Thighs Hips and Butt...LADIES lifting heavy

Options

Replies

• RoundDoz
    RoundDoz Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    RoundDoz wrote: »
    thanks guys. VERY true and very helpful. Since we are on the nutrition...my aim is not to lose weight, its to gain muscle. My original post talks about me wanting to lift heavy so that i can firm, lift, and get cut. I know naturally I will lose more wight but thats not the point anymore. I want to the above plus preserve my curves. This is my focus now. So with that being said...this is where my concern for eating enough comes from. I know i have to eat more now but Not sure how to tell if im eating enough for heavy lifting. Im starting next week. From what you all are saying though, Im thinking i would have to start counting...

You're going to have a difficult timing fufiflling these two bolded goals.

Honestly if you aren't lifting now- and you are a reasonable height and weight currently.
    1.) start logging/weighing/tracking your foods.
    2.) Figure out what maintenance is- and do that.
    3.) start lifting (starting strength/strong lifts/new rules of lifting/strong curves)
    4.) stick with it for at least 6 months.
    5.) determine if you need to lose more- or you need gain.
    so youre saying to accomplish my goal...just start. start where i am..eating how i am while logging to see what i can add or take away...dont focus on gaining or losing just lift and see how my body reacts...for about 6 months? then start do the excessive stuff (counting, surplus in calories, etc)...?
  • RoundDoz
    Options
    and why do you say it will be difficult? :( what do you mean....
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    thanks guys. VERY true and very helpful. Since we are on the nutrition...my aim is not to lose weight, its to gain muscle. My original post talks about me wanting to lift heavy so that i can firm, lift, and get cut. I know naturally I will lose more wight but thats not the point anymore. I want to the above plus preserve my curves. This is my focus now. So with that being said...this is where my concern for eating enough comes from. I know i have to eat more now but Not sure how to tell if im eating enough for heavy lifting. Im starting next week. From what you all are saying though, Im thinking i would have to start counting...

Honestly if you aren't lifting now- and you are a reasonable height and weight currently.
    3.) start lifting (starting strength/strong lifts/new rules of lifting/strong curves)
    so youre saying to accomplish my goal...just start. start where i am..eating how i am while logging to see what i can add or take away...dont focus on gaining or losing just lift and see how my body reacts...for about 6 months? then start do the excessive stuff (counting, surplus in calories, etc)...?

No. Do the steps in order. #1 start logging/weighing/tracking your food. #2 figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight and eat that much...#5 after 6 months determine if you should eat more to gain more or eat less to lose (or eat the same to maintain.)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    and why do you say it will be difficult? :( what do you mean....

You get "cut" by losing the fat over the muscles you have (eating less than maintenance). You gain muscle by building muscle mass (eating more than maintenance). You can also work on recomposition which is a slow process but essentially does both at the same time (eat at maintenance). This is why Jo suggested eating at maintenance and lifting, this would allow you to recomp for a little bit. Then when you have a little more experience of how your body is reacting you can decide how you want to proceed from there.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

No. Do the steps in order. #1 start logging/weighing/tracking your food. #2 figure out how many calories you need to maintain your weight and eat that much...#5 after 6 months determine if you should eat more to gain more or eat less to lose (or eat the same to maintain.)

She was correct in her assessment.

Start now- start where she is. no reason she cannot be lifting now while she figures out what maintenance is.

And yes- I think she should hit a solid progressive lifting program for at least 5 months before comitting to either trying to lose or gain- she's not significantly underweight enough for me to say <EAT ALL THE THINGS> <LIFT ALL THE THINGS>

if she was 18 and underweight and a guy- I'd tell her to bulk immediately. But she's not.

She'll see a lot of growth if she just eats at maintenance now and adds in lifting.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Start now- start where she is. no reason she cannot be lifting now while she figures out what maintenance is.

And yes- I think she should hit a solid progressive lifting program for at least 5 months before comitting to either trying to lose or gain- she's not significantly underweight enough for me to say <EAT ALL THE THINGS> <LIFT ALL THE THINGS>

if she was 18 and underweight and a guy- I'd tell her to bulk immediately. But she's not.

She'll see a lot of growth if she just eats at maintenance now and adds in lifting.

Ack. I skipped over your #3. I was assuming the lifting was happening pre-#1.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Ack. I skipped over your #3. I was assuming the lifting was happening pre-#1.

I, based on conversations/context clues here, have assumed no progressive lifting was happening- but ultimately- the goal will be essentially dual tracking food/lifting.

