Things that aren't worth the calories........

Options

Replies

• TickingPwny
    TickingPwny Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ice cream (I could have TWICE as much frozen yogurt for those calories, and it tastes the same to me), SODA, French fries, regular yogurt, almost anything from a grocery bakery, wings...

I'll probably be back later with more. :P

EDIT: Oh, yeah! Nuts and commercially baked goods. Pop Tarts and strudels? Nah. I'll make my own and enjoy my hobby at the same time. However, those boxed chocolate doughnuts...mmm...forgive me for I have sinned and will continue to do so.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ALL Milkshakes! I love them, but man!!
    Most nuts are not worth the calories too me.
    Snack cakes or other pre-packaged baked goods.
    Most dinner rolls (I can find other things on a menu to spend my calories on)
    Ice cream, which I love but totally not worth it based on the tiny serving size.
    Sugary sodas
    Peanut butter (even know I love it!)
    The delicious frozen adult beverages like Pina Coladas
    Regular Frappes
    Store bought icing
    Mayonese

Ugh! I can go on and on...

I've always found this interesting. How our reasonable servings are dictated by our culture and upbringing. Here we've always had one ice cream serving, and never felt it to be tiny because that's how much we are used to eating. Occasionally we would "splurge" on a 2-3 scoop banana split or something similar. Same with soda, a 200-250 ml cup of soda (occasionally the "big" 330 ml can) and then when I hear some people considering 20 oz to be a "normal" serving I think "damn, we buy a 1 liter bottle of soda for the whole family". Now rice on the other hand, I cringe when I see 1/2 cup of rice is a serving when we are used to eating 2 cups.
  • asimonep
    asimonep Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I ate a piece of coffee cake from Einstein Bros Bagels, then looked it up later, and found that it had 800 calories!!!! It was dry and bland, and not very big. I've never wanted to make myself throw up after eating, but I almost did :(
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Diet soda is totally not worth the calories.

Not even zero. Blech.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Ice cream, which I love but totally not worth it based on the tiny serving size.
    Sugary sodas
    Regular Frappes
    Store bought icing
    Mayonese

I've always found this interesting. How our reasonable servings are dictated by our culture and upbringing. Here we've always had one ice cream serving, and never felt it to be tiny because that's how much we are used to eating. Occasionally we would "splurge" on a 2-3 scoop banana split or something similar. Same with soda, a 200-250 ml cup of soda (occasionally the "big" 330 ml can) and then when I hear some people considering 20 oz to be a "normal" serving I think "damn, we buy a 1 liter bottle of soda for the whole family". Now rice on the other hand, I cringe when I see 1/2 cup of rice is a serving when we are used to eating 2 cups.

I'm with you. 1/2 cup of ice cream is a totally reasonable serving to me and anything more is a treat for when im out walking and get a giant waffle cone with maybe 2 scoops instead of one.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Beets....always beets.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    anything that I don't like to eat or drink. so, that isn't much.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Sugary sodas
    Regular Frappes
    Store bought icing
    Mayonese

I'm with you. 1/2 cup of ice cream is a totally reasonable serving to me and anything more is a treat for when im out walking and get a giant waffle cone with maybe 2 scoops instead of one.

I remember the first time I had a McFlurry, I felt it was one hell of a splurge, and I'm saying this as a 300+ pound person who could easily devour 5000 calories. Funny how our habits sometimes dictate our perception.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Sodas
    Juice
    Whole wheat bread- if I'm having bread, I want a soft and delicious baguette. Otherwise I don't bother with bread, brown rice and quinoa are way more filling
    Some store bought baked goods- I like to bake. I'm good at it. No pie or cookie that I've bought in a store has ever been better than what I can make at home. So when I'm out and about I never eat them. That said, there's plenty of baked goods I'm not that good at- my brownies are meh and I don't make things like flourless chocolate cake, chocolate croissant, donuts. I do eat those, rarely, in small or moderate amounts.
    Frozen Greek yogurt- tastes ok, but I'd rather just have gelato. If I really want to satisfy a craving, I put it in a smoothie. SO GOOD!
  • caseypcarlin
    caseypcarlin Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If it brings you pleasure, eat it.
    If it doesn't being you pleasure, don't eat it.

Mmmmm coke.

#moderation

Eating in moderation, and deciding that some things just aren't worth it aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. There are some foods that taste good, but I don't eat and I still eat the foods I love in moderation.
  • mkvigneau
    mkvigneau Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sugary drinks, cheesecake, juice, store bought baked goods, full fat ice cream, most full fat dairy, bar margaritas, fast food, marbled steaks, breaded deep fried fish

Those are the ones that sprang quickly to mind.

That's like my ideal cheat day...
  • KristinaG_is_losing_it
    Options
    soda/pop is my #1 I was never a huge addict to begin with but then I started taking topamax a few years ago for my migraines and don't miss it at all. McDonald's, etc I also don't find satisfying any more. Easy yes, but I now view my diet differently, I like knowing I can have more food for the same amount of calories and it can still taste good. I'm all for having a small fry now and then though. As for wine, I love wine. I just started taking the topamax again so I can't drink, but I always made sure I could have wine. I'd rather have a good glass or two of red wine than 6 margaritas any day.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    If it brings you pleasure, eat it.
    If it doesn't being you pleasure, don't eat it.

Mmmmm coke.

#moderation

Eating in moderation, and deciding that some things just aren't worth it aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. There are some foods that taste good, but I don't eat and I still eat the foods I love in moderation.

yeah, learning "what's not worth it" is one of the first steps to figuring out moderation...don't blow calories on what's not worth it, save them for the stuff that is! What's worth it? Totally up to individual preference.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mkvigneau wrote: »
    Sugary drinks, cheesecake, juice, store bought baked goods, full fat ice cream, most full fat dairy, bar margaritas, fast food, marbled steaks, breaded deep fried fish

Those are the ones that sprang quickly to mind.

That's like my ideal cheat day...

Have it all my friend. Have it all.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Cheap Wine full of added sugars (what they call a "Sugary Wine").
    Dry Overcooked Turkey/Chicken Patty.
    Any Noodles in Chinese Restaurant that aren't well sauteed.
    Pathetically watered down Indian Curry.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Soda and juice. Never wast my calories on drinks. Unless it's a glass of wine;-)
    But I am currently not drinking alcohol either so no wasted calories on drinks for me. I'll drink water all day long and save my cals for FOOD!
    And whoever said avacadoes.....omg, I LOVE them! I eat 1 or at least a half a one per day. So healthy for you! Good calories!
  • JRWx694
    JRWx694 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think baked beans are worth the calories. Although they have a lot of fibre and protein, I think the sugar content ruins a good food
  • vfit10
    vfit10 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I would say sodas.. No worth it just bunch of sugars.. And beer empty Cals
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Any non-ice cream based beverage
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    Cheap Wine full of added sugars (what they call a "Sugary Wine").
    Dry Overcooked Turkey/Chicken Patty.
    Any Noodles in Chinese Restaurant that aren't well sauteed.
    Pathetically watered down Indian Curry.

Sweet wines are an abomination. Yuck.

And nasty food is NEVER worth calories. NEVER. If one is going to eat, one should damn well eat food that is well prepared, seasoned properly and aesthetically pleasing.