Thoughts on the 5:2 Fast diet

Options

Replies

• hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I do it. I plan fast day meals etc in advance and it's really easy.

I love the health benefits, alertness, better sleep, brighter skin etc. Weight loss is a huge plus but I'm also combining 5:2 with healthy eating and exercise - I don't see it as an excuse to binge etc. I've found 5:2 has opened my eyes to portion control and healthier choices. I haven't touched takeaway since beginning it, not saying I never will, but the idea of eating 1k calories per meal now turns me off when I know I can make a similar meal at home for half the calories! :)
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've found 5:2 has opened my eyes to portion control and healthier choices. I haven't touched takeaway since beginning it, not saying I never will, but the idea of eating 1k calories per meal now turns me off when I know I can make a similar meal at home for half the calories! :)

Yeah, that's what happened to me. I'm now eating better (less, and healthier) the other 5 days of the week. Typically I have a salad at lunch now. Yesterday our Admin sent a link to the local sandwich place where she'll order lunch for a group meeting and asked what we wanted. I looked at the nutritional info and the sandwiches were all about 1,000 calories- less if you skip the cheese and mayo. It will be a non-fast day but I'm getting a 350-calorie (excluding dressing) salad with dressing on the side.
  • lrobson555
    lrobson555 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    bump
  • latkins91
    latkins91 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am on my first day of 5:2 diet, although I don't call it the fasting diet because I am eating throughout the day- to fast you need to do a period of time where you dont eat. Lots have people have told me how difficult the first day was, but to be honest, I have found it quite easy (although I did have the luxury of plenty of successful friend/family who have done this and given me advice).

If you are going to go forward with this I would suggest be prepared for your fast day. My day started with strawberries and fat free yoghurt, I have had cucumber and red pepper sticks with a low fat dip for lunch, I have some cheese crackers (3x ritz) for mid afternoon snack, I have a small banana for later this afternoon when I get home, I am cooking a big fat stirfry later with half a chicken breast and loads of veg. I prepared everything yesterday and worked out the calories, the last thing I fancied doing is standing in a kitchen full of temptation for a lengthy period of time prepping food on my 500cal day!

My last bit of advice - drink loads of water! I have found that has helped ease the hunger pangs for today and I actually feel really good. Not sure how I will feel later, but right now I feel good and think I can stick this out!

Good Luck,

Laura x
  • Too_Unfit_To_Quit
    Too_Unfit_To_Quit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey just wanted to update! So I have now been on the 5:2 for about three months. SUPER manageable! I usually give up after a month or so but I find since starting this I don't WANT the foods I used to crave so badly! Also, I have now dropped a total of 30lbs in 3 months! I'm already have way to my goal! So exciting and an incredible lifestyle change for the better! I hate diets, I have never been a dieter person because I feel that people should be able to live and eat (in moderation). Food shouldn't be looked at painstakingly! This diet in conjuction with MFP on my non-fast days has been just what I needed! Anyone thinking about trying this I really encourage you to give it a go!
  • FluroFaye
    FluroFaye Posts: 130
    Options
    I did the alternate day diet this week and lost 9.4lbs. I already feel great and am hoping for another good loss this week.
  • amyhunty1
    amyhunty1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey just wanted to update! So I have now been on the 5:2 for about three months. SUPER manageable! I usually give up after a month or so but I find since starting this I don't WANT the foods I used to crave so badly! Also, I have now dropped a total of 30lbs in 3 months! I'm already have way to my goal! So exciting and an incredible lifestyle change for the better! I hate diets, I have never been a dieter person because I feel that people should be able to live and eat (in moderation). Food shouldn't be looked at painstakingly! This diet in conjuction with MFP on my non-fast days has been just what I needed! Anyone thinking about trying this I really encourage you to give it a go!

