Things that aren't worth the calories........

Options

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    No, you are more specific with the order in that circumstance because do YOU ever order a "soda" or "pop" when asked at restaurant? Or do you just tell them what kind? But it would not be out of place for you to say to a friend that you want to stop somewhere for a coke and then actually order sprite.

Im glad you explained this! Cause when I first read that on here I was soooo confused but didnt want to ask LoL!

Because, say if Im visiting someones home and they ask me what Id like to drink, Id say soda to mean..whatever soda (or pop, or cola) you have, Ill take it! I mean, to be polite and not make a specific brand request at someones home... But if I said Coke, theyd say, oh I dont have any, will a Pepsi / Sprite / ice tea be alright?

But, Im guessing in the same situation, if you told a friend youd like a Coke..theyd assume you mean any soda would be fine, and bring you whatever they have, and not that youre specifically asking for a Coke? So if you actually did want a Coke, youd have to say Coca-Cola then Im guessing?

I have to admit, Im intrigued LoL seems complicated, but of course, its only cause this is new to me!

Exactly what I thought hahaha!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    We (mostly) say "Pop" for soda. Here a coke is a coke, diet coke is a diet coke, pepsi would be a pepsi, 7-up would be 7-up, Fresca is Fresca, etc.

• Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    No, you are more specific with the order in that circumstance because do YOU ever order a "soda" or "pop" when asked at restaurant? Or do you just tell them what kind? But it would not be out of place for you to say to a friend that you want to stop somewhere for a coke and then actually order sprite.

Im glad you explained this! Cause when I first read that on here I was soooo confused but didnt want to ask LoL!

Because, say if Im visiting someones home and they ask me what Id like to drink, Id say soda to mean..whatever soda (or pop, or cola) you have, Ill take it! I mean, to be polite and not make a specific brand request at someones home... But if I said Coke, theyd say, oh I dont have any, will a Pepsi / Sprite / ice tea be alright?

But, Im guessing in the same situation, if you told a friend youd like a Coke..theyd assume you mean any soda would be fine, and bring you whatever they have, and not that youre specifically asking for a Coke? So if you actually did want a Coke, youd have to say Coca-Cola then Im guessing?

I have to admit, Im intrigued LoL seems complicated, but of course, its only cause this is new to me!

I lived in Austin for a while, that's the way it is. If I ordered a coke, the waitress would say "ok, Dr Pepper?"
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I've had people ask me if I wanted a coke and then when I said yes, ask what kind and list off all the soda/pop they have. That actually used to happen a lot when I was young, but not so much anymore.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eudoxy wrote: »

I lived in Austin for a while, that's the way it is. If I ordered a coke, the waitress would say "ok, Dr Pepper?"

LoL!!! Okay, that seriously sounds like a Twilight Zone episode!

"All I want is a Coke!!!"
    "Why didnt you just say so?" *hands him a Mountain Dew* Lmfao!!!

On a completely unrelated to soda, but still on a beverage note, and to do with Texas:

A few years ago, in Dallas, I ordered a beer and it came to me on ice.
    Now *that* was strange! Im not sure if its a TX thing or if the bartender was on a mental vacay, but ever since then, I only get bottle beer when I go to TX.
  • Terpnista84
    Terpnista84 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Sodas. I'm diet all the way now. I hate to waste my calories on drinks and Coke Zero is a great replacement.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When we order "brown toast" here in Canada we mean whole wheat. Meander south of the border and ask for "brown toast" and we get the waiter stare.
    "Do you mean wheat toast?"
    "Um, yes, of course."

I think this is brown bread south of the border:
    sliced-boston-brown-bread-with-butter.jpg
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Blue is pop, red is Coke, yellow is soda:

popvssodamap.png
  • jkwolly
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When we order "brown toast" here in Canada we mean whole wheat. Meander south of the border and ask for "brown toast" and we get the waiter stare.
    "Do you mean wheat toast?"
    "Um, yes, of course."
    BAHAH yes!

"White or brown bread?"

• Tubbs216
    Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Blue is pop, red is Coke, yellow is soda:

popvssodamap.png
    Seeing that it makes sense why Canada is 'pop'. Osmosis.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ahhh!! Cool map! Also explains why with as much as Ive traveled, have never heard of soda being called coke... Lived in NY, CA and SoFla... Have traveled into the Northwest and Midwest...

