Is there a cap on how much I can burn?

Options

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Who the hell is this person saying it's not possible to burn over 1000 calories in a work out? I burn near enough to 1000 after a 30 minute run and meeting my personal trainer for 50 minutes. Don't be stupid, of course it's possible, but it takes WORK.

What are you doing during that personal training session? I am going to go out on a limb here and say that this is probably not right.

Not saying you cant kill 1000 in a session, I do it nearly every day, but it can take almost 2 hours at pretty high intensity for me to get there.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. High intensity for two hours. Would you include walking as being high intensity?

OP, maybe consider your calorie burns might be inflated. This person kind of nailed it - you have to work out very hard to actually burn that kind of calories. Not impossible, but considering the majority of your exercise was walking, it probably didn't happen.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    sbuell20 wrote: »
    I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machines Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?

I'm a randonneur. A randonneur is a long distance cyclist. Our events start at 200 km which must be completed within 13.5 hours, including all breaks. Our longest event is 1200 km ... in 90 hours including all breaks. We ride all day and all night, and only catch a bit of sleep here and there.

I have also ridden a couple 24-hour events ... where you cycle for 24 hours, taking only the barest minimum of breaks (i.e. toilet).

The body will stop at some point. I haven't reached that point yet.

my legs hurt reading this post
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Who the hell is this person saying it's not possible to burn over 1000 calories in a work out? I burn near enough to 1000 after a 30 minute run and meeting my personal trainer for 50 minutes. Don't be stupid, of course it's possible, but it takes WORK.

What are you doing during that personal training session? I am going to go out on a limb here and say that this is probably not right.

Not saying you cant kill 1000 in a session, I do it nearly every day, but it can take almost 2 hours at pretty high intensity for me to get there.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. High intensity for two hours. Would you include walking as being high intensity?

Not in the slightest. 1000 calories, for me, is cycling at 160 watts for 1:40. Or maybe a 12ish mile run at 7:30 pace.
  • jkoch6599
    jkoch6599 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Right now I am training for an Ironman at the end of June. I recently measured my FTP at 280 (20 minute test, holding 295 average, take 95% of that for FTP).

Interesting that you are doing it that way - my coach had me doing the opposite. Most of the winter was focused on higher intensity efforts; super LT and VO2 Max with some focus on 20 minute power. Now that the season is starting to come closer, the focus is more on 20 minute (and 1 hour) power and less on higher intensity over LT.

That makes since because an Ironman cycling leg is a long effort near threshold, whereas a road/MTB race is lots more short bursts. I think roadies call your training reverse periodization, and it's really common for triathletes. Good luck in your Ironman!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Its done, I did 2.5 hours of cardio for a decent little burn of 1530 calories. Did some walking and 40 minutes of ab workouts. If nothing else, I beat my old record of two hours of cardio at the gym. Definitely feeling a little fatigued this morning, but will be back this afternoon for my daily workout. Thank you for all the replies and information!

If this number of calories burned came from the machine, it is wrong. Get a heart rate monitor to find out what is really going on.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »

FOr me 20mins of circuit training with a HR around 140, then 40mins of jogging/running at 160 puts me at around 1000 calories in 1hr. My calorie burns where going up not down, the more fit i became the more calories i was burning.

Must be nice to be you. For me, running at a 6.7mph pace for 40 minutes is around 450 cals. I think we should all keep in mind that burns vary with weight.

Also, I would never want to burn over 1000 calories in one cardio workout, but that’s just me. I’m much happier building muscle mass through consistent heavy lifting.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Its done, I did 2.5 hours of cardio for a decent little burn of 1530 calories. Did some walking and 40 minutes of ab workouts.

I hope there was more than that, because no way in hell 2.5 hours of walking and "abs" burns 1500 calories.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    If I did that much exercise in one day I would NOT be able to move the next day or the day after without being in a lot of pain lol.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    yeah walking and doing abs are not going to burn that many calories in 2.5 hrs. unless you are severely obese then maybe but I still dont think it would be that high. I can walk for 3-4 hrs when I go to the mall and dont even burn that many,even when I was 70 lbs overweight I still didnt burn that many. Also who can do abs for 40+ min? isnt that redundant?.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    To get to 1000 calories walking, you're talking about 300 pound body covering 9.5 miles.

