Is there a cap on how much I can burn?

Options

Replies

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    sbuell20 wrote: »
    I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machines Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?
    First question, how do you know you were "sugar low?"
    Did you test it?
    So then you ate a bunch of calories that I presume you did not want to eat.
    Then you want to exercise it all off.
    I am going to suggest that you are going from one extreme to another, and so my answer to the "is there a problem" part of the question is, Yes, that's a problem. If you suspect you have low blood sugar, TEST IT with a glucometer (pic one up at a drug store, along with test strips). MEASURE things so that you can KNOW, and make decisions about the best course of action.

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    hhn.gif
  • slucki01
    slucki01 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that you can get in enough exercise to burn off that much of an overage but, if you can, more power to you. However, if you start to do this on a regular basis, it might be a sign of a type of anorexia
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    I understand what the machine says. My problem is I have a good friend that is a personal trainer and for some reason I thought he said I didn't need or want to exceed 45 minutes in cardio a day. I couldn't remember why he said that. I do just over an hour of cardio a day, six days a week. But wanted to make sure there was a point to double that,may sound stupid by want sure :-).but I heard conflicting things, or maybe I didn't understand what they were telling me.
    Probably said "you're burning muscle" after 45 minutes, which is a typical PT response. But don't rely on the calorie burn on a machine. Being used daily and for umpteen hours a day, unless they are calibrated (I've never seen one recalibrated unless it's being repaired) daily, the numbers are usually well exaggerated.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    slucki01 wrote: »
    It's unlikely that you can get in enough exercise to burn off that much of an overage but, if you can, more power to you. However, if you start to do this on a regular basis, it might be a sign of a type of anorexia

He's already done it. Why would he be an anorexic?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    There was a study done a few years back on this, how much fat the body can burn per day. It depends on how much fat you have. I converted the formula to a more standard formula, and then I made a chart out of it. Here is the chart, ignore, the "Calories to eat column" and the "Fat Mass Column" The calorie deficit is how many calories MAXIMUM you can burn/(not eat) or a combination of both.

sizz8qnrjbw2.png

Interesting, so whats the source and have there been subsequent stydies on this issue? What happens if your burns exceed the deficit stated?
  • jkoch6599
    jkoch6599 Posts: 30 Member
    Options

I burned 1500 calories before work this morning ;)

https://connect.garmin.com/activity/734378445
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Huh?
  • sbuell20
    sbuell20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a sugar low today and went about 1300 calories over my goal so I'm back on the cardio machines Is there any problem with burning these calories, or will the body stop at some point?
    Did you test it?
    I am going to suggest that you are going from one extreme to another, and so my answer to the "is there a problem" part of the question is, Yes, that's a problem. If you suspect you have low blood sugar, TEST IT with a glucometer (pic one up at a drug store, along with test strips). MEASURE things so that you can KNOW, and make decisions about the best course of action.
    I didn't test it, I just felt incredibly hungry and no energy, felt like collapsing when I got off work, I just call it low blood sugar. Excellent little debate we have going, loving the information.

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i did a half marathon in just over two hours a few weeks ago, i burned a little over 2,000 calories...
  • glevinso
    edited April 2015
    Options
    jkoch6599 wrote: »

5x4:30 at 320 watts with a 200w FTP? Damn... nice work.

Is this a trainerroad workout?

That first hour kinda looks like the Sufferfest's A Very Dark Place, but not *quite* the same...

I am guessing you need to do a FTP test. 200 watts is probably not at all correct for you if you can hold 320 for 5x4:30 ;)
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Who the hell is this person saying it's not possible to burn over 1000 calories in a work out? I burn near enough to 1000 after a 30 minute run and meeting my personal trainer for 50 minutes. Don't be stupid, of course it's possible, but it takes WORK.
  • glevinso
    Options
    Who the hell is this person saying it's not possible to burn over 1000 calories in a work out? I burn near enough to 1000 after a 30 minute run and meeting my personal trainer for 50 minutes. Don't be stupid, of course it's possible, but it takes WORK.

What are you doing during that personal training session? I am going to go out on a limb here and say that this is probably not right.