But both things should be done. One can start the tracking literally this second- and the weights tonight/tomorrow- so I tend to list that one first but yeah- dual track is probably a better expression.
  • RoundDoz
    Options
    you guys are really breaking this down to where I can understand. Im excited ...and you are correct@jo. I havent started yet. Ive just been practicing eating enough to maintain and support my workouts (which isnt heavy lifting....just the basic beach body programs) It makes a lot of sense. Track my food and lift and see what my body does. PS could you explain re composition a little. Thats when your body looks different even though you may not have lost a pound. Your body starts to kind of fix itself in proper proportions?
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Lifting and still way curvy. It can be done. Go without fear!
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm also a curvy women and much older (52) and if I had a chance to go back in time and give advice to my 29 year old self I would have started to lift heavy in my 20s. If it is your natural body type to be an hourglass than lifting will not take that a way unless your body fat percentage gets really low (not something that happens by accident!). If you aren't curvy you can create some major curves via squatting, glute thrust etc. I used to think my body type meant that I was just not meant to be strong and athletic. However, you don't need to be "squishy" - keeping those curves "high and proud" is important (think, lots of push-ups, bench pressing, squats, deadlifts etc.). I agree with your avatar "Curvy is Beautiful" however, curvy, strong and able to kickass is the bomb! You are about my height and at 150 I find that is the perfect weight for a balance of curves, having muscle definition and keeping the waist slim (need to loss 20 myself). I would concentrate on lifting heavy and after a few months you may like the results or decide to loss about 10-15 lbs for a leaner look. Many people don't realize how much better 150 looks after lifting for awhile vs. 150 of squishiness.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    you guys are really breaking this down to where I can understand. Im excited ...and you are correct@jo. I havent started yet. Ive just been practicing eating enough to maintain and support my workouts (which isnt heavy lifting....just the basic beach body programs) It makes a lot of sense. Track my food and lift and see what my body does. PS could you explain re composition a little. Thats when your body looks different even though you may not have lost a pound. Your body starts to kind of fix itself in proper proportions?

A body recomp is slow process of when your body composition changes and yes you say the same weight.
    Basically this process is accomplish by eating at maintenance calories+ progressive strength training.

This change is a so body fat% drop with max maintain of muscle.
  • RoundDoz
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Lifting and still way curvy. It can be done. Go without fear!
    wooohooo!!! :):):) Im so glad you showed me that!! you're right. it can be done! I thank you. And keep up the excellent work
  • RoundDoz
    Options
    NextPage wrote: »
    Hi, I'm also a curvy women and much older (52) and if I had a chance to go back in time and give advice to my 29 year old self I would have started to lift heavy in my 20s. If it is your natural body type to be an hourglass than lifting will not take that a way unless your body fat percentage gets really low (not something that happens by accident!). If you aren't curvy you can create some major curves via squatting, glute thrust etc. I used to think my body type meant that I was just not meant to be strong and athletic. However, you don't need to be "squishy" - keeping those curves "high and proud" is important (think, lots of push-ups, bench pressing, squats, deadlifts etc.). I agree with your avatar "Curvy is Beautiful" however, curvy, strong and able to kickass is the bomb! You are about my height and at 150 I find that is the perfect weight for a balance of curves, having muscle definition and keeping the waist slim (need to loss 20 myself). I would concentrate on lifting heavy and after a few months you may like the results or decide to loss about 10-15 lbs for a leaner look. Many people don't realize how much better 150 looks after lifting for awhile vs. 150 of squishiness.

oh!! that post is pure yumminess!! its giving me life!! I am so encouraged. Thank you. It was so simply put and I am not as fearful of losing my POW WOW
  • RoundDoz
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

A body recomp is slow process of when your body composition changes and yes you say the same weight.
    Basically this process is accomplish by eating at maintenance calories+ progressive strength training.

Sounds good for my start:):) I like the idea of that. Im realizing through all your post that most importantly I need to take it one day at a time. Can body recomposition happen while heavy lifting or would i have to lift less to accomplish this?

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have 41" hips and a 28" thighs.

I've been slacking on lifting lately but this is from last summer:
    46173190d3cc4315fe6648c3eb6693df1107.jpg
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    The way you are shaped has more to do with your genetics than any sort of diet or type of exercize. You can't get booties like those women in the pictures unless you are born that way or you had plastic surgery butt implants.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Sounds good for my start:):) I like the idea of that. Im realizing through all your post that most importantly I need to take it one day at a time. Can body recomposition happen while heavy lifting or would i have to lift less to accomplish this?

never lift less.

unless your injured.

• RoundDoz
    Options

never lift less.

unless your injured.

yes sir:)! I thank you so much
  • RoundDoz
    Options
    The way you are shaped has more to do with your genetics than any sort of diet or type of exercize. You can't get booties like those women in the pictures unless you are born that way or you had plastic surgery butt implants.

:) I'll keep that in mind
  • RoundDoz
    Options
    I have 41" hips and a 28" thighs.

I've been slacking on lifting lately but this is from last summer:
    46173190d3cc4315fe6648c3eb6693df1107.jpg

very nice! how long have you been lifting? you have any before pics?