Some of the numbers in this thread are clearly based on Zelda physics...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machines Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?
    First question, how do you know you were "sugar low?"
    Did you test it?
    So then you ate a bunch of calories that I presume you did not want to eat.
    Then you want to exercise it all off.
    I am going to suggest that you are going from one extreme to another, and so my answer to the "is there a problem" part of the question is, Yes, that's a problem. If you suspect you have low blood sugar, TEST IT with a glucometer (pic one up at a drug store, along with test strips). MEASURE things so that you can KNOW, and make decisions about the best course of action.
    I didn't test it, I just felt incredibly hungry and no energy, felt like collapsing when I got off work, I just call it low blood sugar. Excellent little debate we have going, loving the information.
    It's nice when the OP gets into the conversation!
    BTW maybe you should take a nap instead of eating? You could set an alarm for 30min and just rest a bit instead of overeating and then over exercising.
    That's a good idea. I usually have difficult time taking naps but will give it a try next time. I just need to be stronger and not splurge, been bad at curbing the hunger the laat few days. Need any ideas on curbing the cravings.
    If you are hungry then you are not eating enough food. if you have cravings that is something entirely different. you are over exercising so no wonder you are hungry.you have to eat some of those calories back or you are going to be hungry and then you will want to binge then you feel bad when you do and then you over exercise again. its a vicious cycle. eat plenty of protein,fats and carbs and you shouldnt feel hungry or crave things either.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    yeah walking and doing abs are not going to burn that many calories in 2.5 hrs. unless you are severely obese then maybe but I still dont think it would be that high. I can walk for 3-4 hrs when I go to the mall and dont even burn that many,even when I was 70 lbs overweight I still didnt burn that many. Also who can do abs for 40+ min? isnt that redundant?.

I have no idea what kind of ab work someone can do for 40 minutes. I take under 10 minutes, including rest, for ab exercises, and they hurt for days afterwards.
  • Emilia777
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    To get to 1000 calories walking, you're talking about 300 pound body covering 9.5 miles.

Some of the numbers in this thread are clearly based on Zelda physics...

+1
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    slucki01 wrote: »
    It's unlikely that you can get in enough exercise to burn off that much of an overage but, if you can, more power to you. However, if you start to do this on a regular basis, it might be a sign of a type of anorexia

He's already done it. Why would he be an anorexic?
    because over exercising to burn off what you eat can be a sign of anorexia. people do it out of fear of gaining weight/getting fat,etc.so when they eat something they feel guilty and feel the need to exercise.I guess it makes them feel like they accomplished something. some people do get addicted to exercise in extremes

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Emilia777 wrote: »

I have no idea what kind of ab work someone can do for 40 minutes. I take under 10 minutes, including rest, for ab exercises, and they hurt for days afterwards.
    same here the longest I have went is maybe 15-20 min otherwise I know I will be hurting if any longer.

• terem00
    terem00 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Last year when I moved it took roughly 10 hours to load and unload. I was moving from a 3 story building to another 3 story building meaning I was constantly up and down the stairs.
    My fit bit recorded my burn and at the end of the day I managed to burn only 1100 calories which was 62000 steps 69 flights of stairs, That's all!
    It took 10 hours to burn 1100 calories yet some people (always an exception) can claim to burn that much by walking for an hour???
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    Is there a logical reason why you would think it is mandatory to go burn off so many calories at one time?

this seems .... excessive. REALLY excessive. Like, you need to see a doctor excessive.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Actually seens its a 1h20 min claim not 30 mins.

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options

You'll have to be pretty fit to burn 1300 calories in a reasonable amount of time...
    Burned five hundred on a break I had earlier back for the other 800 now, about an hour and fifteen for those.

Unless you're very fit, that's unlikely.

Thats not true. In fact it could be the opposite. I'm fat and I run. It burns an amazing amount of calories. I usually burn about 600 calories an hour if I'm running at 5mph. I wear an HRM so I feel that is pretty accurate. The machines also calculate me around the same burn and my heart rate is usually around 160 bpm on average when I running. It has been slowly getting slower as I get more proficient.

As I lose weight the cardio doesn't burn as many calories so I think you actually burn less in cardio when you are super fit. Guess the body isn't working as hard.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    terem00 wrote: »
    Last year when I moved it took roughly 10 hours to load and unload. I was moving from a 3 story building to another 3 story building meaning I was constantly up and down the stairs.
    My fit bit recorded my burn and at the end of the day I managed to burn only 1100 calories which was 62000 steps 69 flights of stairs, That's all!
    It took 10 hours to burn 1100 calories yet some people (always an exception) can claim to burn that much by walking for an hour???

I wouldn't rely on a fitbit's estimation either. Claiming to burn 1000 by walking for an hour is on the other extreme, it also isn't correct.