"Cheese is not meant for human consumption"

Options

Replies

• miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Cheese is hands down the best snack for dental health. That is what my dentist told me. It doesn't lower the ph of your mouth, leading to an acidic environment that causes tooth decay. It's actually good for your teeth. Cheese for the win!
  • katarina005
    katarina005 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I can only imagine that your friend is against dairy because of the whole "humans are the only mammals who continue to consume milk after they are they weaned" philosophy. that we don't need it, which is probably true..milk is bad for your bones and all that mumbo jumbo. cheese is good. personally I wouldn't read too much into what your friend says, except to say that dairy when enjoyed too much can be really fattening. I try not to hardly eat any cheese now, but I drink skim milk.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    the only cheese not meant for human consumption is Kraft singles.

Does that really count as cheese?

No
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    The only reason cheese exists is to be eaten by humans. Literally the whole purpose of cheese is human consumption. And thank God for it because cheese is awesome.

Whether humans should eat dairy is a whole other argument. For me, you can pry the cheese and ice cream out of my cold dead hands.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,525 Member
    Options
    Someone just said this to me. I love hard cheese. But I also love a lot of things this person doesn't, as they avoid entire food groups including dairy. I also love research/studies. So... discuss.

Why is cheese meant or not meant for human consumption?
    What studies are available that I can review on this topic?

Thanks. :)
    Physiologically, we don't need to consume dairy. Calcium and other nutrients from dairy can easily be attained from other sources of food and drink.

That said, I'll be damned if I give up ice cream, yogurt and cheese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ValerieCKenney
    Options
    Dairy isn't necessarily meant for human consumption, however, cheese is made for that exact reason. Dairy milk, is made to nurse calf (any milk, that is). It is the same thing with human breast milk-it's made for babies. Cheese is taking that milk and combining it with an acid or enzyme. It is the casein that combines with the acid or enzyme leaving whey as a byproduct. So, it is a man-made process, and that means that is is made for man.
    I think I know what s/he means though. There have been studies that show that dairy products could increase the chances of one's developing prostate and ovarian cancers. Also, it is said that is could prevent absorption of Iron, and isn't really aiding calcium absorption, quite the opposite. However, these studies haven't been validated (I think). Anyway, most dietitians recommended consuming low-fat or no-fat dairy products.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,409 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Someone just said this to me. I love hard cheese. But I also love a lot of things this person doesn't, as they avoid entire food groups including dairy. I also love research/studies. So... discuss.

Physiologically, we don't need to consume dairy. Calcium and other nutrients from dairy can easily be attained from other sources of food and drink.

That said, I'll be damned if I give up ice cream, yogurt and cheese.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

This.

I love dairy. Today I have had butter, sour cream, cheese (twice), heavy whipping cream and half-n-half.

Cows, I love their flesh and the products of their udders.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Seems like a lot hinges on the meaning and context of the word "meant." Meant by who or what? Mother nature? Mr. Diety? Farmer John? Is an apple "meant" for human consumption, or is it just an apple trees way of spreading it's seed?
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    4451141080_tumblr_m0iu9erapv1r08ht3o1_500_xlarge.jpeg
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Cheese is life blood, it is akin to all that is good in the world. Whoever said that must be trying to get you not to eat cheese so he can save it all for himself. It's the only logical explanation.
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Cheese is cheese. It's just a way of using and storing milk, so if you're lactose tolerant it's fine.
    Actually, cheese only contains very trace amounts of lactose. Most people with lactose intolerance can eat cheese without any problems.

• ldhudsonjr
    ldhudsonjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Forks over Knives is basically propaganda and The China Study has been widely discredited.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Forks_Over_Knives

Good reads
  • paradi3s
    paradi3s Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If that's the case, I am not human! The eggplant wraps U had last night was ridden with the delicious stuff. I loooooove cheese. I guess that "someone" has had bad experiences with it haha
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    fxj2rgwrhy9q.jpg
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you look at it this way - We are the only species on earth that continue to have milk/dairy after we are weened.

Do we need it? Probably not.
    Do we want it? Hell yeh!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,921 Member
    Options
    Never seen cows eat cheese, but I'm sure there's a gif.
  • kristiercs
    Options
    Well, maybe certain people. I'm nursing and had to stop eating dairy because my colic baby was sensitive to dairy. I have had hormonal cystic acne for almost 20 years but since I haven't had any dairy it's completely gone. My guess is because I'm not taking in the extra hormones that's milk (I drank a lot of it). So maybe people with hormonal issues should try avoiding dairy.
    But if you're willing to eat the cow I don't see what the big protest is with its milk.
    I still crave cheese. Every. Single. Day. Everything that's good about American food has cheese in it. It's the first thing I'm going to eat once the colic goes away. But I'll probably continue to not drink milk and only eat dairy very occasionally because I like my clear skin better than dairy
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you look at it this way - We are the only species on earth that continue to have milk/dairy after we are weened.

Do we need it? Probably not.
    Do we want it? Hell yeh!!

Only because we are the only species that has a way to reliably procure it.

Anecdote alert: Several years ago in Britain, customers were complaining to the dairy that the milk bottles that were delivered to them had the tops popped and the cream siphoned off. After a lengthy investigation, the dairy learned that CROWS were removing the bottle tops and drinking the cream. So even animals that were raised on dairy will consume it if the opportunity arises.

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Cheese: the only reason I exercise.
  • JMC3Terp
    JMC3Terp Posts: 2,803 Member
    Options
    Cheese is one of the reasons I need to lose weight. I'm not sure if its meant for human consumption as too much of it is definitely evil. But its delicious!