the military diet

Options
Anyone tried the military diet before? Experiences? Was it hard and did it work? ?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Just a big no. Why not just try CICO? It's tried and proven to work for anyone.
  • mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I've seen more posts about the military diet in the last week than I have in the entire time I've been on MFP. Yes, I've tried the military diet. Twice. Gained the weight back both times. It's not sustainable. At all. It's miserable & low calorie.
  • gypsychic33
    gypsychic33 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't know what cico is?
  • elphie754
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out. Meaning eating less than you burn.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why not try something sustainable?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Step one, start tracking what you normally eat. Step two, start cutting back (an easy place to start is to try for the goal MFP sets).
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    Three days of structured diet followed by four days of healthy eating doesn't seem crazy to me, is it? The site I read said you can repeat as often as you want, with that pattern..?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Three days of structured diet followed by four days of healthy eating doesn't seem crazy to me, is it? The site I read said you can repeat as often as you want, with that pattern..?
    look up all the former posts on this and you will see people over and over say that "every time I do it I lose". As aforementioned, why not try something sustainable?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options

It's all a gimmick, a distraction from what really works.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Honestly I don't see anything outrageous about it? Day 1 is 1400 calories, day 2, 1300, day 3 1200, then 1500 for four days, repeat.

I mean, the menu is really boring, and super restrictive for those three days, but it's not really a starvation or juicing diet. They do make outrageous claims and seem to be anti-sugar, but eh.

I'd rather eat food I enjoy, within my goals and continue to lose weight - but hey, whatever works for you.
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    I really need structure or else I cheat! I figure I will give it a try and if I can't stand it oh well. I don't have that much weight to lose only about 15-20 pounds, so I will only probably do it a Couple times and eat a bit healthier.

Thanks for the responses so far!
  • elphie754
    Options
    Okay, see you back here in a few weeks when you gain in all back.
  • gypsychic33
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

Sorry, but no reason to be rude...
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Not really rude, it's just what happens over and over again. Why not make your own structure then. Plan out your meals for the week or something.
  • elphie754
    Options

I see no reason to sugar coat a plan that will likely fail. I don't sugar things- ever.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I just looked it up and it does not sound sustainable. Big claims are made, none of which are sustainable in the long run.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

I don't think it's rude, I think it's truthfully blunt.

People who go on unsustainable generally gain weight back. That's what makes them unsustainable.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I starved, I lost weight, gained it back on the fourth day eating healthy. I had a lot of headaches with it. Didn't like it at all to try it again.
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Military diet ? Need structure ? Join the marines , they will keep you motivated and you will lose weight plus get your fitness on. Ooh rah !
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I really need structure or else I cheat! I figure I will give it a try and if I can't stand it oh well. I don't have that much weight to lose only about 15-20 pounds, so I will only probably do it a Couple times and eat a bit healthier.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Or you could commit to eating less than you burn for a decent amount of time and moving more

Or is that not enough structure for you?

Because I am sure all of us previously unsuccessful dieters recognise the "figure I will give it a try", "oh well" and "probably" attitude coupled with a desire for a quick fix.

That is what doesn't work, that is what keeps you on the hamster wheel.

Step off it and commit

Or keep your extra 15lbs