Things that aren't worth the calories........

Options
mummma
mummma Posts: 402 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I was just having this discussion with my friends. what do you think isn't worth the calories.

we came up with. non diet soda, nutella, cadburys cream eggs, wine, energy drinks, anything with full fat milk, McDonalds milkshakes...

edited: coke because some people cant get their head around the English 'full fat coke' thing

also this is what people have decided its not worth spending their calorie allowance on. none of it is wrong. each to their own. its just a conversation.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    If it brings you pleasure, eat it.
    If it doesn't being you pleasure, don't eat it.

Mmmmm coke.

#moderation
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    mummma wrote: »
    I was just having this discussion with my friends. what do you think isn't worth the calories.

we came up with. full fat coke, nutella, cadburys cream eggs, wine, energy drinks, anything with full fat milk, McDonalds milkshakes...

wut?
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    In general its kinda silly to drink your calories when you are trying to lose weight. You don't get as many as you are used to so you already feel deprived, and you just won't get that full feeling from a coke. The same goes for candy, plus these items have high sugar counts and sugar just makes you want more food. Controlling cravings by not deliberately making yourself hungry is just the smart way to go. If you avoid your own trigger foods for a while you will find your taste changes and you like the healthier options.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I love full fat versions of everything so they are worth the cals to me.

For me peas are not worth the cals, I don't like their texture!
  • PowerfulHunt
    PowerfulHunt Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    1 cup of cashews for about 700 calories. sigh.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Soda, full fat dairy products, fruit juice, cocktails with a whole bunch of different sugary mixers in them, regular yogurt, regular peanut butter
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Avocados. -- Just tasteless and dull
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    To me, rice isn't worth the calories. I'd rather have a potato. With butter.

Bad chocolate.

Bad ice cream.

Bad (cheap grocery store brand) butter.

I'm starting to sense a theme.

Oh, I forgot! Gluten free replacements of gluten-containing items. I've had celiac disease a long time, and have had a lot of GF items over the years. GF bread won't sop up the egg yolk just so, nor will the toast from it soak in butter correctly. GF pizza crust is just sad and there's no crispy crust with cheese clinging to it waiting for you at the end of the piece. There's no such thing as a nice, crunchy GF baguette. Just not worth the calories.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    Soda, full fat dairy products, fruit juice, cocktails with a whole bunch of different sugary mixers in them, regular yogurt, regular peanut butter
    , regular bread/bagels

also oils
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    soda
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    mushrooms. cause they make me puke. but this conversation is very odd. eat what you enjoy in moderation. I get cranky if I say anything is off limits
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    Cake & Pie. I have not had any since I began on MFP 3 years ago.
    Anything else is fair game...................in moderation of course :)
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Wine and full fat dairy are totally worth the calories. Typical breads, rice, pastas, etc are not. I cut the portions to 1/2 or 1/3 and just pile on veggies and protein. Hot fresh baked bread is an exception... and perfectly prepared gnocchi
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »
    Avocados. -- Just tasteless and dull

#doingitwrong
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    s_pekz wrote: »
    mushrooms. cause they make me puke. but this conversation is very odd. eat what you enjoy in moderation. I get cranky if I say anything is off limits

it was just something that came up with my friend saying she had just eaten some candy and it was worth the calories.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with full calorie soda. The calorie free versions usually taste just as good.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Kale

I don't care how few calories it has...it's not worth it
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Regular sodas, full-fat ice cream, cakes/cheesecakes (except on special occasions), brownies, cookies (I used to bake every day...), most fast food items, peanut butter, non-alcoholic milkshakes.

It isn't that I don't like these things, I just don't feel like they are worth the calories the vast majority of the time any more. I mean, I could blow 1/4-1/3 of the day's cals on a single slice of cheesecake easy. Doesn't mean it is never worth it, but as an everyday thing? No, not anymore.
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Haagen Daz - As much as I love it I can't just eat 1/2 cup.

Krispy Creme - Can't eat just one.
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Wine is SO worth the calories. So is Peanut Butter.

Sorry, soda doesn't have FAT. Sugar yes, fat no.

Here's my list - because I get ya on some of them.
    - Grocery Store made cake and icing - yuck.
    - Bagels
    - Fast food (I just don't like it)
    - Candy bars they sell in the grocery store check out. If I'm eating chocolate it better be high class stuff!