Your favorite black

124»

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    aut2run wrote: »
    Sumatra

I wanted to like it. Cool name. Tiger in the label.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Lol...

"Kicking Horse Coffee
    https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com
    Mobile-friendly - A Full line of super premium organic coffees roasted with 100% pure Canadian air."

IDKY I find the "Canadian air" part funny.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Well not surprisingly on the Kicking Horse website my most likely to love NOT dark roast coffees are "Mexican" , "Smart *kitten*" & " Pacific". Which makes sense since i am a mexican smartazz who lives on the pacific. I'm gonna try those three, they arent too expensive.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Gelsons carries it, that should be easy to find in LA.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited June 2015
    jddnw wrote: »
    This what an inexpensive grinder looks like. I can't emphasize enough the taste benefits of fresh ground from whole beans.

krups_twin_blade_grinder_500x500.jpg

^^ That's a blade grinder. It is INFERIOR to a Burr Grinder (still budget):...

811986mYtXL._SL1500_.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Gelsons carries it, that should be easy to find in LA.
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    jddnw wrote: »
    This what an inexpensive grinder looks like. I can't emphasize enough the taste benefits of fresh ground from whole beans.

krups_twin_blade_grinder_500x500.jpg

^^ That's a blade grinder. It is INFERIOR to a Burr Grinder (still budget):...

811986mYtXL._SL1500_.jpg

I'm guessing a burr grinder uses a burr to grind rather than a blade but I don't know what that is so can you elaborate?

• MyChocolateDiet
    I found this 2_why_blade_grinders_suck.png
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    Burr grinders crush the beans, it pulverizes them... extracting more oils and therefore more flavor and aroma. The better final texture also allows for better extraction.

A blade grinder just chops the beans into sharp, uneven bits. The blade also dulls quickly and likely dies completely within 1-2 years.

Never expose any of these grinders to water.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    And this...Burr-vs-Blade.jpg
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Now I'd like to know

1) how that affects the taste of the coffee and
    2) why a blade grinder cannot simply be pulsed or run longer to achive a finer/more uniform grind?
  • sixxpoint
    edited June 2015
    They cost the same. Buy one and find out. For me the burr grinders allow for more flavor, aroma, and extraction. I've had them both, but the science points towards Burr grinders as being superior.

Couple a burr grinder with a French press and enough QUALITY coffee (people often do not use enough coffee). You will never look back.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    sixxpoint wrote: »
    Burr grinders crush the beans, it pulverizes them... extracting more oils and therefore more flavor and aroma. The better final texture also allows for better extraction.

A blade grinder just chops the beans into sharp, uneven bits. The blade also dulls quickly and likely dies completely within 1-2 years.

Never expose any of these grinders to water.
    Thanks.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    edited June 2015
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    This weeks favourite is Costa Rica Monte Brisas Finca Salaca Typica Black Honey... from here - http://www.hasbean.co.uk/products/costa-rica-monte-brisas-salaca-typica-black-honey

Drop some of that in the Rancilio Rocky, grind them up and into the Epoca... Lovely. Excuse me, think I need another Shot.
    I apoligize I missed your reply previously. Everything you have sounds so fancy. Are you ri¢h? ... Or the Dos Equis guy?

200_s.gif

^before coffee

tumblr_mxre20630E1r4fxo4o1_1280.jpg

^after coffee
  • MyChocolateDiet
    We got a french press today. Pretty excited.
  • ChandalNicole
    ChandalNicole Posts: 166 Member
    I get my coffee from my local farmer's market. There's a couple that has a small business and the coffee is amazing! They have a "costa rica" blend that's really delicious, without anything in it. Try a local small business! They tend to put a lot of care into their product. :) And like others have said, invest in an inexpensive grinder. You won't be disappointed!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    techgal128 wrote: »
    Denzel Washington. :wink:

I didn't think we were allowed to go there. Laurence Fishburne for seriousness, Tim Meadows for funny. If they had a baby together, then I pick that baby.

For coffee, I'm not a snob and just started drinking it black. Any light or medium roast k-cup, but mainly Green Mountain Blueberry.

• sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Echoing what others have said, if you are going to grind your own coffee, you need a burr grinder. The $20 blade grinders are great for spices, but lousy for coffee. You're much better off buying ground coffee. As for brand of coffee, experiment.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    One more suggestion. If you are just making coffee for yourself, get a french press. Cheap and delicious, but a pain if you are making more than 4-6 cups