the military diet

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Just to be clear. The military diet isnt 500 cals a day is it? I thought it was quite a bit higher than that. Also OP is actually already a healthy weight so jabs as to how did u get overweight in the first place dont apply. I honestly applaud u for STILL replying despite all the critism. I may not support this kind of diet but good on ya for being fairly level headed in ur decisions

From their website:
    The Military Diet provides under 1000 calories a day, so you’re going to lose weight if you follow it

That is low calorie. It's a horrendous menu too. This kind of reminds me of the boiled egg diet I tried years ago, which had the cabbage soup with it.

All I see is people telling the truth.

As for level headed- no, she's not being level headed. She asked for opinions and she's rebuffing all that try to steer her away from the fad and toward simply eating at a calorie deficit.

Finally, 11 pounds needs to be lost at a much slower rate because otherwise you risk losing lean muscle mass as well, and your chances of gaining weight back are more likely because VLCD's are not sustainable.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Chrysalid2014 Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    Okay so first morning went well, except it is really a lot if food! I was full about halfway through.

Lolz.

It always amazes me on MFP how many people claim they are "too full to eat more" on a VLCD. How did you get overweight in the first place if you are "full" on 500 calories a day?

People overeat for all kinds of reasons, not always because they don't feel "full".
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Guys, I did not flag it, someone else did.

I think it was a mix if the grapefruit and peanut butter that made me feel so full. I don't usually eat grapefruit.

I usually feel hungry shortly after breakfast and tend to over eat later in the day because of it.

Okay, I've got an idea for you.

First, go to your settings and change your goals to lose a half pound a week. Next, open your log and plan out your meals for the rest of the day and stay within your calorie limits. Make sure to (1) put something in during the time when you know you will overeat and (2) save some extra calories just in case you want to eat something more. All the while, stay within your calorie goals.

Rinse and repeat every day. It really works.
  • LovelyIvy466
    LovelyIvy466 Posts: 387 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Okay so first morning went well, except it is really a lot if food! I was full about halfway through.

Lolz.

It always amazes me on MFP how many people claim they are "too full to eat more" on a VLCD. How did you get overweight in the first place if you are "full" on 500 calories a day?

People overeat for all kinds of reasons, not always because they don't feel "full".

I don't think that comment comes from bitchiness. I think people are frustrated- this is not a site that supports VLCD. The poster is giving updates on her fad VLCD. Of course people here won't react well to it. They think it's a terrible, unwise idea that will do no good, so of course comments won't be supportive of that path.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Its what? 3 days long? Honestly if this was a diet plan for the rest of someones life ya it would be concerning. But sometimes we need to experience it for ourselves. Ive done fad diets they suck and dont work thats why im here. Chances are same will happen with OP. Live and learn . Shes doing it anyways
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Lolz.

I think you're missing the point. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Its what? 3 days long? Honestly if this was a diet plan for the rest of someones life ya it would be concerning. But sometimes we need to experience it for ourselves. Ive done fad diets they suck and dont work thats why im here. Chances are same will happen with OP. Live and learn . Shes doing it anyways

I realize she really wanted validation for doing the diet, even though the question was phrased as asking for opinions, but this site and many people here do not support very low calorie diets. There's no reason to sugar coat. :)
  • Chrysalid2014
    edited April 2015
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Lolz.

How's that? You were questioning how someone could become overweight in the first place if they felt full after consuming a 500 calorie meal, so my comment was in reply to that.
  • Chrysalid2014
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Fad diets like this work great! That's why everyone is so thin!

When I was still in my teens my best friend went on the "Scarsdale Diet", a fad diet of the 1980s. She had been approx 40lbs overweight her whole life. She went on this diet for two months, got very svelte, then transitioned to a healthy diet and hasn't been a pound overweight since (approx 30 yrs ago). So, fad diets clearly do work for some people to lose weight, provided they are followed up by a sensible eating plan to maintain the ideal weight.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

When I was still in my teens my best friend went on the "Scarsdale Diet", a fad diet of the 1980s. She had been approx 40lbs overweight her whole life. She went on this diet for two months, got very svelte, then transitioned to a healthy diet and hasn't been a pound overweight since (approx 30 yrs ago). So, fad diets clearly do work for some people to lose weight, provided they are followed up by a sensible eating plan to maintain the ideal weight.

Everyone always knows an exception to the norm. :yawn:
  • SLLRunner
    Options

Lolz.

How's that? You were questioning how someone could become overweight in the first place if they felt full after consuming a 500 calorie meal, so my comment was in reply to that.

Did you read through the thread.
    My overall plan it to eat healthier, so I'm not freaking out over losing with this and then gaining it back from eating the way I have been. Thanks for all the help so far!

Besides this, eating too much is what makes us overweight.
  • SLLRunner
    Options

She's the minority. For the majority they are not sustainable.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

And my great-grandfather smoked cigarettes daily until he died peacefully in his sleep in his late 90s. Everyone can point to an exception.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear. The military diet isnt 500 cals a day is it? I thought it was quite a bit higher than that. Also OP is actually already a healthy weight so jabs as to how did u get overweight in the first place dont apply. I honestly applaud u for STILL replying despite all the critism. I may not support this kind of diet but good on ya for being fairly level headed in ur decisions

From their website:
    The Military Diet provides under 1000 calories a day, so you’re going to lose weight if you follow it

That is low calorie. It's a horrendous menu too. This kind of reminds me of the boiled egg diet I tried years ago, which had the cabbage soup with it.

Boiled eggs AND cabbage soup????

tQckDDjjFb-8.png

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I really need structure or else I cheat! I figure I will give it a try and if I can't stand it oh well. I don't have that much weight to lose only about 15-20 pounds, so I will only probably do it a Couple times and eat a bit healthier.

Thanks for the responses so far!

give yourself structure!! plan your meals and snacks and grocery store trips. my diary is almost completely filled out for the rest of the week!!

Yup. Prelogging is awesome.

• SLLRunner
    Options

From their website:

Boiled eggs AND cabbage soup????

tQckDDjjFb-8.png

Yep. I think I lasted on it one or two days. I think those around me lasted on it way less. :dizzy:
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
  • meghanduprey
    meghanduprey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    i have no idea what "the military diet" is but i spent 10 years in the military and let me tell you, it's probably NOT a military diet. MRE's, chow hall food, and fried food they give you at outposts are not what makes a great diet!
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Ijeu30l0axjil.jpg
    I'm in trouble now! The diet is rude.