Is there a cap on how much I can burn?

Options

Replies

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    sbuell20 wrote: »
    Its done, I did 2.5 hours of cardio for a decent little burn of 1530 calories. Did some walking and 40 minutes of ab workouts. If nothing else, I beat my old record of two hours of cardio at the gym. Definitely feeling a little fatigued this morning, but will be back this afternoon for my daily workout. Thank you for all the replies and information!

Be careful with that pattern. Could be eating disorder territory ("must burn the binge as soon as possible").
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machines Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?

You'll have to be pretty fit to burn 1300 calories in a reasonable amount of time...
    Burned five hundred on a break I had earlier back for the other 800 now, about an hour and fifteen for those.

Unless you're very fit, that's unlikely.

Thats not true. In fact it could be the opposite. I'm fat and I run. It burns an amazing amount of calories. I usually burn about 600 calories an hour if I'm running at 5mph. I wear an HRM so I feel that is pretty accurate. The machines also calculate me around the same burn and my heart rate is usually around 160 bpm on average when I running. It has been slowly getting slower as I get more proficient.

Great. There's the first 500 calories.

Are you going to run another 10 miles to the next 1000 calories? :)

ETA: Looks like OP is now well over 3 hours of exercising, most of it steady state cardio. Sure, that makes 1500 calories considerably more plausible....
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    terem00 wrote: »
    It took 10 hours to burn 1100 calories yet some people (always an exception) can claim to burn that much by walking for an hour???

Going balls out sprinting on the rowing machine, I can get up to 952 cals an hour, but I can't sustain that for more than 300-400m. The average for me is more like 725 an hour. I don't have the stamina yet to row that pace for as long as it would take to get to 1100 cals total burn in a reasonable amount of time. It would probably take most of the day on and off and I would be absolutely exhausted at the end of it.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Isn't Golden Cheetah marvelous? Wish I have a real power meter but the prices are still too rich. I have KK Road Machine and use VP based on their empirical formula for indoors, and IpBike VP calc for road (corrected in excel based on indoor trends to smooth out spikes and data gaps but optimization getting to be a major problem since I been riding mostly outdoors now with hills on the weekends). Tried using TCX VPower but not getting better results. Hope Watteam is not vapor wear.

For runner, PM is a near term possibility. See http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/stryd-first-running.html.

Calories estimate from HR monitor is better than nothing (just) but it's not gospel since it is a measurement of one's heart rate, period. The empirical relationship between HR and calories expended is applicable under a narrow set of criteria at best. You are better off using https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/home.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with burning over 1000 calories. I don't understand the fear.

I try to burn over 1000 calories at least one day each week if possible. And I've had some days where I've burned a whole lot more than that.

For example, if you estimate 400 calories per hour on a bicycle ... and you ride 5 hours ... that's 2000 calories. :) That's a great day!!
  • Joel33mfp
    Joel33mfp Posts: 23
    Options
    I understand what the machine says. My problem is I have a good friend that is a personal trainer and for some reason I thought he said I didn't need or want to exceed 45 minutes in cardio a day. I couldn't remember why he said that. I do just over an hour of cardio a day, six days a week. But wanted to make sure there was a point to double that,may sound stupid by want sure :-).but I heard conflicting things, or maybe I didn't understand what they were telling me.

Your trainer is correct... 30 to 45 minutes of "good" cardio is all thats needed. Pair the 30 minute days with your resistance training days and the 45 minute days on non resistance days. There's a long reason but the short one is... Studies show that unless your goal is endurance training, shorter, but more intents training after a workout will give the best toning and weight lose results.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with burning over 1000 calories. I don't understand the fear.

I try to burn over 1000 calories at least one day each week if possible. And I've had some days where I've burned a whole lot more than that.

For example, if you estimate 400 calories per hour on a bicycle ... and you ride 5 hours ... that's 2000 calories. :) That's a great day!!

Oh and ...

We've got Easter coming up. If all goes well, I'm hoping to burn at least 1000 calories a day Friday, Saturday, Sunday and possible also Monday by cycling lots. I can't think of a better way to spend a holiday. :)

• sbuell20
    sbuell20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options

My thing is I want to make sure I can burn them all or at least most off without harm. I love to eat/drink more than my diet is comfortable with. However, I wouldn't feel so bad if I can just go to the gym and work them off.

• sbuell20
    edited April 2015
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    terem00 wrote: »
    It took 10 hours to burn 1100 calories yet some people (always an exception) can claim to burn that much by walking for an hour???

Going balls out sprinting on the rowing machine, I can get up to 952 cals an hour, but I can't sustain that for more than 300-400m. The average for me is more like 725 an hour. I don't have the stamina yet to row that pace for as long as it would take to get to 1100 cals total burn in a reasonable amount of time. It would probably take most of the day on and off and I would be absolutely exhausted at the end of it.

Legit wood water rowing machine is my list of things to get, wish the gyms around here had them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

no one said there is anything wrong with burning that many calories(unless I missed that part)
  • Machka9
    Options

My thing is I want to make sure I can burn them all or at least most off without harm. I love to eat/drink more than my diet is comfortable with. However, I wouldn't feel so bad if I can just go to the gym and work them off.

That's what I do.

One of the best things about exercising lots is that I can eat more ... within reason, of course. :D

I don't necessarily eat all my calories back, but the exercise gives me the freedom to have a bit more flexibility in my diet. For example, my birthday was about a month ago. That weekend, my husband and I cycled up a storm ... and I was able to go to a Mexican Restaurant for dinner (my favourite food), and then the next day I was able to eat half a small cheesecake. :)

BTW - I'm quite steadily losing weight.