Not saying you cant kill 1000 in a session, I do it nearly every day, but it can take almost 2 hours at pretty high intensity for me to get there.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Pu_239 wrote: »
    There was a study done a few years back on this, how much fat the body can burn per day. It depends on how much fat you have. I converted the formula to a more standard formula, and then I made a chart out of it. Here is the chart, ignore, the "Calories to eat column" and the "Fat Mass Column" The calorie deficit is how many calories MAXIMUM you can burn/(not eat) or a combination of both.

sizz8qnrjbw2.png

It's the estimated limit on how many calories a body can derive solely from their existing fat stores in a day. I think that point is going to be missed. There are other energy sources in the body other than fat, and some are used preferentially to fat.

This chart doesn't take into account circulating glucose, glycogen stores, or energy derived from consuming other tissues such as muscle.

ETA: In addition, this chart seems to be for men only - 20% BF would not be over fat for any woman, ever.
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Did you test it?
    I didn't test it, I just felt incredibly hungry and no energy, felt like collapsing when I got off work, I just call it low blood sugar. Excellent little debate we have going, loving the information.
    It's nice when the OP gets into the conversation!
    BTW maybe you should take a nap instead of eating? You could set an alarm for 30min and just rest a bit instead of overeating and then over exercising.
  • sbuell20
    sbuell20 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Did you test it?
    It's nice when the OP gets into the conversation!
    BTW maybe you should take a nap instead of eating? You could set an alarm for 30min and just rest a bit instead of overeating and then over exercising.
    That's a good idea. I usually have difficult time taking naps but will give it a try next time. I just need to be stronger and not splurge, been bad at curbing the hunger the laat few days. Need any ideas on curbing the cravings.
  • jkoch6599
    jkoch6599 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

That first hour kinda looks like the Sufferfest's A Very Dark Place, but not *quite* the same...

I am guessing you need to do a FTP test. 200 watts is probably not at all correct for you if you can hold 320 for 5x4:30 ;)

Thanks! It's actually 5 x 5 min, but kind of hard to see on the Garmin charts. I estimate my FTP at 280W based on hitting 3 x 20 with 5 minute rest intervals regularly in training. 200W is the default FTP on Garmin's site I think. I set mine a couple of times, but it keeps changing back. I track my stuff in Golden Cheetah anyway.

The workout isn't from TrainerRoad, but it was indoors. I plan my own workouts, but it's pretty simple...I was focusing on 20 minute power until 6 weeks before my first race, and now I'm focusing on 5 minutes and less.

What kind of cycling training are you doing?
  • glevinso
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Thanks! It's actually 5 x 5 min, but kind of hard to see on the Garmin charts. I estimate my FTP at 280W based on hitting 3 x 20 with 5 minute rest intervals regularly in training. 200W is the default FTP on Garmin's site I think. I set mine a couple of times, but it keeps changing back. I track my stuff in Golden Cheetah anyway.

The workout isn't from TrainerRoad, but it was indoors. I plan my own workouts, but it's pretty simple...I was focusing on 20 minute power until 6 weeks before my first race, and now I'm focusing on 5 minutes and less.

What kind of cycling training are you doing?

Right now I am training for an Ironman at the end of June. I recently measured my FTP at 280 (20 minute test, holding 295 average, take 95% of that for FTP).

Interesting that you are doing it that way - my coach had me doing the opposite. Most of the winter was focused on higher intensity efforts; super LT and VO2 Max with some focus on 20 minute power. Now that the season is starting to come closer, the focus is more on 20 minute (and 1 hour) power and less on higher intensity over LT.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I can run for an hour and half easily enough and i am sure i burn 1500. Or close to it. Plus thru the course of the day I am sure I burn 500. Possibly more depending on how many times I run 6 flights of stairs. Ive read that running over 60 minutes actually increase your calorie burn, for the life of me I cannot find the article. I am positive in basic training I burned probably close to 2,000 a day. (lost 60lbs in 8 weeks). So yes it is more than possible.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Its done, I did 2.5 hours of cardio for a decent little burn of 1530 calories. Did some walking and 40 minutes of ab workouts. If nothing else, I beat my old record of two hours of cardio at the gym. Definitely feeling a little fatigued this morning, but will be back this afternoon for my daily workout. Thank you for all the replies and information!

110 minutes (1 hour and 50 minutes) walking and 40 mins of ab workout for 1530 calories?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.