Weird Addiction Happening

Options
CorinnaShaw
CorinnaShaw Posts: 136 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
A few weeks ago, I caught the flu. During that time I developed a weird craving for oranges and soup. It seemed understandable at the time; oranges for vitamin C and soup well... because soup. Only now we are over a month away from that time and I am still craving them like crazy. I don't mind craving the oranges because it's a fruit and it's healthy. However, the chicken bouillon I have been drinking is loaded with sodium. Like one the third of the recommended amount in a single serving. I am just waiting for the heart attack at this point because I am drinking several cups of it a day. Why am I craving bouillon and oranges like this? Has anyone else had a weird experience like this? Should I completely cut it out of my diet, ignore it and drink it when I want, or are there healthier substitutes?

Replies

• peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    THISGONBGUD.gif
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    THISGONBGUD.gif

As I wait for responses, I am here boiling a pot of bouillon. Haha! Might grab an orange or two while I am at it.
  • sevader
    sevader Posts: 16
    Options
    I think thats normal. Oranges are my addiction but I cut them off but.. dont do what i did because oranges are OK i'm just a fear food person. But as for the soup start taking a bowl full, split it in half, and eat that. drink lots of water after
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Are you pregnant?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you are getting active and you have attempted to restrict sodium it could be that your body is telling you that you need more. Sodium isn't evil, it's important to our bodies. Too much combined with inadequate water and inactivity isn't good. I'm sure you're fine.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    HaHa !!!! that is the first thing that came to my mind also.
    Are you pregnant?
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Are you pregnant?

Nooooooo!!!!!

Waiting for marriage for that.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    Operant Conditioning, I suspect. In Operant conditioning, the subject associates a desirable (or undesirable) outcome with certain behaviors. You've set up a reward mechanism that associates a desirable outcome (increase in blood glucose level as detected by the brain) with satisfaction of a particular craving (oranges, soup, etc.). Generating the craving itself is likely the product of classical conditioning (e.g., Ivan Pavlov's dog salivating upon hearing a bell ring).

Can you dumb that down a bit, please? Haha
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    A few weeks ago, I caught the flu. During that time I developed a weird craving for oranges and soup. It seemed understandable at the time; oranges for vitamin C and soup well... because soup. Only now we are over a month away from that time and I am still craving them like crazy. I don't mind craving the oranges because it's a fruit and it's healthy. However, the chicken bouillon I have been drinking is loaded with sodium. Like one the third of the recommended amount in a single serving. I am just waiting for the heart attack at this point because I am drinking several cups of it a day. Why am I craving bouillon and oranges like this? Has anyone else had a weird experience like this? Should I completely cut it out of my diet, ignore it and drink it when I want, or are there healthier substitutes?

What???

Because everyone says too much sodium is super bad and will appera thy kill you. I didn't mean that literally. I'm just saying I am getting an awful lot of sodium from this bouillon.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I would be more concerned about your blood sugar from all the oranges.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    What does vitamin C have to do with the flu?
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I had salt once, and I got the clap. Not sure if there related. Wouldn't chance it.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    What does vitamin C have to do with the flu?

Boost immune system.
  • CorinnaShaw
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    I would be more concerned about your blood sugar from all the oranges.

I test my sugars 3-6 times a day. My sugars are fine. One thing that helps that is oranges are expensive around here (all fruit is) and between 12 people, it doesn't go far. I have way more soup than I do oranges. I just made a pot with 2 bowls full worth. I am almost done with the first.
  • Mistychristensen
    Mistychristensen Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are you working out and sweating more than usual? Drinking a lot of water?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you're making the soup, you have total control over how much sodium is in it.

i wouldnt worry about the oranges unless its causing you to exceed your calorie goals