheese is disguised by the pork toppings and the tomato sauce. And even still, it skeeves me a little.

Because it tastes awesome.

That's so wrong. It smells like extreme body odor. When it's a person, that smell is considered SOCIALLY DISGRACEFUL. When it's cheese that smell says LET'S EAT. :grey_question:

Do you eat fish or other seafood? Mushrooms? Yeast?
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Someone just said this to me. I love hard cheese. But I also love a lot of things this person doesn't, as they avoid entire food groups including dairy. I also love research/studies. So... discuss.

Physiologically, we don't need to consume dairy. Calcium and other nutrients from dairy can easily be attained from other sources of food and drink.

That said, I'll be damned if I give up ice cream, yogurt and cheese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Honest question.

Based on the presumption that the only food we need to consume are foods that contain nutrients we can't get from other foods/drinks ...

Are there any foods that we NEED to consume? 'Cause I can't think of any offhand.
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I use wedges of parmesan under my tires in winter to keep my car from sliding out of the driveway. Of course I eat it in spring
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Physiologically, we don't need to consume dairy. Calcium and other nutrients from dairy can easily be attained from other sources of food and drink.

That said, I'll be damned if I give up ice cream, yogurt and cheese.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Honest question.

Based on the presumption that the only food we need to consume are foods that contain nutrients we can't get from other foods/drinks ...

Are there any foods that we NEED to consume? 'Cause I can't think of any offhand.
    Just Bacon. Everything else is just window dressing.
    End thread.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png