• jkoch6599
    jkoch6599 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    kcjchang wrote: »
    Isn't Golden Cheetah marvelous? Wish I have a real power meter but the prices are still too rich. I have KK Road Machine and use VP based on their empirical formula for indoors, and IpBike VP calc for road (corrected in excel based on indoor trends to smooth out spikes and data gaps but optimization getting to be a major problem since I been riding mostly outdoors now with hills on the weekends). Tried using TCX VPower but not getting better results. Hope Watteam is not vapor wear.

For runner, PM is a near term possibility. See http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2015/01/stryd-first-running.html.

Calories estimate from HR monitor is better than nothing (just) but it's not gospel since it is a measurement of one's heart rate, period. The empirical relationship between HR and calories expended is applicable under a narrow set of criteria at best. You are better off using https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/home.

Yeah, Golden Cheetah is an amazing piece of software. Hard to believe that it's free.

The 4iiii left only power meter released very recently for $399, with the right side supposedly coming this summer. Between that and Watteam, a PM will be affordable for just about everyone soon.
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »
    yeah walking and doing abs are not going to burn that many calories in 2.5 hrs. unless you are severely obese then maybe but I still dont think it would be that high. I can walk for 3-4 hrs when I go to the mall and dont even burn that many,even when I was 70 lbs overweight I still didnt burn that many. Also who can do abs for 40+ min? isnt that redundant?.

I have no idea what kind of ab work someone can do for 40 minutes. I take under 10 minutes, including rest, for ab exercises, and they hurt for days afterwards.
    I'll try and make you a list of what I do. I will look up the names of the exercises. It hurts at the end of the workout. I'm kind of an extreme individual at times, but there are more extreme.

I appreciate the thought, but I for one wouldn’t do it anyway tbh. When it comes to exercising, I’m not extreme - I prefer being consistent and safe. Imo, that’s the name of the game for heavy lifting. But, to each their own.
  • jkohnmobile
    jkohnmobile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This looks a lot like the numbers in MFP's database, at least for cycling (for example, 16-19MPH being 12 METs, which at my weight would be about 1000 kcal/hr and I can tell you that's way high.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @Mr_Knight. I'm training for a half marathon, so I just might run another 10 miles after the first 5. I definitely would if I wasn't so damn slow. :smile:

@Emilia777 Thanks for the heads up. I really hate a chest strap. I'll take a look at those reviews.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    @Mr_Knight. I'm training for a half marathon, so I just might run another 10 miles after the first 5. I definitely would if I wasn't so damn slow. :smile:

Ha!

:drinker:
  • Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    Options

@Emilia777 Thanks for the heads up. I really hate a chest strap. I'll take a look at those reviews.

Happy to help, and I’m sure you’ll find something. My local Running Room has the Mio and a 30 day satisfaction return policy, so if you’ve got one around, you’d be able to try out some alternatives. Good luck with your training!!
  • sbuell20
    Options

That's what I do.

One of the best things about exercising lots is that I can eat more ... within reason, of course. :D

I don't necessarily eat all my calories back, but the exercise gives me the freedom to have a bit more flexibility in my diet. For example, my birthday was about a month ago. That weekend, my husband and I cycled up a storm ... and I was able to go to a Mexican Restaurant for dinner (my favourite food), and then the next day I was able to eat half a small cheesecake. :)

BTW - I'm quite steadily losing weight.
    That's awesome! Last time I wanted to lose weight I lost 20lbs in exactly 30 days. I find that I could splurge on the weekends, but kept diet tight on weekdays. Got to know your body, but mine allows for quite an allowance for food and beverage.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    This looks a lot like the numbers in MFP's database, at least for cycling (for example, 16-19MPH being 12 METs, which at my weight would be about 1000 kcal/hr and I can tell you that's way high.
    Based on weight of 170.2, the calculated calories for my March 3 indoor ride of 1:00:01 covering a distance of 18.7 miles are as follows:
    * MFP - 926 (16-20 mph)
    * MET - 973
    * IpBike - 895 (derived from power output based on empirical relationship of speed to power for the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine @ 22% efficiency, 232 average watts).

Disclaimer for 2011 Compendium categories in red are estimated MET values and 16-19mph is one of them. I'm pretty sure that had I been going at 19mph my calories based on power would be in line with MFP (and that's not that big of a deviation from MET calculations). I was getting much bigger discrepancies based on HR when I got back to cycling 10 months ago (on high side at lower speeds if memory serves). With lower speeds, MFP was also very generous.
  • jkohnmobile
    jkohnmobile Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Based on weight of 170.2, the calculated calories for my March 3 indoor ride of 1:00:01 covering a distance of 18.7 miles are as follows:
    * MFP - 926 (16-20 mph)
    * MET - 973
    * IpBike - 895 (derived from power output based on empirical relationship of speed to power for the Kurt Kinetic Road Machine @ 22% efficiency, 232 average watts).

Disclaimer for 2011 Compendium categories in red are estimated MET values and 16-19mph is one of them. I'm pretty sure that had I been going at 19mph my calories based on power would be in line with MFP (and that's not that big of a deviation from MET calculations). I was getting much bigger discrepancies based on HR when I got back to cycling 10 months ago (on high side at lower speeds if memory serves). With lower speeds, MFP was also very generous.
    Outdoors, 19mph wouldn't require anywhere near 232 watts, unless you were way heavier. I would take power numbers from a trainer "calibration curve" with a grain of salt, since things like tire type and pressure can have an impact. And using 22% efficiency is also likely to inflate kcal estimates unless you've had lab testing to determine that's accurate for you. A straight kj = kcal (25% efficiency) is more commonly used.