"Cheese is not meant for human consumption"

Options

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm a human and right now I'm munching down on a Jalepeno String Cheese stick....Nom Nom Nom. Oh, and I just finished a Greek Coconut yogurt that was as equally yummy.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I suppose if you look at it this way - We are the only species on earth that continue to have milk/dairy after we are weened.

Do we need it? Probably not.
    Do we want it? Hell yeh!!

If it's available, many species of animals will happily drink milk or eat cheese.

Cats, dogs, mice, rats, coyotes, racoons, ...

I mean, if a horse will drink a beer from a bottle or eat a duckling - and I've seen both happen without human encouragement - isn't it clear diets are pretty much down to availability, what seems tasty, and what will/won't kill you?
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Let's just remember that the cheese didn't ferment and strain itself from milk products derived from farmed animals... somebody stepped in and made it and these unknown people in history will forever live in my memory as doing something much more wonderful than sliced bread ever thought of being. Sounds like it was made for human consumption to me!
  • Athos282
    Athos282 Posts: 405 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Analysis:
    Can I eat cheese? Yes. Does cheese taste good? Yes. Do I suffer adverse effects from the consumption of cheese? Nothing apparent.

Conclusion:
    Cheese is fit for consumption.

Thank you for your inquiry.

/thread
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    joolsmd wrote: »
    If cheese is wrong, I don't want to be right. So many to choose from! An extra mature cheddar so strong that it makes your saliva glands ache, an ancient brie that is so runny it needs to be spooned up, wensleydale with apricots, swiss cheese slices on burgers, red leicester eaten with an apple, so much variety.

Bury me in cheeeeeesee :p

Gimme that runny brie and a spoon. Mmmmmmmmm

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have no patience for people that avoid whole categories of food. They deserve to starve. I live by the rule of Andrew Zimmern: If it looks good, eat it.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    There's a misconception, mostly put forth by the vegan community, that it's unnatural to consume the milk of other species. To my knowlege humans are the only species that does it however I have heard of zoo and other animal rescues crossing species to save animals, etc. However just because we are the only ones that routinely do it does not make it wrong. We have evolved to be true omnivores. I even have a problem with my fellow Paleo peeps saying our ancestors would not have drank other species milk...do you really think that if our hunter-gatherer ancesters killed a lactating animal for thier meat they would have just dumped out the milk? Nope...all part of eating nose to tail.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    She is probably referring to the fact that cows produce milk to feed their babies, like all mammals. Not so adult humans can make the baby into veal and then suck at mama cow's teats....

What?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or actually confused. Assuming the latter, let me spell it out: Cheese is made from the milk of a cow (or goat). Cows don't make milk for humans, not willingly anyway. They produce it for their babies. The dairy industry operates by taking away the baby to slaughter or other uses and taking the milk for us humans.

Milk (and yogurt, cheese, other things we make from milk) is meant for baby cows. Not adult humans.

I don't think trees produce nuts for us to eat either. Those nuts are their babies. You're not eating almonds, you're eating tree babies!

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    How anyone could get anything that smells like that past their nose and into their mouth and then chew it and swallow it is truly a human mystery.

I've never eaten cheese in my life. Aside from a very occasional slice of pizza where the smell and taste of the cheese is disguised by the pork toppings and the tomato sauce. And even still, it skeeves me a little.

Because it tastes awesome.

That's so wrong. It smells like extreme body odor. When it's a person, that smell is considered SOCIALLY DISGRACEFUL. When it's cheese that smell says LET'S EAT. :grey_question:

I don't know what type of cheese you're used to, but I've never smelled cheese that's eau the body odor. Maybe your cheese rotted. you should keep it in the fridge.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like cheese. Without getting theological about the issue, I'm okay with eating it. I'm not lactose intolerant, and I've learned to manage the issues related to calorie density.

Others may feel differently, but their right to an opinion does not extend to judgment about my dining choices.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Everybody is talking about how great cheese is, but nobody is talking about how awesome baby cow is as well.

Tasty, tasty veal.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    How anyone could get anything that smells like that past their nose and into their mouth and then chew it and swallow it is truly a human mystery.

I've never eaten cheese in my life. Aside from a very occasional slice of pizza where the smell and taste of the cheese is disguised by the pork toppings and the tomato sauce. And even still, it skeeves me a little.

That's so wrong. It smells like extreme body odor. When it's a person, that smell is considered SOCIALLY DISGRACEFUL. When it's cheese that smell says LET'S EAT. :grey_question:

I don't know what type of cheese you're used to, but I've never smelled cheese that's eau the body odor. Maybe your cheese rotted. you should keep it in the fridge.

Two I can think of are sap sago and Limberger

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    htimpaired wrote: »

Two I can think of are sap sago and Limberger

Note to self-don't buy sap sago or Limberger. :smiley:
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    sorry, this is the first thing that popped into my head. XD

20150316_3233.jpg
  • pants77
    pants77 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    People weren't meant to ride in cars, ride in airplanes, use toiletries, use synthetic materials to make clothes or as building materials either.

So when all the cheesophobes start eating nothing but bark, wearing clothes made from their own hair, stop all bathing and grooming, take off their shoes, move into a mud and grass hovel, and walk everywhere barefoot, etc etc etc....

...nope, nevermind, I'm still eating cheese.
  • bettybing1
    bettybing1 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I once had a friend try to argue that cows weren't natural but iPads were.

Basically, he was trying to say that cows aren't natural because we bred them to have certain qualities and they no longer resemble a wild, original cow. Then he argued that iPads are natural because they are a a tool crafted by humans, thus a natural progression.

As you can tell my friend needs to sort out which point they're going to argue rather than using both, but also that you can manipulate anything to fit either of those stances. Including cheese.
  • kozinskey
    kozinskey Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    sorry, this is the first thing that popped into my head. XD

20150316_3233.jpg

Wait seriously? This is a question? It's straightforward -- people took milk with them on trips and needed something to carry it in. If you're using all the parts of the animals you're eating, the stomach becomes a logical tool to carry liquids. Milk + stomach + bouncing around = cheese. Centuries of deliciousness ensue.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    bettybing1 wrote: »
    I once had a friend try to argue that cows weren't natural but iPads were.

Basically, he was trying to say that cows aren't natural because we bred them to have certain qualities and they no longer resemble a wild, original cow. Then he argued that iPads are natural because they are a a tool crafted by humans, thus a natural progression.

As you can tell my friend needs to sort out which point they're going to argue rather than using both, but also that you can manipulate anything to fit either of those stances. Including cheese.

There is nothing more human than this sort of justification of whatever we want to justify, consistency be damned.

It's probably related to the mental skills that allowed us to decide to domesticate cows and drink their milk and make cheese.

Therefore, cheese makes us human! (But it's okay lactose intolerant folks, you are human too.)