Things that aren't worth the calories........

Options

Replies

• csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    mummma wrote: »
    I was just having this discussion with my friends. what do you think isn't worth the calories.

we came up with. non diet soda, nutella, cadburys cream eggs, wine, energy drinks, anything with full fat milk, McDonalds milkshakes...

edited: coke because some people cant get their head around the English 'full fat coke' thing

also this is what people have decided its not worth spending their calorie allowance on. none of it is wrong. each to their own. its just a conversation.

My usual approach isn't so much if it's worth the calories, but if it's worth feeling hungry later. In the end, it's basically talking about the same thing, but I find it helps me find an appropriate time and place to incorporate less filling foods.

For example, on a day like today, where I don't have a lot going on and I'll be in my office or my house, I'd most likely pass on having a Banana Nut Muffin. I love them, but I know I'd probably be sitting around saying "man, I'm hungry" and feel quite tempted to get another snack, which is what puts my goals at risk. But, if it was a day where I've got a lot going on and I'm far away from any office vending machines or home pantries that might tempt me to grab a snack to fill me back up, I'd go for it.

So that lets me both 1) use these less-filling, high-calorie foods to make up for days I'm not going to have access to food or 2) say to myself "Self, I'm going to feel hungry later on, but I really want _______ and I'm willing endure that, today."

The foods that make me have go through this decision process tend to be things like pasta, bread, muffins, jelly beans, Mike-&-Ikes, Skittles, sodas, fast food, pie, etc. Luckily, though, my BMR/TDEE is usually fairly high, giving me a fair amount of wiggle room to incorporate some amount of non-filling foods.

• joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I rarely find drinking my calories to be satisfying - be it smoothies, juices, or shakes. I only tend to do it to meet my calories for the day during bulk/recomp cycles, because eating that many calories in food is almost impossible for me.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Cauliflower.

I'll eat your cauliflower for you. I wanted some so badly this week and all they had at the store were these sad, sad little golf ball sized heads. I was not happy.

golf ball sized? sounds kind of adorable
  • multimartin
    multimartin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    As much as I love them - crisps/potato chips because I eat too many and then my calorie count goes too far :(
  • Becca_250
    Becca_250 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Salad dressings (Salt&Pepper does wonders), pasta, cheese (love cheese but sooo many calories!), takeaway Indian/Chinese and fizzy/sugary drinks.
    I do think full fat milk/yoghurt and chocolate are worth the calories.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    shaythep wrote: »
    "Serving sizes" of cereal. I can eat the whole box in one sitting.

Yes! My daughter destroyed an entire bag of Cinnamon Toast Crunch in 2 days. There were supposed to be 21 servings in a bag. I had none, husband had probably 3 servings (he says one bowl, but yeah, whatever), and she ate the rest. In two days, 21 servings gone. She is height/weight appropriate per physician, but this why I don't really buy cold cereals. It is not filling at all and way too easy to overeat.

Unless it is Kashi Go Lean! Cinnamon Crunch. I couldn't overeat that it I tried. It sits like a brick in your digestive tract. No idea what they put in it, but man, good luck overreating that.
  • beachlandia
    beachlandia Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    For me it's anything very calorically dense including peanut butter and Nutella (which I used to eat straight out of the jar with a spoon). I also just use a light non-stick cooking spray instead of oil because I think that my food tastes fine without it and usually one tablespoon has over 100 calories. Also, pasta. The serving size is SO tiny that it's not worth it for something that tastes so bland (unless you add sauce or pesto, but that can add a lot of calories so I'd just rather eat something else entirely).
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Bagels and Shipley's kolaches. They just make it really hard to meet my macros, so I don't bother.
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Really it's foods I'm not all that crazy about that are calorie dense. Tends to be pasta, white breads or white rice for me, but I will totally make calorie allowances for black rice or wild rice, as well as super hearty multi-grain breads. Nom nom. Most cereal and granola are completely unsatisfying for me so not worth the calories, I rarely ate them before though so not a loss for me. I love trail mix but...ugh, again, not very satisfying for what's an actual serving size.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Salads.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Cauliflower.

I'll eat your cauliflower for you. I wanted some so badly this week and all they had at the store were these sad, sad little golf ball sized heads. I was not happy.

golf ball sized? sounds kind of adorable

I may have exaggerated due to my overwhelming disappointment. Just a bit. I'd quite like a golf-ball sized cauliflower. I'd want to keep it forever.

• Serah87
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Radishes. Had a 1st grade teacher made me eat one, I threw up all over her. ;)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

I'm starting to think you should just send me your unloved produce. I love radishes. They're great roasted as well as in salads.

• Serah87
    Options

I'm starting to think you should just send me your unloved produce. I love radishes. They're great roasted as well as in salads.

I don't waste my money on buying them. :smiley:
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I agree. Radishes and cauliflower are wonderful. I have both growing in my garden and I will be a very happy eater when they are ready.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Any thing noted as fat or sugar free. Too many additives and fake stuff.
    And fast food, that stuff is not worth it to me.

Same here. Everything I eat is the "full fat, real sugar" version. I plan to eat real food for the rest of my life so it made no sense to me to try to find 'diet' versions of things. I find that it's too easy to fall back to the 'low cal' items and use them as an excuse to be able to eat MORE. I need to learn how to eat properly and that involves being able to moderate portions of real food, found everywhere and not have to reply on others to cater to my 'diet'
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    mummma wrote: »
    wine

Wha?! You are kidding, right?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Really it's foods I'm not all that crazy about that are calorie dense.

Yeah, that's how I think of it.

It ends up being most drinks (I like juice fine, but not for the calories), most bread (really good bread I'll fit in), rice (until I started trying out white rice as a post workout food in carefully regulated portions), excess portions of pasta (I find a serving size or less of pasta plenty since it's the sauce I really like anyway, but since I am happy with a smaller amount I still eat it), plus any sweets that I don't really care about (which tends to mean no candy but for really good chocolates, no baked goods unless they are homemade by someone who can really bake or a once in a while restaurant dessert, no cannoli except for really good cannoli). Also, no fake or "low fat" cheese or other modified foods that don't actually taste that good (although I happen to like 2% cottage cheese and yogurt so I eat that quite frequently). Oh, and usually no restaurant burgers since I tend to like my homemade ones better for far fewer calories, but I will make exceptions.
  • BellaGettinFit
    BellaGettinFit Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I think any drink that has calories is a waste. I want to eat my calories, not drink them.
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    In all seriousness though, I have far less tolerance to eat foods I'm just "meh" about. Not going to waste the calories.

Lately it seems like I have a hankering for something and when I finally get that something (just a small bit, to keep me satisfied and within my goal) it is hardly worth it and half way through I think to myself, "Why am I even eating this?" I hoping this happens on Easter Sunday. *fingers crossed*