...and then of course TX..where they put ice in my beer.

interesting no mention of cola though, I know Ive heard that quite a bit, just dont recall where...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Well then, here is a new one: every Coca-Cola type soft drink is a Pepsi, even Coca-Cola, and every 7Up type drink is a 7 Up, and fruit flavored ones are called by their particular brand names, but in general they're all a Pepsi.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    " When the [Russian] participants arrived for their interview, I offered them a set of drinks: Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite -- seven, to be exact. During the very first session ... one of the participants made a comment that really caught me off guard. "Oh, but it doesn't matter. It's all just soda. That's just one choice." (Murmuring) I was so struck by this comment that from then on, I started to offer all the participants those seven sodas, and I asked them, "How many choices are these?" Again and again, they perceived these seven different sodas, not as seven choices, but as one choice: soda or no soda. When I put out juice and water in addition to these seven sodas, now they perceived it as only three choices -- juice, water and soda."

http://www.ted.com/talks/sheena_iyengar_on_the_art_of_choosing?language=en
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Ahhh!! Cool map! Also explains why with as much as Ive traveled, have never heard of soda being called coke... Lived in NY, CA and SoFla... Have traveled into the Northwest and Midwest...

...and then of course TX..where they put ice in my beer.

interesting no mention of cola though, I know Ive heard that quite a bit, just dont recall where...

Maybe in the green "other" sections?
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my wine, but I agree that soda isn't worth it! Diet tastes almost the same, and even that I rarely ever drink.

I also don't think candy bars are worth it... they're never as good as I remember them being. If I want chocolate, I want some amazing, to-die-for chocolate souffle or something! That is worth it! hahaha
  • ladybarometer
    ladybarometer Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    ALL Milkshakes! I love them, but man!!
    Most nuts are not worth the calories too me.
    Snack cakes or other pre-packaged baked goods.
    Most dinner rolls (I can find other things on a menu to spend my calories on)
    Ice cream, which I love but totally not worth it based on the tiny serving size.
    Sugary sodas
    Peanut butter (even know I love it!)
    The delicious frozen adult beverages like Pina Coladas
    Regular Frappes
    Store bought icing
    Mayonese

Ugh! I can go on and on...
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have always found the "coke" for everything weird, especially because the Coca-Cola company has fought it tooth and nail to keep their trademark. Up here, if you ask for a Coke and they have Pepsi? Restaurant rules are that you HAVE to ask "Is Pepsi OK?" I can't imagine offering a non-cola. That's just odd.

The map is cool. The yellow gets lighter around Boston because there are still a lot of old timers that call all sodas "Tonic" (and not just tonic water, so they are as baffling as the Southerners who call everything Coke!) up there. Eh, don't drink a Tonic that leaves you with a bottle to put in the barrel, just go to the bubbler and get some water, that's what I say. :)
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Even though I love them...any sort of latte. 500-700 calories of caffeinated bliss just isn't worth it. Neither is most candy and sodas.

Where are these 700 calorie lattes? I've NEVER had a latte come in at over 200 cals. I'm starting to think you people have secret recipes that include bone marrow or something...
    Seriously, my favorite latte has skim milk and a pump of syrup (for flavor without being too sweet) and a zillion espresso shots because hey caffeine. I'm wondering if people are pulverizing cupcakes or ice cream into theirs.
    Venti Starbucks Vanilla Latte is 320 calories

BUUUUUUUUUT have it with skim milk and SF syrup - 160 calories.

IDGAF since I prefer Americano's anyways

Venti Soy Chai Latte 280 calories and 51g of carbs..,
  • jkwolly
    Options
    lilRicki wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Even though I love them...any sort of latte. 500-700 calories of caffeinated bliss just isn't worth it. Neither is most candy and sodas.

Where are these 700 calorie lattes? I've NEVER had a latte come in at over 200 cals. I'm starting to think you people have secret recipes that include bone marrow or something...
    Seriously, my favorite latte has skim milk and a pump of syrup (for flavor without being too sweet) and a zillion espresso shots because hey caffeine. I'm wondering if people are pulverizing cupcakes or ice cream into theirs.
    Venti Starbucks Vanilla Latte is 320 calories

BUUUUUUUUUT have it with skim milk and SF syrup - 160 calories.

IDGAF since I prefer Americano's anyways

Venti Soy Chai Latte 280 calories and 51g of carbs..,
    Cool.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Nuts. I know they are supposed to be good for energy and all, but a handful is about as many calories as an average meal. Sodas are not worth the calories. Nor is cake. Cookies and ice cream now...definitely worth the calories:-)