Thank you that is just what I needed to see to encourage me. I have recently had a baby and nothing is shifting this weight. I am currently on 1200 cal on MFP but want to do the 5:2 and then 2000 every other day. I am reading Dr Moselys book and this is what it suggests, fingers crossed this helps. Need something that I can stick to. Thank you!
  • naterciarodrigues58
    naterciarodrigues58 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest - this is not for me. I find myself craving and binging after fasting :/
  • lts42uk
    lts42uk Posts: 162 Member
    Options
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    To each, their own is pretty much what one can derive from this thread.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    I am indeed a contradiction, I watched the Horizon documentary 'Eat Fast and live longer' and' I payed attention'....ah... It's about health and reducing markers for age related disease's and the evidence in favour of 5:2 is too strong to be ignored! I was wrong to infer IF was a fad diet and whatsmore I'm now doing IF. I wanted to add this comment to the thread as I clearly understand that I misunderstood the presentation of 5:2 in a diet context, its not in the literal sense about dieting rather its about health and potential disease mitigation, and thats got be worth a punt 'surely' in anyones book. :blushing:
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am indeed a contradiction, I watched the Horizon documentary 'Eat Fast and live longer' and' I payed attention'....ah... It's about health and reducing markers for age related disease's and the evidence in favour of 5:2 is too strong to be ignored! I was wrong to infer IF was a fad diet and whatsmore I'm now doing IF. I wanted to add this comment to the thread as I clearly understand that I misunderstood the presentation of 5:2 in a diet context, its not in the literal sense about dieting rather its about health and potential disease mitigation, and thats got be worth a punt 'surely' in anyones book. :blushing:

I'd recommend you to go to the 5:2 groups as this is not a very loved subject in the forums..

But other than that, I still don't need to worry about age related diseases, but I must admit that my skin looks better now than before! Not a single spot, not even ToM related! I even use less makeup than before for this very same reason...

I guess something it's something at any age!
  • debbiemormino
    Options
    I started the Fast Diet on last Thursday, Sept 5. I did a fast day and lost 3 pounds. Instead of eating everything I wanted on the other 5 days, I am sticking to 1200 calories a day. MyFitnessPal is helping A LOT! I also have the I phone ap which makes it easy to eat out! I went over my 1200 calories on Sunday while visiting friends and watching the Saints game (#1 N.O, Saints Fan!) and consumed 1500 calories instead including apple dump cake a la mode. Still lost an additional 1/2 pound over the weekend. Yesterday was my second fast day, and I lost another 1.1 pounds. So that's a little better than 4.5 pounds in less than a week. I know its early, and some is water weight, but it beats going in the other direction and I feel great!
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Wow, thanks for coming back to say that :-)
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I started the Fast Diet on last Thursday, Sept 5. I did a fast day and lost 3 pounds. Instead of eating everything I wanted on the other 5 days, I am sticking to 1200 calories a day. MyFitnessPal is helping A LOT! I also have the I phone ap which makes it easy to eat out! I went over my 1200 calories on Sunday while visiting friends and watching the Saints game (#1 N.O, Saints Fan!) and consumed 1500 calories instead including apple dump cake a la mode. Still lost an additional 1/2 pound over the weekend. Yesterday was my second fast day, and I lost another 1.1 pounds. So that's a little better than 4.5 pounds in less than a week. I know its early, and some is water weight, but it beats going in the other direction and I feel great!

You're losing because you're averaging 1,000 calories a day, not the miracle of fasting. 5:2 isn't meant to be a VLCD. You aren't supposed to restrict like that on the non fast days. What you're doing is the hyped up fad version of 5:2 that gives it a bad name.
  • kdsp2911
    kdsp2911 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later :smile:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You're losing because you're averaging 1,000 calories a day, not the miracle of fasting. 5:2 isn't meant to be a VLCD. You aren't supposed to restrict like that on the non fast days. What you're doing is the hyped up fad version of 5:2 that gives it a bad name.

@Mokey41 - we have locked horns in the past but you are 100% correct here.

@Debbie - please don't continue this path - you are way under-eating. This is NOT how the 5:2 Fast Diet is supposed to be used. The five days are supposed to be eating normally not at a severe calorie deficit. You are confusing Fast=Fasting with Fast=Speedy. Losing weight that quickly is highly unlikely to be healthy or sustainable.
  • josephinabonetto
    josephinabonetto Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I eat at TDEE on non fast days. I would be miserable if I didn't.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    And me. I actually eat more than 500 on fast days, too, but I actually do Eat Stop Eat (a full 24 hour water fast) rather than 5:2.

In fact, I don't count calories AT ALL at the moment, now that I have a handle on what a normal food day should look like.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    it's a great way for some people to justify binge eating

and a great way for a lot of people to lose a pound a week

So is eating the 7:0 diet, where you show moderation and self control

Also a great way to give the digestive system a regular rest; especially if you continue to drink plenty of water on those days.